Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Dawning Hour  (Read 3297 times)

Dark-Hylian

Silence
Legend of Zelda: Dawning Hour
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:33:45 am »
A Star fell from Heaven...
A Golden Star.

The Princess took in the Star...
And the Star took her in.

Now the Star is passed down...
From Queen to Daughter.

Now, a new Star has fallen.
An evil begins its hunt for the Light, and a Hero must arise to battle it, and protect the Light.
While the evil lurks on the edges of the world, searching and searching, the Hero must find the Key to the Heavens, and ascend to do battle with the great foe.
His quest will take him to the stars and back, as he completes his own hunt to save the Light of Hyrule.

This is the Dawning Hour.
   The game begins with a meteorite plummeting to the earth. An evil power (the main bad guy of the game) appears, along with the fallen star, and disperses into the night, loosing an evil cackle. Elsewhere, Princess Zelda, asleep in her castle, tosses and turns in nightmare. The next day, she sends for her friend Link, who lives with his Uncle and Aunt in the Forest Town. Princess Zelda warns Link of her Nightmare, and tells him of an Ancient Prophecy. Link then sets out to stop the evil.

Alright, so. Dawning Hour has 3 real dungeons (and a boss filled last "dungeon"), with one or two more not relevant to the game.

Goron Solarium:
Area: Death Mountain
Item: Bombs
Miniboss: Flare Dancer - A spirit of fire that splits into three smaller entities, and prefers to run, rather than fight.
Boss:
Rewards: First Key Fragment
   Celestial Compass Map
              Sun's Song - Changes the day to night, and night to day.
              2 Heart Pieces
              1 Heart Container

Starpoint Vista:
Area: Lake Hylia
Item: Bow 'n' Arrows
Miniboss:
Boss: Midnight Phantom: Stellum - A magician of starlight and ice. You fight this shrouded menace on the top of the tower, beneath the darkened sky.
Rewards: Second Key Fragment     
              Song of the Stars
              2 Heart Pieces
              1 Heart Container

Tempest Pillar         
Area: Field
Item: Switch Boots
Miniboss: None?
Boss: Hero's Spirit - The skeletal remains of an Ancient Hero, he wears rusty armor and weilds a polished sword.
Rewards: Third Key Fragment
   Access to the Celestial Diorama
              4 Heart Pieces
              Song of the Skies

Celestial Diorama:
Area: Space
Item: None
Minibosses: Celestial Hero-Guard - Equivalent to a Darknut, this spectral knight is a valorous opponent.
                     Celestial Flare Dancer - A spirit of fire that splits into three smaller entities, and prefers to run, rather than fight.
                     Celestial Airrobe - A great magician of air and winds.

Boss: The Darkness Within *This boss will equate to about the most coding for anything in the game, save Link himself. This boss will no doubt be a pain in the ass, and a victory rush when you finally do manage to overcome the terror that lies inside your own heart.

Rewards: You win!
              Replay Mode!

The Map

The Land of Hyrule consists of five major areas. Each area is home to a focal point, or city. Through use of the Celestial Compass, Link can warp between these points, once he has unlocked them.

The Forest: In the bottom right-hand corner of the map, there is a dense forest. This is Link's hometown, and is one of two areas of Hyrule that doesn't have a dungeon relevant to the storyline.
The Desert: In the bottom left-hand corner of the map, there is a sandy wasteland. This is home to the fierce Gerudo tribes, and their capitol. This is one of two areas of Hyrule that doesn't have a dungeon relevant to the storyline.
The Field: In the center of the map, there is an expanse of field. A star recently landed here, and has caused some upheaval. In the north is Hyrule Town. This area is home to the Sky Dungeon.
The Mountains: In the top right-hand corner of the map, there are tall mountains. The tallest of these is Death Mountain, under which live the Gorons. This area is home to the Sun Dungeon.
The Lake: In the top left-hand corner of the map is a vast lake. Many rumors and legends are associated with this lake, and of a mysterious tower in the middle. This area is home to the Star Dungeon.

The Items

This game includes a few items, not as many as either ALTTP or Minish Cap, but hopefully enough to make it enjoyable. Some of these are included in the following.

Bombs: these explosives are strong enough to shatter rock and blow open doors!
Hero's Bow: this bow shoots arrows with deadly accuracy!
Switch Boots: these boots allow Link to cling to magnetic surfaces and become heavier, or, become as light as a feather and even walk on water!
Celestial Compass: this handy naviagational device allows Link to open portals to places he's been!

What's Unique

Minigames: there will be at least two minigames, one of which involves fishing!
Bunches of Graphics: I plan on spriting / tiling about 75% of the graphics!
Sidequests: there will be a bunch of these, if I get around to them, to make up for lacking in dungeonness.  These come absolute last, the plot, and the epic come first.

Current Credits:

ZFGC Community Project - coding help =)
King Mob - sprites
SinkinDevil - sprites
Miragos - sprites
Anyone else who's influenced this game as of yet =)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:14:24 pm by Dark-Hylian »
  • Dawning Hour
Re: Legend of Zelda: Dawning Hour
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 02:05:07 am »
Well the story starts out fine enough, although the title doesn't really sit well with me, not sure why.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 06:13:32 am »
Switch Boots: these boots allow Link to cling to magnetic surfaces, and walk on water!

Wow Someone had the same idea as my Gravity Boots!

Gravity Boots -> These magic boots will allow you to stick to special metal panels -> 0%

Good luck with this project dark. And good luck with the switch boots!
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 06:36:28 am »
This gives me such a great vibe. Nothing pretentious about the Goddesses, nothing about the Triforce or Ganon -- just a unique and simple premise and some cool mechanics that tie into a core of Zelda gameplay. And you're planning something of a reasonable size, too. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 07:22:45 pm »
I had the plan from a previous zelda idea, with both iron boots and hover boots, so why not combine em? The magnetic part was, yes, influenced by you, but it will do much more than just stick =) FISSURE, I will probably end up changing the title, but right now, since it's about an eclipse, the Dawning Hour seems to fit. Thank you guys =) I will post something as soon as I have something worth posting!
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:11:12 pm »
Your description gave me a very vivid picture in my head that I had to draw. So, here you are. Your first fanart, maybe? XD  And just so you know, all deserts resemble sunflowers and pies.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:12:59 pm by Nabeshin »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:14:12 pm »
I had the plan from a previous zelda idea, with both iron boots and hover boots, so why not combine em? The magnetic part was, yes, influenced by you, but it will do much more than just stick =) FISSURE, I will probably end up changing the title, but right now, since it's about an eclipse, the Dawning Hour seems to fit. Thank you guys =) I will post something as soon as I have something worth posting!

Haha awesome I inspired someone. Good luck with your game dev
  • Phoenix Heart

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:37 pm »
I like! I'm considering adding one more dungeon, or changing the current incarnation at least, but yeah, Nabeshin, just like that. I like the Animal Crossing type look to it. A few more mountains in the top right, and a big crater / lowlandy place around the lake and it matches my sketch map perfectly =)

Edit: Might even use something very similar for the map / teleport screen =O
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:19:04 pm by Dark-Hylian »
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 11:30:27 pm »

It's fine if you keep it lol, it just seemed a little weird to me for a Zelda title. Twilight Princess wasn't the best title, and i ended up playing it lol. Skyward Sword seems like a weirdish title and i'm gonna play it.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:27:45 am »
Might even use something very similar for the map / teleport screen =O
Feel free, I'm not assuming any credit for the visual concept and IMO it does look pretty nifty.

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 05:09:51 am »
I've been working on the coding as of late (so this might actually move out of concepts x.x), and I've just about finished reformating all of my enemies. Two of which are pollished (figuratively, their sprites are currently placeholders, and lacking in that department), and ready for unveiling. Their coding is of my own design, after what I thought would be fun to fight in a Zelda game. Enjoy.

Keese:

They have a random response generator, which, depending on what they're doing, will switch their direction randomly. This will also come into effect if it runs into a wall or other solid object. These are placable everywhere, and will all work fine (tried and tested  XD), so you'll be sure to see some of these bad boys around. Credit to King Mob for the sprites =)

Bubbles:

These guys are little devils. I hated them in the MM/OOT games, they drove me bonkers for some reason. Well, thanks to Sinkindevil's sprites, I've replicated some of my own. I have yet to add the smoke effects, as I said, the graphics aren't permanent. However, these guys will float around a bit, until you get close, then they'll follow you for a ways, until you get far enough from them (they are slower than you, and it's not thaaat hard, but in a 320 x 240 room they stay on you quite a bit).

The blue bricks are instant death for the enemies, thus me pulling some of the bubbles into it.

As well, I'm working on adapting my coding style, fitting most everything into a movable, easy to replicate package, in case *cough* a new *cough* and editted version of the ZFGC MC engine comes out, like it has before. This'll make my progress very much less set-backable, and much more move forwardable.

• Dawning Hour
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 57 queries.