Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evaluation of this year's competition  (Read 6942 times)

Re: Evaluation of this year's competition
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 08:00:48 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
First off, did you submit a character? Why/Why not?
No, I was thinking of, but in the end didn't have time. I will next year, I have an idea!

Do you feel us organizers have done a good job? If not, please specify.
Yes... and for me it was timed excellent... comp ended around 4/5 PM, when I finish school and are back to check and vote for next round :D

What do you think of the Pre-Round system? Is it a good system or does it need amending?
Hm.... Good, but can be different. it was fair and just, just it needed a better way to chose who was in it.

What are your thoughts about the Divisions? Are they a good way to categorize characters? Anything else about the Divisions?
I would prefer a progressive one without divisions... like SSBM. The tournament style there was awesome :D

Two characters were disqualified (Petey Piranha and Potato)? Do you think that excluding those from the competition was the right thing to do?
Potato was fine, a repeat character gets a bit *Yawn, and puting him in an intermezzo match was good, but not again plz! Petey, NO! unfair >:(

Twice in the Snowstorm Divisions, there was a draw. In both cases, the characters were "merged". Do you think this was a good solution? If not, what do you think that would be a better alternative?
No. How about making a rock. paper. scissors, where both characters PM you with either Rock Paper or Scissors, and whoever wins, Goes through. the public think they're equal, so it would be up to chance.

There was quite a lot of supporting artwork for the competition (Versus pictures, brackets, trailer). Do you think those were designed nicely? Was there enough supporting artwork? If not, please describe an alternative.
They were great. but, I know there was quite a bit of effort put in, how about making a little clip (for matches) with both characters falling down in black, then landing on a surface responding to whatever category there was.

This competition was run by two persons. Should there have been more, less, or was two just the right number?
To run it, yes. You could, however, hire some artists to make art... or musicians to incorporate music... etc.

Did you think the idea of an "Intermezzo match" was good enough to keep for years to come?
Well, I'm not sure how you'd incorporate an intermezzo match in the next years. Who'd go in? maybe an unnamed challenger against a previous winner... ?

Do you have any other comments on this year's competition or are there any suggestions for 2008?
Well, we could make it like the soccer world cup... well, I'm not sure if that's it, but instead of division, you have little groups, which would have 4 in each, and play one match against each other char. in the group. then the best 2 go forward and battle in elimination rounds! if there is an indivisible by 4-list, play pre rounds!

What was your favorite part of the competition? What would you like to see more of?
Well, I enjoyed the activity and most regulars were active here, and the success!

How often did you vote?
Near every-day. Missed... two or three pre/just beginning in division matches... mostly because school was getting in my way!

What aspects of the characters influenced your vote? Eg. Art, Story...
In this order: Story, Presentation/Effoert, Art.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 04:30:09 pm »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
Two characters were disqualified (Petey Piranha and Potato)? Do you think that excluding those from the competition was the right thing to do?
Potato was fine, a repeat character gets a bit *Yawn, and puting him in an intermezzo match was good, but not again plz! Petey, NO! unfair >:(
What makes you feel that it was unfair to disqualify Petey? Could you elaborate on that a bit please?
My name is Pitt
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 05:26:02 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
- No, I didn't have time to make one

- Yes

What do you think of the Pre-Round system? Is it a good system or does it need amending?
- I don't think it was useful, I think there should be Quarter Finals, Semi-Finals, Divison Finals, and Finals.

What are your thoughts about the Divisions? Are they a good way to categorize characters? Anything else about the Divisions?
- Yes, there good for categorizing characters.

- I think Petey Piranha should have been allowed to compete, but not Potato.

Twice in the Snowstorm Divisions, there was a draw. In both cases, the characters were "merged". Do you think this was a good solution? If not, what do you think that would be a better alternative?
- No, It was a horrible idea. I think if there is a tie it should be a 3-way match against the next character.

There was quite a lot of supporting artwork for the competition (Versus pictures, brackets, trailer). Do you think those were designed nicely? Was there enough supporting artwork? If not, please describe an alternative.
- Yes, they were very good.

This competition was run by two persons. Should there have been more, less, or was two just the right number?
- Just the right amount.

Did you think the idea of an "Intermezzo match" was good enough to keep for years to come?
- I think it was kind of pointless because the Potato Vs. Wanderer match only had like 40 votes, if it had of gone through back when it was originally there would have been like 200+ votes.

Do you have any other comments on this year's competition or are there any suggestions for 2008?
- I think you should wait tell there are enough characters to compete with quarter-finals.

What was your favorite part of the competition? What would you like to see more of?
- Everything was good.

How often did you vote?
- Every Day.

- Mostly the art, but the story was also influential.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 10:14:15 pm »
  • Silly cat!
- Yus. Make a comic about your fights against the other opponent. Because it'll take some time, make each round last for 3 days.
I think that'll help keep the people coming back, because at first ZFGC was full into this thing, then it declined as it went on, and improved a little bit at the end (it was sort of plain, because it was only votes and left up to your imagination to play the fight.)

- More people participating! Make it huuuuge! It's the people's ideas and interesting characters that make it so very interesting. My favourite part of the competition was when I was actually facing Bobo. That really got me nervous and I even made a first collab art with him  :D
I think these suggestions are great ideas, but somewhat difficult to manage. If we could find a person will to 30+ good looking comics over the span of 3 months, maybe, yeah, that idea would work... But if we're going to have a lot of character, it would be way too difficult.

Hoffy.
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 11:01:45 pm »
- No. I actually wanted to, but I had no ideas for it.

- Yes.

- Good.
- No. We know that Inferno was the most difficult division. Goroneater and FISSURE, for instance, who were very popular characters, had to face each other in their first match.

- Yes.

- Not at all. I even made a topic to complain about it, but most people seemed to prefer the merge. Some people suggested asking the members if they agree on merging their characters, if they prefer to co-create a character together, or if they prefer a triple poll.

- Yes.

- Because of Hoffy's timezone, sometimes it seemed that there was only one person running it. Maybe 3 or 4 people would have been better.

- Very good.

- No.

- From the 3rd round until the finals.

How often did you vote?
- All the matches, except the ones that took place while I was travelling (I had no access to internet in where I went).

- Mostly story and originality, but sometimes art.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:06:09 pm by sjegtp »
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 12:45:20 am »
  • n___n
- No. I wanted to, though.

- Sure.

- No. Just have it start normal elimination rounds. No !@#$%.

- Just division 1, 2, 3 and so forth. divisons should be based into catgeories of how far you got into the comp. newcomers, underdogs, contestants, warriors, semi finalists, finalists, champion.

- In a way, yeah. No repeats from previous comps. But Potato rules.

- Worst decision ever. What if one of the persons didnt want to merge his character? Then the other one moves on, because the other one didnt want to merge? bullpies. in the event of a draw, just have the match put into the next day and push all other matches back one day. if the people really like one character or another,  they'll come back to vote for him again.

- simple, pre-made stuff will do.

- two's good, but three's better. if one person feels one way, and the second feels another way, there's a third opinion, like a referee.

- Intermezzo match?

- yes. keep the character creators anonymous. several times throughout the match, i felt like a character was winning or losing because of the creator's popularity or status. just show the character and we dont need to know who the creator is. the loser character's creator be revealed at the end of the match. otherwise, it's "halu's character sux, but halu rules! i vote for halu olol"

- nothing.

How often did you vote?
- only in a match where I wanted one character to win more over the other one.

- appearance and story.
yo yo yo

araknid_kid@yahoo.com = email and MSN
HellsExecutionR = AIM
araknidude = XBox Live gamertag
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 01:50:23 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
What makes you feel that it was unfair to disqualify Petey? Could you elaborate on that a bit please?
well,
Why weren't fissure or HB disqualified? If someone entered Mario, then I'd understand. BUT Petey was still a different character. All the info on Petey outside the comp was he was a plant that was an enemy against Mario. I mean, Fissure had fissure's Avatar, and his name, but you disqualify him did you?
,;Sk;,
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 07:06:15 am »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
Why weren't fissure or HB disqualified? If someone entered Mario, then I'd understand. BUT Petey was still a different character. All the info on Petey outside the comp was he was a plant that was an enemy against Mario. I mean, Fissure had fissure's Avatar, and his name, but you disqualify him did you?
First of all, Hyrule_boy was based on the member Hyrule_boy, not on Link. Second of all, his image was specifically designed for the competition. It was made by a ZFGC member, not by a Ninteno-affiliated artist. That's why I thought the character was good enough to keep around.

FISSURE was actually a borderline case. I did recognize that "FISSURE's" head was actually the head from the Saw-guy. Nevertheless, FISSURE was based on the member FISSURE and not on the moviedude. FISSURE has had that avatar of years. Someone it'd feel wrong to introduce a Fiss-character without its well-recognized avatar. There was also custom art created for him.

Petey Piranha on the other hand, had neither original art nor an original name. His "story" included an introduction of Waluigi, so that's not completely original either. Besides, when after the 2005 competition - when Kleaver didn't participate - posted that in 2006 he would be submitting Petey, I already told him that such a submission could never be allowed.
My name is Pitt
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 49 queries.

anything