Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Epic Movies?  (Read 2841 times)

Favorite Epic Movies?
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:44:34 am »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Oftentimes the Mythic and the Epic genre are mistaken for each other, and are used interchangeably, so I'll allow you to include either or both genres in your list so as to minimalize confusion.  However, for those of you who don't know what these genre's are, they both have a couple of things in common:
1. The protagonist has some sort of event happen to them (fate) which leades them on a quest, where the fate of a large group of people are in their hands.  (Which eliminates most other movies from the ring.)
2. There's some seemingly impossible to defeat evil that threatens this large group of people, and only the protagonist (could be a group in the instance of a mythic genre) can defeat this evil.

(Note: there would be some movies that are up in the air, because movies such as the Da Vinci Code feature a group threatened with ideaology instead of their lives)

So here's my list of favorite movies-- not in order-- in my favorite two genre's (the Epic and Mythic genres):
Braveheart
The Last of the Mohicans
The Last Samurai
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
I suppose I'll have to insert the Two Towers in here, but I'm reluctant to do so, because of the dissapointment I experienced in the film's comparison to the first.
Dances with Wolves
Kingdom of Heaven
Gladiator
King Arthur
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Lawrence of Arabia

And believe it or not, I've never even seen all of Ben-Hur >_>;;

officespace16

Re: Favorite Epic Movies?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:47:42 am »
Monty python and the life of brian
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 03:14:09 am »
  • Your expression has changed too
My entire list is one movie.

The Matrix

Edit: Adding a second one. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Disk 3: Existence. The game as a 3 1/2 hour movie. it comes after the Matrix on my list.

Edit 2: Star Wars 4 5 and 6 under MGS3.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 05:14:52 am by Takuthehedgehog »
Ghoster Poster
  • I have a Twitter if you're into that kinda thing
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 06:15:30 am »
Gladiator is possibly on the top with me, but it's tough becuase there is a good handfull of amazing epic's out there that I can almsot not choose one over another. But I concure with msotly all the one sup there you posted with the exception of Lawrence of Arabia, and the last of the mohicans which I don't believe Ive seen.

Ones that stand out on you're list are:
Gladiator
Braveheart
The last samurai - This is also one of my all time favorite movies. I have a very deep love for the anchient Chinese, and Japanese arts, and the times.
Return of the king
Kingdom of heaven
Fearless (not quite sure if it falls into the catagory.. But maybe... It seems like it dose anyways.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:59:21 am by skully »
We may be human. But we're still animals.

Gilgamesh

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 09:04:47 am »
Star Wars.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 10:06:24 am »
  • hungry..
It's like my same list for everyone of these topics;

LotR
Star Wars
Gladiator
  • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 11:08:23 am »
The original Dawn of the Dead
Godzilla: Final Wars
The Road Warrior
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Jurassic Park
The Shining

(Yes these are all considered epics by some people)
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 12:05:10 pm »
  • Fendez Prez
I just say epic when something is really great and long :P but okay, I'll go by your definition ;)

Braveheart
Matrix (the last battle was great, sent tingles down my spine :))
LOTR
  • Fendez Gaming
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 12:55:22 pm »
The conan films (both)
Indiana Jones films (all 3)
Braveheart
Star Wars (all 6)

I ♥ Open Girlfriend (What!? I didn't add this.. must have been Solly!)
  • My DevArt Account
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 02:02:10 pm »
You know, I never really understood why Gladiator was able to win Best Picture.  Then I looked at the list of movies that came out in 2000, and it suddenly clicked, although I'll argue that Erin Brockavich was a much better film.

Gladiator, unlike the other titles on my list, wasn't up there because it was great film-making, in my opinion, but because it's fun for me to watch from time to time.  I guess, the same probably goes for Dances with Wovles...

...why is it always the ones that win Best Picture? :P

But seriously, Braveheart = best epic ever made.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 02:45:16 pm »
Epic isn't about length or quality so much as it is about scope. Does it take place in a small room with three people fighting or across a wide battlefield with thousands?

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 07:05:39 pm »
  • hungry..
I definatly wouldnt say that Indiana Jones are Epic's. They're Action Adventure.
Same with Jurassic Park (Horror) and The Shining (Thriller/Horror)

An "Epic" film, in terms of Genre, isn't about how good it is, although that word these days is often used as another term for "Amazing", "stunning", "great" etc, but technically an "Epic" could be described like the life / works of a heroic or mythological person or group of persons.
  • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 09:09:05 pm »
Well, an epic is defined by the Hero's Journey and an Epic hero (which has a critereon).  But it's so often mixed up with the Mythic hero, that often they are intertwined (ie. The Last Samurai-- probably why critics didn't like it so much).
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 09:17:17 pm »
Epic could be described many ways. It's just a film term for movie that are breathtaking and epic in scope as I said. Now I'm not sure if ALL the Indiana Jones films are, but the third one is for sure, it takes place in so many exotic areas with so many huge set pieces and battles. Jurassic Park is very similarily along those lines. The Shining is often described as the first epic horror film btw, everything is just so grand in scale. Like, usually horror movies deal with isolation and atmosphere, this film goes all out on both fronts. It also has the sort of slow build-up that a lot of epics seem to have just instead of soldiers preparing for battle, we have Jack Torrance making his plans with the ghosts.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 09:34:57 pm »
Epic could be described many ways. It's just a film term for movie that are breathtaking and epic in scope as I said. Now I'm not sure if ALL the Indiana Jones films are, but the third one is for sure, it takes place in so many exotic areas with so many huge set pieces and battles. Jurassic Park is very similarily along those lines. The Shining is often described as the first epic horror film btw, everything is just so grand in scale. Like, usually horror movies deal with isolation and atmosphere, this film goes all out on both fronts. It also has the sort of slow build-up that a lot of epics seem to have just instead of soldiers preparing for battle, we have Jack Torrance making his plans with the ghosts.
But you're using a more slang definition.  I'm defining it in an objective manner.  You start getting subjective, and we take the art form out of film.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 09:50:00 pm »
Well yes, Hollywood has given new meanings to old words, epic is probably one of them, but if you start a topic about "epic films" I'm going to automatically use the Hollywood definition. Even so, if we're not using the Hollywood definition, a heckuva lot more films listed here shouldn't be included.

Well, an epic is defined by the Hero's Journey and an Epic hero (which has a critereon).  But it's so often mixed up with the Mythic hero, that often they are intertwined (ie. The Last Samurai-- probably why critics didn't like it so much).

That puts films along the lines of One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest in the running and eliminates a lot of other films. A hero doesn't have to wear tights or slay monsters after all.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 09:54:48 pm by imfletcher »
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 09:56:28 pm »
That puts films along the lines of One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest in the running and eliminates a lot of other films. A hero doesn't have to wear tights or slay monsters after all.
Right.  Like X-Men is an epic by definition, and movies such as Titanic wouldn't qualify.
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 09:58:39 pm »
...Unless of course love is a journey. That's why I hate these terms, critics and artists look at them in sooo many different ways.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 09:59:58 pm »
...Unless of course love is a journey. That's why I hate these terms, critics and artists look at them in sooo many different ways.
Well, no because the fate of the people don't rest in their hands, you see.

But yes, it can be played many different ways.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 07:01:43 am »
I dunno if it would really be classified as epic... It had tons of action, but It had lots of emotion too, I wouldn't clal it action, or drama, but epic still seems a little overkill as the description for "Fearless" but that was an amazing movie in my opinion.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 72 queries.

anything