Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ruby (Furigana) Support  (Read 3080 times)

Ruby (Furigana) Support
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »
  • Minalien
Something that could help with hawthorneluke's Japanese lessons could be the addition of a BBCode for the HTML Ruby tag. While the Ruby tag isn't supported in the default installation of most browsers, it's available as extensions to most (I'm using it in Firefox right now).

This page best describes the benefits of this, if you're not sure what Furigana is: http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php?title=Furigana

Edit: It looks like the link to the Firefox plugin on that website is broken, but the addon can be found by going to Firefox's "Get Addons" section and searching for "Furigana" - I'm using the bottom of the three results, HTML Ruby 6.22.3

The HTML code to achieve the Furigana is:
Code: HTML
  1. <ruby><rb>漢字</rb><rp>(</rp><rt>かんじ</rt><rp>)</rp></ruby>

So something akin to the following may be an appropriate BBC tag:
[ruby=わたし]私[/ruby]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:10:13 pm by 美奈の姫 »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Re: Ruby (Furigana) Support
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 02:21:01 am »
  • 笑い男
Only problem I see is that I was just trying to touch on how Japanese works for anyone interested that never had a chance, which I thought would be quite a lot of people, considering the popularity with popular culture in Japan, especially on this forum, but I guess not :/
So I was just going to concentrate on using ro-maji so it was accessible to everyone, but seeing as the only people that have shown interest are mostly those that are/were already studying Japanese elsewhere, maybe it'd be better to move it up a level and focus on those people, where this would then perhaps come in useful.
Then again, there are extensions that automatically put furigana on kanji I believe, if such people need such a thing. But honestly, for anyone that wants to learn, I think just copying and pasting the kanji into an online dictionary is best. It may be annoying at first, but you sure remember what they are very fast, faster than say just depending on the furigana above them, basically meaning your eyes end up ignoring them in a way.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.

anything