Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Which game should be remade as part of the Community Project?

Link's Awakening
- 16 (34.8%)
Oracle of Ages
- 1 (2.2%)
Oracle of Seasons
- 3 (6.5%)
Majora's Mask
- 16 (34.8%)
Wind Waker
- 7 (15.2%)
(Something else, specifiy with post)
- 3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Community Project's Game  (Read 21059 times)

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
Re: Community Project's Game
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2009, 11:37:15 pm »
  • The Mike
What's wrong with remaking the first Zelda. It doesn't seem that hard to do either and like I said before, you could always add extra things to it and expand the storyline a bit, I dunno.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2009, 11:42:27 pm »
None of the above.

Zelda II: Adventure of Link

I'd give it a 3d face lift like what they did with Castlevania for the PSP.
Possibly have someone rip models from SSB or something.

No one really touches z2 and it would be nice to see something different for once.
Plus, you can "fix" some of the things that were criticized with it and/or add new features.

It's a basic sidescroller with rpg elements that would be somewhat simple to code and work together with other fangame coders.

The only main stepping stone would be getting a 3d modeler.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2009, 11:42:39 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Just an FYI, assembla is now fee-based. It's no longer free.

However if people really wish to use subversioning control, I can setup a server for it.

FYI, that's not true. I've been using it for a while, for free.
Really? I'd been using it for a few months a while back. They sent several emails to me and a few people I've worked with, that they were no longer going to be offering a free service and users would have to upgrade. I guess they must have reverted that or something. I'll go have a look.

EDIT: Huh, looks like they restored the free plan. My mistake.

:)

How exactly does Assembla work? I looked at the site and couldn't get much info about the interface.

Assembla itself is mainly used for organizing. You can create Tickets: tickets point out what has to be done. You can assign them to team members, or out in the open, and designate priorities to these tasks.

There is also SVN Control on there. It basically acts as a repository where you can update your code, and commit. I'm not sure if this is Java exclusive, though. I use it with Eclipse.

What's wrong with remaking the first Zelda. It doesn't seem that hard to do either and like I said before, you could always add extra things to it and expand the storyline a bit, I dunno.

I don't see anything wrong with it either, but Link's Awakening (personally) seems a bit more interesting.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2009, 12:52:21 am »
  • Pichuscute
A regular 2d community project has already failed (a really great one, I might add), I don't know how something like Oot2d or MM2d is supposed to actually be finished when our other community project failed.

How so? With the "King of Thieves" game, we had to come up with everything, including any original game-mechanics (tight-rope, magic carpet, pick-pocketing), from scratch. In fact, to be honest, I think our inability to solidify the gameplay was what killed it. Pick-pocketing, etc., became a back and forth that never ended, because there was always "one more idea" that could make it better. And to an extent, there wasn't really anyone to "cut the crap" and make the final decision.

MM2d or OoT2d would actually be easier, because the story from beginning to end, the basic style, and all the gameplay mechanics are already pretty much laid out for us. MM2d or OoT2D are only hard because, as has been mentioned, people are unwilling to compromise certain 3d features. They try to make things exactly as they were in the original, when it's all but impossible to do. They want the Forest Temple to have the twisty hallway, they want Gohma to drop down from the ceiling when you look up at her. If they would learn to compromise a little, they wouldn't actually be any harder than an ordinary fan-game.

I miss the old Community Project, though, to be honest. Maybe if we just started over, cleared out all the old threads, and just distilled the key points of the original idea (theive's gang, Ganondorf in disguise, pick-pocketing and magic carpet, rich and poor side of town, rival thief, a few other things), it might be feasable again. The problem was the idea got too bloated. Ideas were flying every which way until it became cluttered, with noone to say "no more", but the original concept is still rock-solid, I think.
I agree with everything you said. It's not that OoT2d or MM2d would be harder, it's just that we will probably have the same indecision problemswe had before (and lack of spriters?). I miss the oldproject, too. If we could just get someone to organize it well, and take charge (and get the staff to support it better), we could get it finished.

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2009, 01:01:19 am »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
First, using Assembla with GameMaker (assuming you mean Assembla SVNs) would be near pointless since GameMaker sources are one file so you can't particularly version them.

Second, Assembla is free if files are kept public which is fine if its open source (last I checked anyway).

I C'Z U

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2009, 02:07:36 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
First, using Assembla with GameMaker (assuming you mean Assembla SVNs) would be near pointless since GameMaker sources are one file so you can't particularly version them.

Second, Assembla is free if files are kept public which is fine if its open source (last I checked anyway).

I'm sorry, I keep forgetting you guys don't use Java. We don't use like, GameMaker, in university :P. Was just giving some good tips. You could always use Assembla for the ticketing. It's great with keeping track of who's doing what :).

Assembla's free in general...I don't know. We've had no problems so far with our project.

Do what you guys want. I'm just saying through experience that you're going to need some sort of way, other than a forum, to keep track of who's doing what, and what exactly needs to be done.
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2009, 03:04:40 am »
None of the above.

No one really touches z2 and it would be nice to see something different for once.
Plus, you can "fix" some of the things that were criticized with it and/or add new features.

It's a basic sidescroller with rpg elements that would be somewhat simple to code and work together with other fangame coders.

Not really. I'm an experienced 3d modeler, I've been doing it for years. I'm no programmer (beyond GML), but I can whip up some good models. I'd actually say that's one of the smaller hurdles.

Having said that, I really don't think that would work as a community project...like, at all. You'd have one overworked modeler and a few of the more skilled C programmers.

Plus, I think you underestimate the hurdles of programming a 3d game.

It is a pretty epic idea though.

EDIT: Oh, are you saying keep it a side-scroller, just with 3d models? That's definitely more feasible than what I thought you were saying, but I still stand by everything I said before. Not really a viable Community Project.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:17:58 am by legendarylugi »
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2009, 05:52:53 am »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:57:38 am by Darklight »
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2009, 12:22:27 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
http://www.assembla.com/flows/flow/ZFGC_Community_Project

Oh wow you guys actually took my advice! I'm kind of surprised here.

Nice job on the organizing so far.

EDIT: I am now watching the group, and I guess you guys now know my real name.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:25:46 pm by Starforsaken101 »
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2009, 12:28:51 pm »
BTW thats the old assembla :P. Was created a year and a bit back. Not sure how active it is atm.
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2009, 12:56:32 pm »
None of the above.

Lol while we are at it why don't we remake the crappy CDI Zelda as well?
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »
I also created a wiki for it to have a centralised space to store information.  Needless to say that didn't quite work out either.
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2009, 02:56:30 pm »
I was just thinking and the most remarks said here is that the project would be to big to do and not feasible. So my thought was, why don't we just start of with making 1 dungeon. A dungeon contains action, exploration and puzzle elements. We can create a new dungeon or recreate a dungeon from one of the existing games.

When we create just one dungeon, we are doing most of the basic game code. And when it is finished we at least have something and we can always choose to continue on it, by adding other dungeons and maybe eventually an overworld.
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2009, 09:39:11 pm »

We made that last year actually :P, we'll have to clear it out if we want to use it for the new one. But I'm more than willing to promote some people to project leaders so they can organize things once we get started.
We could have looked on your deviantart if we wanted to know anyway :P
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:42:23 pm by Darklight »
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2009, 10:01:19 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com

We made that last year actually :P, we'll have to clear it out if we want to use it for the new one. But I'm more than willing to promote some people to project leaders so they can organize things once we get started.
We could have looked on your deviantart if we wanted to know anyway :P

I don't think I have my real name on there either. Meh, oh well. Hahaha.

Let me know what happens with the Assembla account.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2009, 05:37:59 am »
  • Silly cat!
None of the above.

You, my good sir, are officially insane.

Actually I'd like to see Zelda II remade as well. Just don't think we should do it.

None of the above.

Lol while we are at it why don't we remake the crappy CDI Zelda as well?
Oh now that's just too far. Zelda II was a good game, and the CD-i games were downright hilarious, and deserve to exist for that soul purpose.

"I'm so hungry, I could eat an octorok!"

Still supporting OoT2D or MM2D.

Hoffy.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2009, 03:50:18 pm »
On another thought away from the Zelda gameplay style, how about Fire Emblem styled Zelda?
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2009, 04:03:58 pm »
Are we going to make a decision or do we continue to debate until no one is interested anymore?
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2009, 05:28:55 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Are we going to make a decision or do we continue to debate until no one is interested anymore?

^ this.

Indecision is at least PART of what killed the last one. I'm sure there was a poll going somewhere, why not give that a date for people to vote by if they haven't already then do it?

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2009, 05:36:24 pm »
Equating the "indecision" in this poll and the indecision in the previous community project is a leap in logic. The old community project's indecision was based on development tasks not development onset. Ultimately though, if this poll remains close and looks like it will be that way, the choice is going to go to the project that would be the easiest to do - currently that project being Link's Awakening. The likelihood is that we will be doing Link's Awakening.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 80 queries.

anything