Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [[STANDBY]]  (Read 3111 times)

[[STANDBY]]
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:45:19 am »
  • Minalien
I'm going through some documents and working up a proposal for what I want to do with the future of this section. Please stand by for more news, and use this topic to discuss any ideas, thoughts, and opinions.

Frequently Asked, or Good Questions
-) So this ZFGC uni is for Zelda fan game creation related stuff only?
No, it is not. Although Zelda games are going to be the primary theme of this idea, should it come to fruition, I believe that we are first and foremost a development community, with a focus on Zelda. Therefore, instructors who wish to teach things that are not directly Zelda-related are welcomed, if, in the worst case, only for the fact that it can possibly be applied to Zelda in some way.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:51:59 am by Minalien »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
Re: [[STANDBY]]
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:43:36 am »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
On thinking about it Torque is probably a good idea to demonstrates concepts in as it actually forces to people to learn the concepts underlying the code instead of trying to plug it in and going "MIN IT DOESNT WORK LIKE I WANT" when all else fails.  The price tag would actually end up helping there.

I C'Z U
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:06:44 am »
  • Minalien
For anybody interested, here is a copy of a PDF that I am submitting to the core admins for discussion.

Discuss anything related to it here.

PDF Format [Hierarchy and Concept]
Word 2007 Format [Concept]
Excel 2007 Format [Hierarchy]
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:13:41 am »
  • Minalien
Office 2003-compatible formats.

As an additional note, the Board Members would be selected from applicants applying to be board members by the Headmaster. This is both to ensure cooperation among the board members by ensuring that they get along well, which I believe strongly improves their efficiency, as well as to ensure that there are few qualms about who voted for whom that could arise from an elected method.

Also, because Huntha doesn't like asking me these questions on the forums,

<Da-Huntha> So this ZFGC uni is for zelda fan game creation related stuff only?
<Ken> No.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:19:34 am by Minalien »

• Development Blog

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:43:29 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I like it

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:49:41 am »
  • b e p i s
Very much in support of this idea, and hope to contribute.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:52:54 am »
Nice idea Min, hope it goes ahead :D.

Also, just a quick link to the compatibility pack for office 2003, download and install it if you've got 2003.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101686761033.aspx
It saves Min having to convert them and upload them again :P.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 05:00:53 am »
  • Minalien
Thank you all for your support of the proposal thus far. I have been considering the idea for a while now, and I think that it would be a wonderful way to build upon not only the focus of development among the community, but it also provides a more organized and solid learning center for the community, with (hopefully, if this proposal is approved and when it reaches its prime) a steady flow of tutorials.

• Development Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 05:02:07 am »
Seems like a great idea and a good way to organize our 'education system'. This way it's all standard and no one overlaps someone else unnecessarily in the writing of tutorials or other how-to documents.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:10:52 am »
  • Minalien
This way it's all standard and no one overlaps someone else unnecessarily in the writing of tutorials or other how-to documents.
Yes, that is the primary purpose behind having the Headmaster, along with the board of education approve instructors. On this front, we can ensure that instructors are approved on a per-series basis, and we can ensure that we do not, for example, have the problem of TheDarkJay and Infinitus both writing a tutorial on designing an effective file archiving algorithm using C++.

This will help to keep competition from escalating to a level where it degrades the quality of service, while also ensuring that we keep quality (in the aforementioned example, Jay and Infini could compare notes, possibly collaborate, and we can make sure that the highest quality is reached for the tutorial series) and cover a broader spectrum of topics by encouraging those who wish to become instructors to cover topics that have not yet been covered.

In the case that we run into one person wishing to develop a system that they feel would be more effective or more efficient (using the earlier example, we can say, perhaps, that Jay believes that his method is more efficient on memory than Infini's), and neither wanted to step down, it would fall upon the Board and the Headmaster to resolve the issue and decide which (even both. We don't have to be strictly one-tutorial-series-per-subject, as it discourages instructors. Having multiple opinions on a matter is a great way to learn.) to keep. This would prevent us from, for example, having five tutorials, all covering how to create an effective prioritized movement engine using Game Maker.

• Development Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:39:27 pm »
  • The king of Awesome
I can help contribute with a zelda like game in XNA, I mean zelda games aren't overly difficult... Basically once you can code your own movement system it's pretty much easy, as for collisions it's heroX <=ai.instanceY { //collision code } course I'm new to C# but it's making a lot of sence after using GML for so long... Hopefully someone will code a Dialog system for XNA.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 08:16:01 am »
Nice idea, but I have to say your hierarchy user system just seems horribly over bureaucratic.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 06:35:39 pm »
  • Minalien
This system seems to be the trend that ZFGC's administration attempts to follow, and I believe it implements a good system for accomplishing the tasks. The Headmaster exists to facilitate the creation of boards for tutorials, the creation of news, and so on, so that we may minimize the amount of possible "abuse" of such a power.

What is essentially the Board of Education for ZFGC University exists to discuss matters related to the project, such as what authors and tutorials to accept into the midst of the university as officially-sanctioned instructors and tutorials, so that we may maintain a standard of quality in the tutorials that are reaching out to the general public.

The system as a whole exists so that we may create an organized, maintainable environment in which users who are accepted as instructors may create and update materials for their courses, and create what would essentially constitute as an "instructor's guild" in which they can get advice on their tutorials, which allows them to more drastically improve their tutorial authoring skills and better connect with and teach their audience.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:47:40 pm by Minalien »

• Development Blog

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 05:30:29 am »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
I still have to agree that it seems a little too complicated for something as simple as tutorials.

I C'Z U
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 66 queries.

anything