Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Dreams  (Read 26051 times)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Dreams
« on: March 19, 2009, 01:57:24 pm »
The updates go from most recent to oldest.

Update: So I wasn't kidding when I mentioned I lose interest! This is the newest update to the Oracle of Dreams world. I figured I'd just bump this instead of making a new topic since there's so much information here. :P

So I created an earthy Unicorns Fountain that will make an appearance in the "game." [assuming there is one.] I'm not sure how important it will be, but I've always wanted to sprite it. I sort of like how it came out. We'll see. I might make it a bit more true to form in comparison to the original.

I also have a new species that are [blatantly] edited from the bear Link can control in the Oracle series. They're called Gheatians [Gee-tians] and they live in a recently frozen over desert north of the Gerudos. I'm currently mapping it, so I figured I'd just post the tileset to get some feedback. I created a pretty large glacier-esque object to use around the area and a telescope that will possibly be usable. The Gheatians are a highly enlightened tribe that study divination and the stars. They're also struggling to maintain a healthy environment what with all the recent snow. Let me know what you guys think!

Update: All right I know I said I would be working on the caves the other day, but I got a bit wrapped up in school work. So, this is the color palette I've come up with for the Zora caves. What does everyone think? I have another palette in mind that uses more green blues rather than purples, but I'm not sure. Does this look all right? I need some opinionnnsss~ I don't want to get too far in this and then have to retile the whole thing again. :P
or

Update: So, here is the first of the three Zora maps. This is the swamp which is the only part you'll see on the overworld map. The second is an underwater section and the third is in the caves where the few Zoras that remain live. The caves haven't been infected by the swamp muck yet and I'll be tiling that next. :] Comments and ideas are always welcomeee.

Update: Here are the minor storylines of the game so far. It's a lot of text so you can just skip down and kinda look at pictures it you don't wanna read it. Hahah.

The forest used to be the courtyard for the castle. In an act of love, the King and Queen each planted a tree to grow with their kingdom. You'll get the Master sword from a quest dealing with the two trees hence the Triforce symbol on each. In an act of rebellion ten years ago, a prince of Hyrule cut down one of the ancient trees causing an uproar throughout the kingdom. In turn, things became hostile between races and the general glow of Hyrule began to fade. The forest slowly began dying as the fight continued as did any other part of the land which was far from the peace within the castle walls. The Kokiri fled closer and closer to the castle but those left behind turned to Moblins and live in the dead section that's orange. There is a man who live in the house by the tree that was cut down who has been trying to restore the peace by planting a new tree each year. Recently one took [which is why there's a space in front of the tree with crack in the pavement] and a small tree began to grow. This tree is similar to the Deku trees through out the series and can speak. She tells Link that she was among the few things in Hyrule which maintains it's purity, but sadly, she would be dying soon as well. Her roots are entwined with that of the dead tree and the pavement prevents her from growing.

In the Gerudo Dessert, the Gerudos had recently found diamonds in the mines surrounding their home in the sand. They used their fortune to build an empire that is beginning to rival that of the castle and also export goods to people all throughout the kingdom. A few years prior to the events of this game, they attacked a wondering tribe of Tokay in the dessert and now keep them as their slaves. They have their own separate island off the side of theirs and can only be transported to it by a guard. There are a few Gerudos who don't agree with the way Ganondorf is running his people and are forming a select group to help free the Tokays from his oppressive hand. These few Gerudos live on the small beach north of the building and "guard" the goods that are inside the cave. In reality, they've been slowly making a passage for the Tokay to travel through in attempt to escape.

As I've said, on the mermaid island, you'll get the mermaid fins which allow you to swim in the sea rather than relying on a boat. You have to battle the head mermaid in order to prove your worth and I'm thinking her sprite will resemble that of Twinrovas. The water just before the area is poisoned and you'll only be able to access this island once you get a certain item [which I haven't thought of yet.]

The Gorons mountain is falling because they are so far from the castle. The farther down the mountain you go, the hotter it gets. While the Gorons can survive intense heat, they much perfer the cooler temperatures at the mountain tops and since they've become accustomed to this, they can only sit in the heat for a few hours. The heat, however, has been somewhat beneficial. It's allowed a new race to come to Hyrule, the Subrosians, who've left their previous home which had collapsed in on itself. So the smaller tribe which had suffered some casualties from the incident found comfort in the arms of the caring Gorons and now share their mountain. The Gorons use the Subrosians healing lava springs for medical purposes and the Subrosians use the Gorons for, obviously shelter, but also protection and their bomb flowers. The bomb flowers grow a little differently in such heat, but the work just the same. The Gorons will also still have their homes in the caves on top of the ones on the overwold map. The Big Goron is inside and the tribe leader is sick and needing an item inside the dungeon. He resides in the building with all the pointy rocks in front of it and there is a fairy on top of the mountain that will help you survive in the high temperatures of Subrosia and the caves.

Hryule Market has a few sections to it. Not too much story yet for this area, but parts of it have also suffered from being so far from the castle. The gray area suffers from tremendous poverty and theft and has been forgotten by the kingdom. Few people live in this area, but those who do are terribly miserable. There is also a section that was flooded by a freak accident. The dam which held the water out broke and the town acted as a basin for all of the water. It was left unexplored after the accident but there are people still living there. The northern sections of Hyrule Market are probably the only harmonious areas left in Hyrule. They are people who live with ignorance to the kingdom's problems and and rich enough to keep it up. The Temple of [Time?] holds the Triforce. The power of the Triforce has been diminishing as the Hyrule is overtaken by hate thus causing areas far away to fall. Zelda's courtyard also makes an appearance in this game since the members of the Hyrule Court can no longer venture into the forest as they once could.

Aaaand that's it so far. Plus the bit about the Zoras from the post above. Nothing too much on items yet. I'm really just thinking about story while I create the map. I want it to be interactive and I want places to have meaning rather than just be towns. So, kudos to everyone who read all that! Haha.

Update: I figure I'll write a little about the title of the game. It'll be the third game from the Oracle series that never was with Farore as the main Oracle. She's the Oracle of Dreams, coupled with premonition powers, she's able to cross over into a dream-like world where possibilities multiply. When Farore foresees an unjust future for Hyrule, she seeks Link's help and grants him [some object yet to be determined] that allows him to access this dream world as well. At first, Link can only cross over for a limited time and it is only until he trains his mind to focus is he able to fully use the benefits of Farore's gift. [Longer time limits will be available via upgrades from Farore similar to new songs for the Harp of Ages or the ability to change new seasons with the Rod of Seasons.] That's what i have in mind currently. .. I'm excited. Thoughts? Alsoooo, I wanna keep this in the graphics section if the mods don't mind because 1. This is all really just a concept and I'm only working on the map currently and 2. the graphic section needs some lovin'. :] Thanks!

So I made the little mermaids island. I'm really pleased with the color palette for this one. [And the Goron's, actually] I worked with the colors for a while until I came up with this. This is where you'll get the mermaid fins to swim in the sea. They're inside the mermaid egg that in front of the girl who looks suspiciously like Ariel.. Hahaha. Hope you guys like it. Comments, please. Suggestions welcomeee!

Update: This is the map I have so far. I bit more needs to be done in the forest and that's not the location for the ranch area which is also incomplete. Otherwise, I have to complete the mermaid island, the Zora area which may include a separate underwater map and some type of town in Hyrule Field similar to Kakariko Village. Then just some piecing together and I'll be good to goooo. Goron City and the Subrosian section is complete and there are some minor updates to Gerudo Valley. Pick it apart. Tell me what you see and what should be fixed. You can kinda tell what I did first and how the style progressed. Haha.. I think I'm going to go back and hit the north end of town nearest to the castle.

Link: http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/spritecollector2/map.png

Update: Goron City. These poor guys always get shorted when it comes to habitat.. They never have homes, just caves. :[ So I gave them homes. There will still be caves, but I figured their overworld section needed some lovin'. As the mountain goes farther down the page, it's going to turn volcanic-like with more lava so the Subrosians can share with the Gorons. That's why it's not quite finished at the bottom. There are a couple tiling errors I need to clean up still, but this is basically what it will look like. Also, my Gorons harvest different types of rocks to eat and lay eggs which only hatch under extreme heat conditions. :P Thoughts?

So, does anyone remember that map I keep posting that's unfinished? Haha well this is part of it. In my version of Gerudo Desert, the Gerudos have taken to the seas sort of like in Majoras Mask and are merchants [not the nice kind] that sell jewels they discovered in the caves of their old home. So, they built a grander abode and live there now using the caves only for mining. Aaaand the Gerudo's noticed a tribe of Tokay wondering through the desert and took them hostage. They work as their slaves now mining and digging up those ships they found to expand the Gerudo's methods of travel. What do you guys think? I like how it looks, I guess. I feel like as a whole, it's doesn't gel so well in terms of color, but I figure you won't see it all together like this while you're playing the game [that isn't actually in production. hah.] Are the tents okay? I'm trying to use only official GB sprites, but I had to make the tents. The ones on the towers are pretty ugly and I'm going to remake them, but what about the ones in the desert? Are they okay? Do they fit? Also, I made a little Ganondorf sprite at the top of the tower. :]

Edit2: A more current version. Not sure if it's done yet.

EDITTT: I think I wanna change the sand inside the fortress now that I look at it. :|

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:40:40 am by Sprite Collector »
  • My Photostream

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
Re: Gerudo Valley/Desert
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 02:42:25 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Looks sexy enough to me, except for the tents in the desert. They look, well, bad. D: Angled scenery and GB style don't mesh well, imo.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 02:44:46 pm by Source »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:20:28 pm »
Looks sexy enough to me, except for the tents in the desert. They look, well, bad. D: Angled scenery and GB style don't mesh well, imo.

I would like to agree with thee tents, the colour is too powerful, and their needs to be a south facing entrance to fit the style, or at least not an isometric one. Besides that however this has been mapped out rather well, it is clear that their has been a lot of thought go into this and your effort shows. Good work.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 02:33:56 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
^^The !@#$%?  I was going to comment on how nice the tents are!  May I steal them?

BTW, here's the mountain tops edited with the barriers removed, you may want to use them.  They're from Zelda Classic and I don't know who made them, probably Wild Bill or Mr.Z…

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:50:10 am by Shefali »
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:19:27 am »
Hmm. All right, I will try to do something face south. I figured it might be okay because it's similar to some of the more detailed objects they used in the GB games like the wagon thing in the beginning of Seasons and some of the dungeon entrances. We'll see, I'll try and see what I come up with. :]

And thanks Shefali! Yeah, they're custom. I worked on em for a little while. I was having some trouble making something I liked. And you can surely use them.

I like those mountain tiles. :] Thank you. Do you by any chance have the tiles for the railroad tracks inside the dungeons? I wanted to add them to this piece but didn't have a ROM or a save file to find them!
  • My Photostream
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 03:34:48 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Thanks~

And yeah, here's the track tiles.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:42:04 am »
Oh awesome, thank you thank you. I didn't want to make a topic separately for them. hah
  • My Photostream

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 11:33:45 pm »
Sprite Collector, may I use this map's tileset for my own game?
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 05:16:37 am »
Yeah, I mean, as long as you're not using the map itself? Or is that what you meant? All of the tiles are tiles directly from the game except the tents. Otherwise it's just recolors and such. But surely you can use them for directional purposes. But the map itself I'm hoping to use in a game I'd like to make. I have about a little more than half of the overworld tiled. I also have an updated version of this. Lemme upload it. Maybe you'll like it more. Hold uppp.

edit:
Still don't think it's quite finished.. we'll see.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:20:01 am by Sprite Collector »
  • My Photostream
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:15:43 am »
I think the tents don't fit because of the angle they're facing. But besides that it's looking great. :)

Jeod

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 12:11:11 pm »
Yeah I just meant the tiles, not the map itself. Thanks!
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 02:14:49 pm »
Personally I like the tents as they are, I don't really see how people can complain about the angle of the tents.

Jeod

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 02:35:50 pm »
Perhaps because it'd be harder to allow Link to enter the tent?

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:18:42 pm »
Personally I like the tents as they are, I don't really see how people can complain about the angle of the tents.

Those red tents do look good on their own, but they are completely out of style with the rest. The angled view of the tents has 3 surfaces (top, front and side), while the angled view of the rest only shows 2 surfaces (top and front). It breaks the illusion.
Re: Goron City/Death Mountain GB Style
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 10:00:14 am »
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm keeping the tents in mind as I move forward. :]

Here's the next piece of the map. Info updated in the first post.
  • My Photostream

Jeod

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 12:23:09 pm »
Say, that looks pretty good! Are you going to keep the water behind the mountains or make a sky background? The mountain doesn't look that high up when the water is there.

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 01:52:41 pm »
Wow, those houses look really good and the city has a really good layout. Overall it has a really good feeling, but there are some errors I would like to point out.

1) Is a perspective error. (see the first picture below) You probably copied the above part of the gap and pasted and vertically mirrored it to become the lower part. When I look at this, it seems as if I look straight down into the gap instead of an angle, like with the rest of the map. Just as with the tents it breaks the perspective and the illusion. The same counts for the mountain pillars.

2) (see second picture) Like Jeod said with the water in the back, the mountain doesn't look that high. To me it actually looks like a crater, where the back wall is a dam that holds back the water. Additionally the wall is very thin and doesn't show any mass, like a mountain. When Link blows a hole in the dam or the goron punches through, this crater fills with water and the gorons drown. Considering it is a mountain, it does look is if a closed up cave is there, but more a closed up doorway to the beach in the back.

3)(see third picture) The third thing is more something personal, but I think the obstructions on some of the stairs are a bit misplaced. I don't know if you intended the stair to flatten out, or when the obstructions are removed a stair tile appears underneath. If you want to obstruct passage I think it is best to put the obstruction at the top or at the bottom, but not on the stair tiles. Especially the backgrounds of the obstructions don't match the stairs.

I hope you have some use of these remarks and keep up the good work.

Jeod

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 02:34:32 pm »
It looks as if the stairs flatten out on the third picture.

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 02:52:13 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Damn, looks beautiful! I remember your mmgb-project, and these areas look even better!
Great job dude!

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 04:01:41 pm »
Thanks everyone. Yeah I have to keep the water there given the placing on the overall map. It's at the very bottom. Yeah, stupid choice but I can't fix it now. I'm not sure how to help it seem more like a mountain. Maybe put more wall tile behind it? Because the part with most of the houses in it is supposed to kind of be inset in the mountain and have high walls surrounding them and then the part to the left of that is supposed to be on top of the mountain. Hm hmm. Well maybe I can put sky behind it and then make is so that you can't see the top of the mountain or that sky when you're sailing? The actual GB games make areas with things that don't match up to the rest of the map.. Haha. Maybe I can do that, then. It would definitely help the feel of things. 

Hmm. The mountain pillars are like that in the games. Well.. not EXACTLY like that. It's the same thing just with the red rail thing edited out. So that one I think I may keep but I agree about the hole. I'm not exactly sure how to change it, but I agree it looks strange. :/ I'll have to play around with it. If anyone has any ideas or knows that there's a tile I'm not using and I should be for this, let me know! Haha.

And the stair thing. Yeah they flatten out. I'll move the purple stone and the Goron to the bottom but I wanted to flatten them out to make it more "uneven mountain" feeling. Hahaha.

@Tompel. Haha Yeah MMGB was a lot of fun but those sprites were WAY off GB style. Too much recoloring and perspective problems. It was kind of a mess. I'm trying to stick more to the actual games with this map .. but I'm looking at it as GB style advanced. Like what could have been, you know? That's why I'm trying to use only existing sprites. Also, this game is going to be set in Hyrule which is much more free flowing than the two worlds from OoS and OoA so I want to create something that you can relate to both GB style and the world of Hyrule we all know. :]

Thanks for the comments! And thanks for taking the time to write all that out Niek. I'll keep updating as the map grows. I added a few more things to Gerudo Valley [i.e. dungeon entrance and an extra little island] so that I think is completely done other than possibly changing the tents at a later date. After Goron City is completely finished, I'll move on to the Subrosian territory and then I'm going to work on a small mermaid island. Hmm.. and then after that, all I have left to do is a makeshift Hyule field, finish out what I have of Lon Lon Ranch and Zora's River and Domain. Maybe I'll add another village similar to Kakariko village somewhere in Hyrule Field.. which is relatively small. oh and i have to finish up Hyrule Market. But. Yeah. Definitely a lot of progress recently. :] Again, thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:12:15 pm by Sprite Collector »
  • My Photostream
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 75 queries.

anything