Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation [SOURCE]  (Read 82680 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2011, 08:24:50 pm »
It's a shame to see one of my rivals end their project. Just means I need ass-whoop martijn in the league of best fan game then

Hold your horses there  :)

Personally I considered this project like the polar opposite to my own. In the sense that this game focuses a lot on graphical aspects (which got praise) whereas I focus heavily on the engine aspects. So I never really considered us rivals because that would not do any game justice. That being said I always liked the screenshots shown here.

If I may be so arogant as to give a bit of advice: I do not think it is wise to build a fangame solely for the praise, because that will run dry. Take it from someone who has been at it for a longer time: the more you add, the more people will take for granted. Well, in my case anyway because it looks a lot like the original. But I believe it is also true for fangames in general, if not all games. What you really need to finish a project is a strong drive from within. Like considering it a personal challenge, a hobby to tinker around with it or just taking pleasure from being able to build whatever you want to build.

I don't have horses. How about dogs? *Holds the dogs*

Good to know my post did it's purpose and brought martijn in on this scenario. Well actually martijn, all three of our projects rival

TWDP > Graphics focus
Martijn > Engine focus
Tetiro > Half and half focus and Story focus

And it's good to have rivalry as I think of our projects rivalry as friendly rivalry. That's why I give critism on both projects to aid in improving them :) I agree with martijn, the screenshots are always pretty. Even with that damn button part of the HUD bugging me lmao :P

If I may be so arogant as to give a bit of advice: I do not think it is wise to build a fangame solely for the praise, because that will run dry. Take it from someone who has been at it for a longer time: the more you add, the more people will take for granted. Well, in my case anyway because it looks a lot like the original. But I believe it is also true for fangames in general, if not all games. What you really need to finish a project is a strong drive from within. Like considering it a personal challenge, a hobby to tinker around with it or just taking pleasure from being able to build whatever you want to build.

I 100% agree. This is why I just keep on going and only when I myself realise a project is a bad idea do I start a new one. That's why I stopped Chiming Bells in 2009 and started it again in 2011 (And now look how badass it is)
  • Phoenix Heart

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2011, 09:23:13 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
It's a shame to see one of my rivals end their project. Just means I need ass-whoop martijn in the league of best fan game then

Personally I considered this project like the polar opposite to my own. In the sense that this game focuses a lot on graphical aspects (which got praise) whereas I focus heavily on the engine aspects. So I never really considered us rivals because that would not do any game justice. That being said I always liked the screenshots shown here.

Good to know my post did it's purpose and brought martijn in on this scenario. Well actually martijn, all three of our projects rival

TWDP > Graphics focus
Martijn > Engine focus

And it's good to have rivalry as I think of our projects rivalry as friendly rivalry. That's why I give critism on both projects to aid in improving them :) I agree with martijn, the screenshots are always pretty. Even with that damn button part of the HUD bugging me lmao :P

I 100% agree. This is why I just keep on going and only when I myself realise a project is a bad idea do I start a new one. That's why I stopped Chiming Bells in 2009 and started it again in 2011 (And now look how badass it is)

lol if you gonna go with KT's idea for dogs, should should also have some item that lets you talk to them.  For example, they can give hints, mainly in towns.
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2011, 09:37:08 pm »

TWDP > Graphics focus
Martijn > Engine focus

lol if you gonna go with KT's idea for dogs, should should also have some item that lets you talk to them.  For example, they can give hints, mainly in towns.

Haha I was pulling martijn's leg. He told me to hold my horses :P
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2011, 10:30:51 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Haha, I love the arbitrary posts here about dogs and the 'next update'.

Anyway, although I'm kinda at the opposite end of the spectrum as you guys, with a low-profile, mediocre game that NCFC just hated, I've gotta agree with Titero and Martijn. You've gotta make your game for yoursef. If working on parts of your game isn't fun, then don't. I mean, it is admirable to do parts you don't really want to in order to have an impressive product, but if working on your game as a whole isn't fun, then it's pointless.

Although I would be sad to see Path of Revelation go, this is the Internet. The effect it would have on my life isn't too much, it's YOUR time that would change. For that reason, you have to make a game for yoursef. Others' praise is nice, and their critique essential, but their involvement can't be what keeps you going. I'll be happy if I finish my game and nobody plays it (which will probably happen, haha). If you don't have that kind of mindset, then continuing your game would be hell.

My advice is like theirs, take a break, or at least work on a different part of your game. If the coding is killing you, rework the story, design maps, play other games for inspiration. That's what I did, I was pretty discouraged after NCFC and the terrible reviews I received, and took a break for about a month, then started thinking about the story and reworking parts, then went in and reworked a bunch of things that got the worst reviews. Now I'm just about back to working on it like I was before.

Also, if you don't want to work on your game anymore, but are still interested in design, Darkhylian has gone MIA from the Game Design team of King of Thieves. Not that I dont expect to ever hear from him again, or am abandoning him, but I'd welcome you aboard.
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2011, 09:44:26 am »
Your game is good, however i did notice a few things:

:: It rains for ever, I go inside houses it still rains.

:: Interiors are definitely too large... Links house is the size of a dungeon. You can get lost there, its should be a screen max, same with a lot of other interiors. They are like big barren deserts.

:: I started the demo having no idea what to do, nothing tells you which direction you should go, I was lost.

:: Overlaying bugs

:: Palate mess up :P (different tones of black)

:: Screen transitioning takes too much time

:: It would be awesome if the lights were animated in the forests.

:: Overly its a pretty good.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
-snip-
- That's been fixed for a while, but I never uploaded the latest version with it.

- Yeah, I know.  I really don't know how I'm going to do Link's house, but I'll try to make the other interiors more proportionate to their size in the overworld.

- It's just a tech demo for the most part.  I have yet to add a tutorial type thing near the beginning of the game, along with proper NPCs and whatnot.  That's going to come a bit later.

- The shading overlay is kind of weird, but there's not really much I can do about it.

- Yes, I've tried to fix most of the graphics with that, so if there's other tiles or sprites with the dark black (As opposed to the normal dark grey that traditional LTTP sprites use), let me know which ones if you can.

- Well, I had to sacrifice speed for a visually appealing transition.  It used to just be an instant jump, but that looked ugly.

- I didn't make the forest overlay, and I CBA to try fiddling with it.

- Thanks!
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2012, 07:54:19 am »
Why not  make an option, to use Y instead of Z, for european PCs-  :)
I made the game Crazon, a Zelda (NES) Clone.
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2012, 07:14:24 pm »
  • It's just Max.
What's the difference between european and American PCs?
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2012, 07:36:37 pm »
That depends on which country of Europe you are in. The layout of the keys might be different, but that is all over the world. Some parts of Europe uses the QWERTY (green) layout, some parts the QWERTZ (red) layout and again others the AZERTY (blue) layout. In the Netherlands we have dropped the Dutch layout and use the QWERTY layout (US International). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:41:50 pm by Niek »

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2012, 03:38:22 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
So...I've been thinking of starting up development again.  Problem is, I have no idea where I left off...XD

I don't know what bugs I had to fix, what features I was working on, etc.  So if I do start working on it again, it'll be a while before I get back in gear.
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »
  • A little Alive
I say yeah! go for it.
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2012, 03:18:18 am »
You have my support.  XD
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:36 am »
  • I'm so bad I'm good.
It looks absolutely amazing, it seems as if you have a decent idea over what it is that you want.
I'll download this and take a look at it in a bit, I wish you luck with this project.
I'll be working on this later, I imagine... So for now, have fun just looking at this.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2012, 07:01:27 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
Hey guys, just a tiny update, sort of...I've been planning on starting up development again this summer.  I haven't really used Game Maker much since I stopped development, so I'm going to try to get the feel of it again before I start working on the game again.

Can't really say when any new updates will come, but they'll be coming...Gotta have something for NCFC this year.  ;D

thestig

« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2012, 08:46:41 am »
Woo hoo! Do it! This project looks really awesome and I like your art direction especially. :)

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2012, 12:03:00 am »
  • Forstride Productions
I've decided to add 8 more seasons, to make it feel more realistic, and because it gives me more options for seasonal events, and it looks nicer with more variety.  Each main season will have an early, normal, and late "version."

Early Spring = Blueish grass, snow is melted, trees have few leaves.
Mid Spring = Current Spring in the game, trees have pink flowers.
Late Spring = Less saturated lime green, sort of a mix between mid summer and mid spring, trees have white flowers.

Early Summer = Current Summer in the game.
Mid Summer = Slightly more yellow grass.
Late Summer = Saturated yellow-green grass, closer to the current autumn colors, but more saturated.

Early Autumn = Current Autumn, but a bit more green.
Mid Autumn = Slightly more orange trees, duller grass.
Late Autumn = Vibrant orange/red/brown trees, brown grass.

Early Winter = No snow yet, trees have very few leaves, brown grass.
Mid Winter = Current winter, but with dead trees.
Late Winter = Most snow has melted, blueish-gray grass.

Here's a screenshot of Late Summer:

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2012, 12:06:51 am »
Wow.  That looks awesome.  Wish I had that skill :/
  • Super Fan Gamers!

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2012, 02:03:30 am »
  • Forstride Productions
Alright, got the new seasons done:

From top to bottom, it's spring, summer, fall, and winter, and from left to right, it's early, mid, and late variations of each season.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:33:26 am by TDWP FTW »
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2012, 02:24:04 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Looks really good!  But I am wondering about one thing.  Don't trees loose there leaves in the fall rather than late winter as you have now?

edit:  Also the trees with the buds should come before the tree has full leaves no?  I really like this though.  I am just nit picking in an effort to help.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:27:17 am by Aero88 »
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2012, 04:32:27 am »
The season are in effect? I'm playing it.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 78 queries.