Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Do better graphics really matter to you?

Yes, I'm a graphic !@#$%!
No, I bought a Wii!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do better graphics really matter to you?  (Read 5478 times)

Do better graphics really matter to you?
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:56:08 am »

Would you rather play the sprite based Arkanoid, because it looks so much better. Then the ugly and simple looking ASCII Arkanoid?
Re: Do better graphics really matter to you?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:01:04 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
In this particular case, the ASCII version looks better.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:05:16 am »
You are trying to make a point in limited scope. A game with less developed graphics is not necessarily ugly. Because it looks as if it was made as part of an assignment for school, the simple act of getting that far in terms of game programming would be an accomplishment to the person who made it. I would rather play something I programmed than something that just looks good.

It could go either way for me because I do not diminish something simply based on how it looks.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:10:33 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I like how your poll options force you to pin yourself as a !@#$% if graphics do matter to you.

Didn't vote, and yes graphics matter to me in a modern game. I don't want to see aliased edges and individual polygons on a current-gen console. Those are all good and well for N64 games, but in this day and age we can manage more than that, and frankly it looks like !@#$% on my HDTV.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:10:48 am »
You need to judge a game based on the sum of its component parts, thinking only about one specific element is a terrible way of deciding if a game is good or not, or if you want to play it or not.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:12:23 am »
Those are possibly the worst two answers, so I'm not going to answer. I don't mind games that look horrible, unless the graphics affect the gameplay negatively.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 01:28:51 am »
  • Wu tang Forever
Graphics do matter to me, but I'm not a "graphics !@#$%".

Now just because the graphics have to be good does not mean they have to be super photo realistic or use amazing technology. Some of what I consider to be the greatest looking games are for the SNES, because they are very stylized and look amazing.
As for your "I chose a Wii" option. I would say that even though the Wii does not have great technology, there are some very good looking games for it. There are also a lot of !@#$% games that are not appealing to the eyes in any forms and have nothing going for them graphically.

Also Infin is right. The individual components that make up the game are a lot less important than the sum of those components.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 01:50:41 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
Graphics don't really matter me, but if I have a choice between two versions of the same game and one has better graphics, I'll go with that one.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 01:57:44 am »
Not so much.

IMO, you don't need to have astounding graphics to make the game fun.

However, graphics do matter when they affect the gameplay. For instance, in this arkanoid game, the Ascii version makes it more difficult to see the blocks well and the "ball" (or whatever that is) position, so you may have difficulty to play it. Also, in the sprited version, the "ball" probably moves smoothlier (ex.: in a 2pixels/step speed in stead of a 1character/second speed), which can be better to see, but can result in some bugs like getting stuck at the block - a bug that won't happen in the Ascii version as frequently.

Also, graphics, as well as the sounds and music, often manipulate the players, specially on RPGs. It can seduce the player in such a way that could make a rather simple game with cliché story be called "epic".
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 03:10:00 am »
Graphics are a huge factor in how well a game was developed, in my honest opinion. But with that, I must state that both of the screen shots posted are beautiful in their own way. Each demonstrates a unique style, where every pixel (or in the case of the first game, ASCII character) fits well together.

My biggest problem with game graphics are when developers throw a bunch of random graphics together for their game that look horrible together. For example, a Game-Boy style Link would look horrible with Minish Cap tiles and Link to the Past NPC's.

Games are artwork too. Personally, I wouldn't mind outdated graphics (2d or 3d) as long as they fit a specific style.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 03:14:00 am »
Meh, I'm not so much about graphics as I am gameplay. But if it can look good and have great performance and playability I'm all for it. And what about the choice where you have "I'm not too much about graphics and didn't buy a Wii."
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:20:01 am »
If I can have good graphics and still have great gameplay, then why not? I'm not just going to buy a Wii to show that I'm a rebel.
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 03:33:06 am »
Wow, way to put a "I'm close-minded!" sign on your head, Hyrule Boy.

A similar argument would be "You either love George Bush are you're an anti-american terrorist"

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 03:35:13 am »
  • Oh.
I hate people who think they're cool when they say graphics don't matter.

They do, you dumbass.

Graphics certainly complement gameplay, and honestly change the feel of the game.  Even an M4 with a reskin that makes it look like an M16 still makes it feel like a whole different gun.
 Don't directly insult people - in fact you shouldn't be insulting them at all. Consider this a warning.
Hm.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:02 am »
IMO bad graphics aren't bad, but if you say that NES games sucks because of the graphics then thats dumb, they had limitations that they needed to follow. hmm Now a Days I just go for style, if ASCII looks better then sure I will prefer it, atleast in this case.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 03:58:49 am »
Graphics matter to me for the first five minutes or if they obstruct a goal or something, honestly in the first five minutes I play, if the graphics are a drastic improvement over what I'm already playing then I go, "Gee, these graphics are really nice" After that five minutes is up I don't really pay attention to the graphics unless they are really horrible.
I made a thing! Please try the thing, it's what the kids are calling a "vidja game" for the iOS Splashy Bucket
  • Fictitious Spoon Productions
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 04:17:30 am »
I voted No.

In defense of HB's poll choices, he's not being serious - they're both just exaggerations of the negative responses that often arise for each.
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 04:20:23 am »
I hate people who think they're cool when they say graphics don't matter.

They do, you dumbass.

Graphics certainly complement gameplay, and honestly change the feel of the game.  Even an M4 with a reskin that makes it look like an M16 still makes it feel like a whole different gun.

No they don't

shut up u face.

Packie

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 04:53:33 am »
I used to think graphics werent important. Then I got my new !@#$% computer!!! And graphics make a game a million times better!

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 05:13:50 am »
  • b e p i s
I stand by my age-old argument: good graphics don't make a bad game good, but they can make a good game a hell of a lot better.

The reason? Immersion. Games are best when they completely suck you into their universe, and having lots of pretty things to look at, coupled with addicting gameplay and a well-written story, can draw you in even more than the best book.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 81 queries.

anything