Projects > Zelda Projects

[Revived] Zelda II - The Adventure of Link

(1/6) > >>

Theforeshadower:
Zelda IIThe Adventure of LinkObviously, not endorsed in anyway by Nintendo.  Created for learning purposes.  No infringment intended.  Buy Zelda games from Nintendo.
This project is a full remake/conversion of Zelda II on NES into a game that mimics Link to the Past yet maintains enough of the original material.Both music and graphics will be used and inspired by Link to the Past.  Spells are replaced by inventory items.  Extra quests are introduced along with some small character stories to create a larger experience that was lacking in the original.Combat is going to be Link to the Past styled but the rpg system will remain in effect.  There is a change to how leveling works:the different stats influence how much exp is required per level up overall.  This allows a different approach to leveling other than flat values in the original.  Making a choice now has consequences of a larger amount of exp needed.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JBpTk1TMGMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t91-iEPJ69cSCREENS

---->DOWNLOAD<----
What can be done right now in the current release?Quite a bit:  if you create a file in slot 1, you get to view the temporary introduction cutscene.  After the intro, you get to mess around in the first zone of the overworld.  Nothing much to do there.  You can also explore the overworld map and Parapa Palace.  File 2 allows you to skip straight to Parapa Palace boss fight.
If you create a file 3, you are taken directly into the debug zone.  There, you can mess with collectibles, talk to some sages, return a crystal to a pedestal, open every item chest in the game, mess with quite a few items(after you get them from chests), and even kill some innocent gels.
Controls: arrow keys move, A uses the equipped item, S continues dialogue or swings the sword or selects an item in the menu, D is the Pegasus Boots or the action button(open,talk,etc), Enter is the start/menu button.

If anyone is willing to help in the art department, that would be pretty cool.  The intro cutscenes need to be redone to follow the general plot of Legend of Zelda and the backstory to Zelda II.  Eventually, bosses will need to be done.  Most of the enemies needed are already available from Link to the Past.  Some music could be done as well.  Would like to get some Zelda II tracks that sound more like Link to the Past.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy.  This is what, attempt #5 at this?

Miles07:
Wow.

First of all, spectacular undertaking. I've had a similar design in mind for something like this, but only in txt file format. (Though collecting the sprites for the items wouldn't be difficult for me to do, since I have the Minish Cap style item project...) I do agree, that refitting the original game to fit more of the style of the rest of the games in the series would be awesome to do and get used to. I'd like to help, if I can.

(Once my antivirus releases the exe file I downloaded from your Google Drive link, I'll actually try it out and play it.)

Theforeshadower:

--- Quote from: Miles07 on September 09, 2017, 04:57:10 am ---Wow.

First of all, spectacular undertaking. I've had a similar design in mind for something like this, but only in txt file format. (Though collecting the sprites for the items wouldn't be difficult for me to do, since I have the Minish Cap style item project...) I do agree, that refitting the original game to fit more of the style of the rest of the games in the series would be awesome to do and get used to. I'd like to help, if I can.

(Once my antivirus releases the exe file I downloaded from your Google Drive link, I'll actually try it out and play it.)

--- End quote ---
It's funny you mention a text file.  I actually wrote a 30+ page game design document on this almost six years ago now that I have kept on my Google Drive all these years.

As I have added quite a bit on my end the past day or so, I realize that the biggest hurdle other than completely revamping dungeons is going to be taking the massive, yet empty overworld into a more complete filled layout.  Don't be surprised if the overworld goes through some serious changes quite a few times.  I may have mapped it all in LttP, LA-LTTP(LA tiles redone into LttP style by ZFGCers), Minish Cap, and even Seiken Densetsu 3, yet, my new approach is to zone out each section similar to how LttP zoned out each part of it's overworld.

It gives me more freedom to do what I want instead of going 1:1 conversion and having giant empty areas.

Anyway, the work I have done on my end is the entire starting area is mapped out and in-game.  Some tiles aren't quite exact, but each area is 90% or so solidified.  Rauru is nice and small.  No other NPCs used yet, but I have pulled the first Sage from the debug room and placed him in town.  He opens the cave to Parapa Desert correctly.

The plan is to get everything mapped out and transitioning properly to have everything before the cave to Moruge Swamp.  Once that is all set(including Parapa Palace), I will start implementing actual AI into enemies so a nice demo can be put together for NCFC. 

Miles07:
Interesting how you have the areas as actual zones, aLttP style. I guess that means you'd be scrapping the entire idea of random battles, then?

pxl_moon (dotyue):

--- Quote from: Miles07 on September 09, 2017, 04:03:20 pm ---Interesting how you have the areas as actual zones, aLttP style. I guess that means you'd be scrapping the entire idea of random battles, then?

--- End quote ---

they could be done in Chrono Trigger styled Encounters... ( Monsters Jump in from Bushes etc. )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version