Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess LTTP-style HUDs  (Read 3549 times)

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess LTTP-style HUDs
« on: November 03, 2007, 11:06:46 am »

Wind Waker

Twilight Princess

I realize that these HUDs are almost completely identical.But aside from graphics realism,the same minimal
difference exists between the real ones.So done both in LTTP style,well... :)

If you're wondering about the I'm Sorry, that's aimed at TFW2005, for all the good it does.

Collided Worlds on indefinite hiatus due to being in need of heavy rewrites. I am instead working on some smaller crossovers, such as a My Little Pony and Power Rangers crossover.

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
Re: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess LTTP-style ...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:20:36 pm »
No no no.

If you want to make not-constant lines, comic-like if you want to call it that, don't do that by randomly going around with the pen-tool in Paint. Instead, carefully make a line and anti-alias it. This HUD needs plenty AA'ing. Even LttP had at least SOME anti-aliasing to make it look good. It used a lot more constant and even lines, though.

I guess you're on a good way but you need to fix that.

Btw, why making this in a style from an other game? Just make it your own style. :V
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 01:30:08 pm »
What are you talking about?The Z Button?That was created by copying,rotating and half of one of the
other sprites.The X,Y,and R button sprites are an LTTP-ized rip of the R-button sprite from Minish Cap.
And the A and B buttons?The original version of that was developed by TRM himself,and has since become
a de facto standard for LTTP versions of the circular buttons.

If you're wondering about the I'm Sorry, that's aimed at TFW2005, for all the good it does.

Collided Worlds on indefinite hiatus due to being in need of heavy rewrites. I am instead working on some smaller crossovers, such as a My Little Pony and Power Rangers crossover.

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums

Fox

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 02:19:05 pm »
You used MC-stuff as a base for LttP-stuff?

ALRIGHT.

And the A- and B-Button... has been created by Daniel. @_@ It's not standard, it's Daniel-standard. You resized it... kinda bad, too. It doesn't look too circular anymore. I mean, the C-Button looks like an asterisk, almost.

As for the A and the B in the buttons - it needs anti-aliasing, anti-aliasing of three colours. Like LttP did.

Black + Darker Colour of the background + Background itself. I know the HUD was simpler than that, looking at this screenshot:

http://www.gamerslogik.com/GL_Pictures/ColPics/LTTP2.gif

but that doesn't mean it will justify to make it the same again.

That's just my opinion, ignore it if you want. :U
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 02:44:27 pm »
I'm sticking with the TRM buttons.And the GameCube doesn't have C buttons,it has a C stick,and the icon for
it is very small compared with the other HUD icons.And I need to update the Wind Waker HUD with the
LTPP-ized X,Y,an R buttons.*sigh*I made it back when we were at Invision.It's what's officially considered
an LTTP-style HUD.I think some people might have used it,actually.I made it when there were a lot of people
attempting Wind Waker 2d. :D

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums

Fox

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 02:49:59 pm »
I'm sticking with the The Duke of Edinburgh buttons.And the GameCube doesn't have C buttons,it has a C stick,and the icon for
it is very small compared with the other HUD icons.And I need to update the Wind Waker HUD with the
LTPP-ized X,Y,an R buttons.*sigh*I made it back when we were at Invision.It's what's officially considered
an LTTP-style HUD.I think some people might have used it,actually.I made it when there were a lot of people
attempting Wind Waker 2d. :D
That's not exactly a good thing.

There, I only used one more gray-color - you can most likely find a similar one on the LttP-palette - and I changed a few pixels. Looks a whole lot more circular though, doesn't it? And it still has LttP's black outline.

So even though it's small, it still is possible to make it look round.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 03:01:50 pm »
That's an octagon.

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums

Fox

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 03:06:56 pm »
Dickbutts.

• Me on deviantART
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 03:43:55 pm »
Why are you and I the only people to have posted in this topic?

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 05:08:29 pm »
  • [sic]
Because Fox is completely right. This HUD is pointless, stylistically bad, and methodically miserable. Take his advice instead of treating him like a loser and get a good product. Why would other people post if you're being a DICK to the only one who has?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 08:13:52 pm »
No,you both have bad taste.The Wind Waker one was fairly well-liked when I posted it back on Invision.
I'm not going to change it,except for the magic meter and the update already mentioned.When I said,
"I'm sticking with the TRM buttons" I meant,"I'm sticking with the TRM buttons regardless." :P

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 09:03:42 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
No,you both have bad taste.The Wind Waker one was fairly well-liked when I posted it back on Invision.
I'm not going to change it,except for the magic meter and the update already mentioned.When I said,
"I'm sticking with the TRM buttons" I meant,"I'm sticking with the TRM buttons regardless." :P

They have bad taste? Fox is a MUCH better spriter than you, and in no way can you compare to him. And I've never seen Kame sprite, but I'm sure he can sprite way better than you.

Learn to make your own custom things and stop editing other peoples stuff.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Fox

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 09:06:01 pm »
There were hardly times that ZFGC was a high-quality-community. Resource- and game-wise, anyway.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 10:43:51 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...
look, you posted it here, Fox is commenting on it, telling you how to improve it, and you're getting angry at him for not loving it. It isn't perfect, and because some people 3 years ago liked it, you think that everyone will love it forever. Listen to Fox, he is the best way to improve your spriting.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 06:21:05 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
O.O...

Anyway;

The hud is an okay start; but its a rough-draft a best; when posting sprites, tiles, etc you've got to expect C&C, and you cant retaliate argumentatively; you've gotta take what is said and build upon it.

MY C&C-

When spriting, make sure you avoid, at all costs, software rotation and scaling. In low-res imagery, you NEVER want to let a tool rotate your stuff; and if you are using a tool, make sure you do a ton of manual cleanup to fix it's mistakes. You can see the "mistakes" on the Z button, and your resized A and B buttons. They lose their initial consistency. You see far too much outline than what was intended; causing unsightly smudges of colors.

When mixing and matching existing resources; make sure the styles actually do match. Its like when people use the MC trees in an LTTP environment (I hate that. so. much.); it looks like crap. In your Wind Waker hud; the R and L button do not match. You see where the rest of the hud elements have hard outlines along with a secondary hard inner outline? Your R and L buttons do not have those, making them stand out horribly. In your Twilight Princess hud, your "Items" and "Map" text is off. You may have used the existing text for those, but look at how horribly shrunk "Map" is. You've gotta realize why its shrunk--- it was used in an entirely different method than the "Item" text was with the original resource. You'll need to recreate the text to make them match.

I understand that you may have taken a lot of pride in this creation, however, really, if you're just mixing and matching resources, you shouldn't feel sore about it; just improve upon what you've got based on what we've said. You'll never grow as a spriter if you dont take the advice of your critics :P Hell, I havent done spriting in years, and my skills gone down hill considerably; and the reason for that is---- I havent had a chance to get C&C on my work since I left ZFGC. I started off as a shitty spriter; built up to a great one from the advice, and fell back down again because I didnt have the advice anymore.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:45:19 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 06:16:10 pm »
Actually,I drew "Items" and "Map" myself.I KNOW the Z button looks like crap.I'm working on it.And I drew the
A and B buttons with the circle tool and edited them to TRM style.I know the B button looks a bit pointy,too.
Would you wait just a teensy bit for the update? ::)
EDIT:I updated them.I enlarged the A in "Map,"which makes it look much better.And I am not changing the
C-stick icon.
I'm perfectly happy with it the way it is.Bite me. :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:47:58 am by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 66 queries.

anything