Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: It's July 14th again?  (Read 8033 times)

DJvenom

super-sage
It's July 14th again?
« on: July 15, 2009, 12:27:35 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Firstly, let ZFGC go. Those who understand that sentence are the people I'm addressing. Now I'm about to write a brick wall of text which I'm going to stick in a spoiler tag. I don't wanna see any "tl;dr" bull crap.

[spoiler=Very long, Do read.]
I don't hate ZFGC, but I sure don't like it. This isn't me going off on "OMG I MISS THE GOLDEN DAYS" either... It's me stating my opinion on what I think "ZF"GC should become...

"But DJ, why did you put ZF (Zelda Fan) in parenthesis?", you may be asking.

Well, don't start your sentences with conjunctions, ass-hat! I put it in parenthesis because many of us out-grew Zelda. Yes, we still have plenty of Zelda fans, and people post new ideas for Zelda fan games every day... That's a whole other story, which I will get back to soon.

Anyways, it's been said a million times, and it's been agreed with a billion times... ZFGC needs change. Actually, ZFGC needs to be relinquished, and anyone who aspires for more then just making a walking engine, or giving LTTP Link blond hair needs to move on to the forum(s) I'm about to lay down.

[spoiler=Forum 1 (actual forum)]
  Basically, this forum would be more of a development/art forum... Everyone's suggested it, nobody's acted on it. Focus is on game development in general. Not bull-shitty game development either. Also more emphasis on, as Dantz eloquently put it, "all forms of creative expression"... Making games is more then being able to program. It's more then being able to draw, or compose, or write a compelling story. Now if you can do all of those yourself, what the hell are you doing here? Anyways, the fact of the matter is this forum has gotten to the point where it's most active boards have nothing to do with what the original basis was... (not OOT2D... TRM had oot2d.com and a subforum for that crap...) he made Zelda Fan Game Central for just that... The processes of making a Zelda fan game, and back in the day (oh !@#$%... I just said it) every forum was very active.

We had members interested in making graphics because we had members who were good at it! I personally was persuaded into graphic arts after seeing ChainDog's original Ghoma sprite used in one of TRM's mockups, and I've been told by other members that my sprites influenced them to create their own. Anyways, once again I'm going off topic.

Back to this new Euphoria (forum name!?) Graphic arts is more then just bitmapping. You have your 2 dimensional bitmapping, vectoring, painting, etc. You also have 3 dimensional CG, CA, etc.  Programming is more then just C#, or C++... I don't want to forbid GM users from any new forum if we make it (mostly because I still use it, but I'd also most likely hang out in the graphic arts section) There are too many languages to name, honestly.  Composition is more then making music that sounds good as well. I know that probably sounds odd, but there's a lot that goes into it, not to mention so many different ways to create music! So many forms of writing that go into game development too! Unless your artists are your character designers too (which would be lame, because then you basically have no hero to your story) then you're going to need SOMEONE to write down a description of how the people are going to look! ...as well as like everything else you want to portray graphically. Can you say backbone?

And for fucks sake, don't let it get to the point where your off-topic forums (if you add them?) get to be more popular then your dev. boards... If people want to shoot the !@#$%, go to the chatroom... (hint hint) or talk on AIM, or MSN, or Y!M, or ICQ if you still live in the 90's.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Bonus mystery "idea" I said I'd only pitch to the admins, but whatever...]
2 words. Image Board. Not to gank off of any other image boards, but when I thought about it, it would be very suiting for the current state of ZFGC. I'm not talking LOL4CHANJOKESLOL either... That !@#$% should be frowned upon. The only thing I want this pitched website to "spew" is finished projects (be they sheets of graphics, music, stories, games, etc.) Modern image boards aren't just "image" boards either which is part 2 of why I think this would be an awesome idea. Image boards now days have specialty boards for file hosting, music embedding, video embedding (trailers?) So now you have somewhere to:
1. Host your demo. (let megaupload handle something more daunting then your 2mb demo.)
2. Show your screen shots.
3. Show off your trailers, tech demos, etc.
And bringing it all together is as easy as >>This...

Furthermore, the dynamics of an active image board ensures you're almost always going to have the most up to date info on projects you're following.

"But DJ, what if I post some graphics and they get pushed back and pruned?"

What did I say about conjunctions, !@#$%!? I almost don't want to answer that question I'm so pissed! For one, I doubt the site would get to the point where your post would get pushed back and pruned before you got any replies, or if you did, you didn't get a chance to read them. Anyways, this pitch was to hop on to the whole Dynamic Content bandwagon. Also makes creating trial boards, and pruning back on less active boards a bit easier (one click)
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

There's my annual idea for the forum post.

These are my personal opinions. Don't litter this topic with your play by play on them. If you want to voice your opinion, make your own damn topic.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:36:03 am by DJvenom »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
Re: It's July 14th again?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:38:51 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
Hate to say it, after agreeing with most everything there, but you put ZF in quotation marks, not parentheses.

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:47:24 am »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
You say for people to make their own topics with their ideas, but I think it might be really worth while to have a good, in-depth discussion about your ideas and give them serious consideration.

Of course, if you really don't want to do that here in this topic, we won't. Your call, in the end.

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:48:40 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
You say for people to make their own topics with their ideas, but I think it might be really worth while to have a good, in-depth discussion about your ideas and give them serious consideration.

Of course, if you really don't want to do that here in this topic, we won't. Your call, in the end.
Actually, I think the more people talk about change, the less they want to.

Raen

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 12:52:46 am »
And yet, proper planning and discussion are necessary to create anything worthwhile. Nice little catch 22, eh?

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:59:06 am »
The problem with ZFGC attempting to 'change' lies with the fact everyone has their own opinion about what to do and how to do it. I think Mammy said it.. and we've all said it a few times, you cannot appeal to everyone, but you can look at the situation and try to make the best of both worlds (or... how ever many worlds you have) and collaborate the ideas).

I'm debating the imageboard idea with some people right now.. I don't think it can be anon for it to be successful.. But it would be a good way to breakout sprites and resources if you could make it archive things.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100

Raen

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 01:05:18 am »
I just want to let it be known that I hate image boards. I see absolutely no advantages that they have over a regular old message board.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:38:11 am »
The new forum idea really needs to be done. It's time for a change, probably a name change to go along with it. The boards we have really don't focus on games development as we try to cater for everyone, which works, but not well.
The image board idea I like, but ZFGC (or whatever we end up calling it) has always been a forum to me and I'd still like to see it that way.

Quickly, someone give me admin so I can rearrange these boards ;)
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 02:10:57 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
This is not new ZFGC.

" Actually, ZFGC needs to be relinquished, and anyone who aspires for more then just making a walking engine, or giving LTTP Link blond hair needs to move on to the forum(s) I'm about to lay down. "

Also, about the parenthesis, I originally put it in them, and changed it right before posting. Oops.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:29:11 am »
Just turn it into a variation of online gaming. Heck if we wanted to we could probably come together and make a 30-player FPS mod for some game. (Renegade, Unreal, COD...maybe even make our own)

I agree, we should move beyond 2D aspects.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:47:16 am »
  • b e p i s
I personally think the imageboard idea is iffy. Granted, it would be very simple to use, but the imageboard format does not lend itself well to longwinded discussions. Ever tried to follow a huge 500 post thread on /g/? Right, it's confusing as hell. In a forum where I hope high-level topics of creativity would be addressed and discussed, perusing conversations in the tens or hundreds of pages needs to be easy.

I think there is a future for the community, however, I see our star devs and other talents needing a place lending itself to something greater than what is, effectively, fan fiction in order to really grow and develop.

EDIT: Post of the century for DJ.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 02:49:27 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
If you want a new site that has nothing to do with ZFGC, why are you posting about it here?  Go create your new site.  The rest of the internet does not revolve around ZFGC and whether or not it exists.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 02:51:41 am »
If you want a new site that has nothing to do with ZFGC, why are you posting about it here?  Go create your new site.  The rest of the internet does not revolve around ZFGC and whether or not it exists.

ZFGC.net
GD-U
etc

But the biggest difference between those sites and a potential new one is that *hopefully* this new one will be GOOD.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 03:01:31 am »
  • b e p i s

We're discussing the future of the community that is currently on ZFGC, and whether or not a large portion of its userbase wish to see it change. I'd say that, yes, this fits here just fine.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 03:01:59 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
No. People were discussing what they think ZFGC should be, so I did the same. I have my own website, and have no intention to make it about game development. If it were up to me, there'd be little to no game development here at all. Oh wait.

Also, Dantz, the image board deal was more for ZFGC then any new site anyways, and that was on the basis of how slow it is right now. I agree 100% though.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 03:10:11 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I just don't see why anyone is talking about how ZFGC needs to change if they don't want to do anything about it.  If you care so much that you can think up some perfect imageboard that will be superawesome for the community, why can't you make it yourself?

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 03:10:52 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Because you touch yourself at night.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 03:13:09 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
And before you say that was immature, so is saying "WELL IF YOUR IDEA'S SO AWESOME WHY DON'T YOU GO MAKE IT >:[" ...I dont make trash, I BURN IT D:<

I was just giving my 2 cents on what I think might be good for the forum. Also keep poking fun at my like 6 month old image board pitch.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:15:08 am by DJvenom »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 03:15:18 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Yes, you are being immature.  All I'm saying is you have no business telling other people how to run their website.  And why do you care so much (because you obviously do)?

Raen

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 03:17:53 am »
I can't speak for DJ, but the reason that I care about how this place turns out is because there are some really cool, really talented people here and I'm quite emotionally attached to the community.

Personally, I'd love to see the community move to a "new" site. Leave ZFGC here and up and running, but start a new website that's just for game development in general, with the same (or mostly the same) community that is here and wants to move over there. It would be pretty awesome.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 77 queries.