Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2D Zelda MMO  (Read 8005 times)

2D Zelda MMO
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:24:42 pm »
Overview
So first of all, i dont want to post this in the projects section because i dont think i can give out steady updates, this is just a hobby project for now that im working on (slowly) in my free time and i dont want to give people any huge expectations like a lot of these types of games try to do, i just want some thoughts and opinions and maybe hear about some things you might want to see in a game like this.

Now i know that with most of you, the first thing you want to see when you open a new fangame thread is screenshots, so here you go.

Screenshots
Show content
My new custom updater

Kakariko Village

The starting tutorial dungeon of the game (resistance hideout) with some level 1 enemies

Shop and inventory GUI

And now for some info!

General Information / About
This game is currently being made and is running on a custom edited version of the Eclipse Origins 2d mmo engine (google it if you care to), its been modified quite a bit throughout the time ive had it but theres still some bugs and kinks to work out.

One thing you might notice is the clash of sprite and tile graphics, i know that RPG Maker sprites dont go perfectly with LTTP tiles, but honestly, it makes my life a whole lot easier being a solo developer, and to be honest i dont think it looks half bad, with the amount of sprites and costumes i want to add in it just makes it that much easier for me to work on solo.

The game does have a story, but not something i really want to get into in depth in this thread because its not completely worked out yet, but it includes time traveling between two timelines, the past where people live in blissful ignorance of the events about to be unleashed on the world, and the future, where Ganondorf has thrown Hyrule into an eternal winter and the only piece left ruled by the royal family is flying high above the clouds protected by a magical barrier.

Im currently working on three classes (altho i want to add more) which is the Hylian (the knight / swordsman class), the Sheikah (offensive magic / aoe class) and Gerudo (archer / thief class with minor healing abilities)

Whats been done so far:
Ive made an intro sequence where you go through a couple of rooms and get a couple of items such as your starting equipment and a Lantern which is used to light torches to open secret doors etc, ive made Kakariko and the small surrounding areas and ive made the first actual dungeon (altho no boss in that one), im currently working on a simple version of Hyrule field just to connect all the areas i want to make, the plan was to do a small public test once i made the forst / lost woods / first actual real temple to see how the game runs with several people to make sure its actually worth continuing on with this engine, i also want to do this before i accept any help so that anyone who wants to contribute can at least see the direction the game is going.

Another thing is it wont play exactly like a traditional Zelda game, the combat system is obviously going to feel different, and if you played around with Eclipse you know this, but i want to make dungeons and puzzles the right way, with doors, keys, chests, big chests with story tools like the Ocarina and Lantern, hidden switches and buttons etc and that is completely possible and already in the game with the event system in this engine.

Anyway, thats my current project! Any thoughts, criticism, questions, tips or just general comments are very welcome! Id like to know what people think and if its something that might be fun to play around with for you.

Thanks for reading.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
Re: 2D Zelda MMO
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:11:53 pm »
  • .越//
Overview
One thing you might notice is the clash of sprite and tile graphics, i know that RPG Maker sprites dont go perfectly with LTTP tiles, but honestly, it makes my life a whole lot easier being a solo developer, and to be honest i dont think it looks half bad, with the amount of sprites and costumes i want to add in it just makes it that much easier for me to work on solo.
How so? the original lttp sprites are smaller and need less detail to customize.
And why are even the rats RPG Maker?

Im currently working on three classes (altho i want to add more) which is the Hylian (the knight / swordsman class), the Sheikah (offensive magic / aoe class) and Gerudo (archer / thief class with minor healing abilities)
Did you really thought that out?
Lore Wise:
The Shiekas are NINJA, and the mages, not the thief class?
Function Wise:
1 Class: Short Range DD, Single Target? <--- Link... not more not less
2 Class: Mid Range(?) Magic DD, AOE DD <--- aggro mage, short life
3 Class: Long Range DD + Healer <--- invinsible?!

So.. i would change that:
Hylian: Short Range DD (Sword & Board), Second Item (but less powerfull than a full class)
Sage/Wise Man: Magic DD, Heal
and
Shieka: Short Range DD (Backstabbing), Long Range AOE (Kunai Rain)
or
Gerudo: Mid Range DD (Naginata), Long Range AOE (Bow)

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 10:31:36 pm »
How so? the original lttp sprites are smaller and need less detail to customize.
And why are even the rats RPG Maker?

Like i said, theres a lot out there, enemies, characters, pretty much anything, if i was into making sprites then maybe youre right but thats not really my thing so i have to stick with what i have, besides sprites are the easiest thing to change later if i choose to.

Did you really thought that out?
Lore Wise:
The Shiekas are NINJA, and the mages, not the thief class?

The Sheikah are known to use magic so it seemed like the obvious magic class out of the 3 first races / classes i wanted to start with, and i dont want one class to be both thief and mage, but yes the Sheikah would be mid range aoe, Hylian have the ability to use a shield or two handed swords for extra power and would focus more on damaging one enemy at a time or simply be a tank for harder battles, the Gerudo are the long range class, i also said MINOR healing abilities, its not a healing class at all i was planing on adding that later on as its own class, the only healing skill ive made for Gerudo is a First Aid skill that only heals yourself with a pretty good cooldown, its not OP at all, its simply to compensate for having less defense and health in later game.

Let me make it simple:
Hylian - Tank / Main damage dealer
Sheikah - AoE / Elemental for certain weaknesses, also not as low def and health as traditional mage classes and can hold its own to some extent
Gerudo - Long range, lower health and def to compensate, also needs to buy ammo depending on weapon to take advantage of long range

Honestly, doesnt sound too bad to me, there will be more classes like i said but i feel its easier to start with just 3 and i chose Swordman, Mage and Thief/Archer as those are usually the traditional classes of online rpgs.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:40:22 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Yeah...I'm with dotyue on this one. Lorewise, it doesn't really make sense to have the Gerudo as the mage class - the Twinrova are the only ones I can really remember sticking out as mages. Having them as a long range class really just doesn't make sense.

This project's quite ambitious. Looking forward to further developments.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:21:07 pm »
Lorewise, it doesn't really make sense to have the Gerudo as the mage class

I never said that they were, Gerudo is the thief / bow class, Sheikah is the magic class.

What dotyue was saying is that Sheikah are more ninja then mage, but if you get down to the lore the Sheikah are kind of both.. so im going with mage because i dont want ninja and mage to be a single class and Gerudo as you said wouldnt be a good fit for mage so im making them the thief class.

And yeah, it would be an ambitious project but im not promising anything yet, this is just an idea for now which is why im posting it here in the discussion forum rather then the project one, but depending on what happens in the next few weeks that might change.

Also, small update, i programmed a right click menu last night, heres a screenshot:
Show content

Only GM's see the kick and ban option.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 02:49:59 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Lorewise, it doesn't really make sense to have the Gerudo as the mage class

I never said that they were, Gerudo is the thief / bow class, Sheikah is the magic class.

What dotyue was saying is that Sheikah are more ninja then mage, but if you get down to the lore the Sheikah are kind of both.. so im going with mage because i dont want ninja and mage to be a single class and Gerudo as you said wouldnt be a good fit for mage so im making them the thief class.

And yeah, it would be an ambitious project but im not promising anything yet, this is just an idea for now which is why im posting it here in the discussion forum rather then the project one, but depending on what happens in the next few weeks that might change.

Also, small update, i programmed a right click menu last night, heres a screenshot:
Show content

Only GM's see the kick and ban option.

...*facepalm*. I think I need to read things twice.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 02:44:21 pm »
Im having some problems figuring out how elements are programmed into the engine, it was half way finished when i got it, currently weapons can have elements and enemies can be certain elements but magic and skills cant have elements yet, so i have to dig into the code and figure out how damage is calculated from skills, so thats basically what im going to work on next.

But i still wanted to make a little update for funsies because i finished the new shop design and fixed up the trading which was pretty broken.

Show content
Trade window:

Comparison before and after shops design:

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 51 queries.