Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 463214 times)

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance (working ...
« Reply #380 on: June 02, 2011, 06:52:45 am »
Okay, I've good and bad news again. I decided to break up with my girlfriend (really it was her decisions that got me to do it, but whatever). Also the contest I was expecting to spend more time on did not produce any usefull results.

The good news here is that because of this I can spend a little bit more time on my game. Actually, I hope to be able to produce a new demo in about two weeks time. Finally XD

Also I'm set up a pole because I'm interested in what people get most excited about in new demo's.
« Reply #381 on: June 03, 2011, 09:36:24 am »
Okay, I've good and bad news again. I decided to break up with my girlfriend (really it was her decisions that got me to do it, but whatever). Also the contest I was expecting to spend more time on did not produce any usefull results.

The good news here is that because of this I can spend a little bit more time on my game. Actually, I hope to be able to produce a new demo in about two weeks time. Finally XD

Also I'm set up a pole because I'm interested in what people get most excited about in new demo's.
I voted for coding since it will help you a ton in the future :)
« Reply #382 on: June 05, 2011, 09:21:49 pm »
Thanks TCGamer. I agree.

Here is this weekends progress:
+ Stone magic turns some containers to stone
+ Ice magic freezes some containers
+ Erased any noticeable slowdown that occurred when the player entered the main floor of the dungeon
+ Updated the cannonball routines to have make sure they don't just start as the room starts

And aside from that I spend time tinkering with a room's layout and the stone magic. Still no satisfying results on either of those.
« Reply #383 on: June 08, 2011, 08:10:02 pm »
Had an somewhat interesting idea today about the map system in alttp. For reference: it currently looks like the image below. When you collect the compass the chests and boss location are displayed. I can imagine that this is done so the player doesn't get stuck too much, since showing those things might help the player progress. Other secrets, like keys from above, however are not displayed.

How about I the compass does not display the chests, but instead turns the rooms light green when all points of interest in that room are discovered? Or would that spoil the experience? I'm not really sure, but I believe my dungeon can be a little hard for some people to solve (or at least I haven't heard the opposite). I'm doing some scetches for the second dungeon and I'm not still pondering on how to make it challenging while not frustrating.

Anybody have any comments on the matter?

« Reply #384 on: June 09, 2011, 12:15:37 am »
A unique compass? How about when you enter a room it turns red when you have to defeat the enemies in said room to advance?
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #385 on: June 09, 2011, 05:27:24 am »
It would just be the default compass, but the function would change. The goal is not be to hold the player by hand, but rather to hint at places where "something" has not been discovered yet to prevent them from running in circles endlessly. Such things being chest and keys obviously, but also when the player has not yet discovered pressure plates / killed all the enemies / discovered that a statue can be moved to open a door etc.

The map could use just 3 colors:
dark blue: room never entered yet
light blue: room entered and fully explored
light green: room entered but not yet fully explored

More more colors then that would be difficult because roomscan hold multiple mechanics. Like for instance one door requires all enemies dead, there is a chest hidden and a second door requires you crash into a statue.
« Reply #386 on: June 09, 2011, 03:23:02 pm »
Crash into a statue?  :huh:
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #387 on: June 09, 2011, 04:23:37 pm »
Oops.... uuhmm. Yeah, you may need to do that in order to finish the dungeon. Actually, it's already possible in the current demo.
« Reply #388 on: June 10, 2011, 07:36:46 pm »
Progress in the last couple of days:
+ Finished two more dungeon rooms (just one left)
+ Added three pressure plates that need to be activated in order
+ Added falling down two floor below
+ Fixed issues with doors closing and opening directly after entering a room
+ Fixed facing issues when falling down a floor
+ Redid the shadows for frozen/stone enemies/containers

With that I believe I'm more or less ready to release the new demo. Just need to remove the tester stuff. There are still two small issues that I'm working on, but that's always the case XD
« Reply #389 on: June 11, 2011, 11:35:46 am »

NEW DEMO OUT
(Also, I updated the first post quite a bit borrowing the setup FrozenFire thought up.)

Here is a listing of all the changes made since demo 0.10.8
-Added a bunch of new rooms
-Added the ability to fall through the floor with enough weight
-Rewrote part of the digging mechanic to improve efficiency
-Fixed surfaces errors when moving in and out of the dungeon too much
-The hud moves along with the (dis)appearing item menu (once again)
-Items created by flying skulls will fall to a more appropriate depth, based on what you'd visually expect
-Improved the Pol's Voice AI even further (it can now jump over various objects)
-Collissions on/under bridges are now handled differently/better
-Finished enemy: Buzz Blob
-Added new enemy: snake
-Recoded/improved the credits
-Recoded/improved on the item menu
-Recoded/improved on the starting screen
-Recoded/improved on the text engine
-Replaced all previous textsprites by custom fonts
-Added an (encrypted) save feature for controls and dungeon/game progress
-The attack button can now also be used to throw things
-Added new item: Book of Mudora
-Added new item: Life Medicine
-Added new item: Magic Medicine
-Added new item: Cure-All Medicine
-Added fairies to touch and catch (not fully satisfied with them yet)
-Bottled fairies now only heal 7 hearts and no magic when you die
-Added magic for ice rod
-Added magic for fire rod
-Added magic for Rod of Medu (the magic attack is just placeholder for now)
-Some enemies and containers can be frozen or turned to stone

DeathTailsz

Wanderer
« Reply #390 on: June 11, 2011, 04:58:50 pm »
  • Angelic Hymn
Some enemies and containers can turned to stone

Can I expect myself yelling "Man, that guys looks stoned."?
I'ma downloading it as we speak. Edit my post afterwards. :D

Oh, and I love what you did with the first page, looks purdy.

Edit:
Best animation for a magic ability ever. I wanna play SMW now...
[spoiler=Already Known Issue]
I think the above is a known issue (He's floating on top of objects)[/spoiler]

I have a question: Is the beam-thing that comes from the sword delete itself after leaving the view or hitting an object? In long rooms you can hear the sound playing consistently until it destroys itself.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:34:05 am by DeathTailsz »

"More like Stupei Ace Defective!" - Yukari - Persona 3
  • StarFox 2D
« Reply #391 on: June 11, 2011, 05:58:53 pm »
Yes, stoned dudes can be found in this demo. Sort off.

The sword beam destroy itself if it hits a wall, enemy etc. If nothing is hit then it will just keep going. You hearing the beam even after it has gone beyond the visible screen is by design.

The depth issues are know. I have an answer ready but it will take a lot of effort to implement. Maybe in the next demo.
« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2011, 07:40:11 pm »
This weekends progress:
+ Finished stone magic animation (used sprites by Nabeshin)
+ Slightly edited the Rod of Medu (edit by DeathTailsz)
+ The Pol's Voice can no longer be turned to stone
+ Redid the sword magic to be uniform with other type of character objects
+ Put together a full tileset for the second dungeon
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2011, 06:59:29 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I know it's been more than 2 weeks since the last post, but I just had to say it's been quite a while since I looked at this and the project is looking great! It's HUUUUUGE!

(...I updated the first post quite a bit borrowing the setup FrozenFire thought up.)
LOL, I see that. XD I'm glad it has helped you with organizing your project content here.

It's great to see this game continually making progress. I'm gonna have to check out the latest demo for sure!
  • My Music
« Reply #394 on: June 28, 2011, 07:27:30 am »
I've got an exam coming up tommorrow so I have been studying for that lately. Afterwards I hope to make a new small release within two weeks.
Some players on a different site found a small glitch preventing players from fully finishing the first dungeon, so that will be fixed. Also, I hope to add one or two canes by then.
« Reply #395 on: July 02, 2011, 07:48:08 am »
No progress report today (though I am making progress again), but I do have some research questions.

- Cukeman:
A Buzzblob sprinkled with magic powder turns to a Cukeman and you can then apparently talk to it. Judging from that I'd consider it an NPC. On the other hand it also shocks you if you attack it. Does that make it is the equivalent to a villager who would react to getting hit by a sword etc? Or is it still an enemy (who does damage upon touching) which you can talk to if you stand a little away from it and press the action button?
Does it have electric sprites in it's animation, like the Buzzblob? I'm reading it can shock but have not been able to find a sprite for an electrified cukeman. If so, can someone get me those sprites?

On a sidenote: freezing and smashing a cukeman apparently turns it into a buzzblob. I'll not be copying that.

- Cane of Byrna:
How long does the magic shielding last for after using the cane?

- Cane of Somaria:
After creating a magic block and terminating it, four fire(?)balls are created. What is the impact animation like for those attacks? Something similar to stabbing a wall with your sword maybe? The fireballs should also be present in the dungeon dark world below the rundown village. The horse/dragon type enemies that spit them out at you if I remember correctly.

Edit: After some more research I found that the Cane of Byrna takes 16 mp to activate and 4 mp per 24 frames (based on 60fps). I may change those values up a little but not by much. The shield will end if you use the cane of byrna while the shield is active, while your magic runs out or if you do not have the cane of byrna as the currently selected item. The Cane of Byrna should be fully finished in about another hour. The only thing I'm a little unhappy about is the soundeffect. I do not believe I have been able to get it the same as in the original.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:06:52 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #396 on: July 02, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »
Here is the latest progress report:
+ Fixed several textobjects that did not work anymore
+ Added the firerod to each new savefile (as finishing the dungeon requires it)
+ Fixed glitch in cannonball puzzle room
+ Build in the first two rooms for the second dungeon (with DeathTailsz - not yet in demo)
+ Added new item: Cane of Byrna (not happy with the sounds yet though)
+ Made various changes to the magic attack from the sword
+ Canes without magic can now hurt enemies, destroy containers, collect items and get you shocked by electric enemies
+ Enemies can not be turned to stone or ice if that will cause Link to get stuck
+ Fixed glitch: no longer able to push movable objects into staircases
+ Added new item: Cane of Somaria (not happy with the sounds yet though)

As I mentioned in my previous post I was unsure what destruction event to use for the fireballs created with the block from the Cane of Somaria. I tried a couple of things and ended up going with the burning animation I was already using for the firerod's magic. Not sure if that's what the original game used but it will work for me. Also, in the original the block from the Cane of Somaria itself was a means to hurt enemies. Upon to three times it would apparently hurt enemies before getting destroyed (?). Haven't build that in yet and I'm not really sure if I really want to. Anybody have any thoughts or information on that?

Now then, there are three things I could use your help with right now (in order):
1. What soundeffect is present when the block (created with the Cane of Somaria) is made to explode?
2. Can someone help me with the soundeffect for the initial use of the Cane of Byrna (and the continued sound for the magic shield if there is any)? I'm currently using a loop of the LTTP_Cane_Magic sound as found here, but it does not sound how I remembered it. The other sound effect there (I also attach them below), which is the LTTP_Cane sound, sounds a little more familiar but I'm not sure if that's it either.
3. Still looking for information on the Cukeman. Check my previous post.

I someone could help me rather quickly then I sound be able to implement it this very weekend and hopefully round it up enough for a new demo (in order to fix the issues found in the starting post).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:47:38 am by Martijn dh »
« Reply #397 on: July 03, 2011, 03:04:24 pm »
Today's progress:
+ Added a new enemy: the Ropa

And I took the time to upload another video. It's been ages since I did something like that so why not. Please take a close look at the three new things I added and let me know what you think.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qAev7nvnus" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qAev7nvnus</a>
« Reply #398 on: July 03, 2011, 05:22:40 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I'm only speaking from memory, but I don't think you could talk to Cukemen. I think you could kill them, though, but as I remember, you couldn't walk into them without getting hurt, they just wouldn't electrify you. The way the buzz blobs worked was if you stabbed them, you'd go all electricy, and the screen would do that getting zapped thing, but the buzz blob wouldn't change. Probably because it's own defenses wouldn't electrify it, that would be a bad tactic.
« Reply #399 on: July 04, 2011, 03:56:21 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
You sprinkle the buzzblobs with magic powder and you can talk to them.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 78 queries.

anything