Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Game Maker on Mac OS X  (Read 6589 times)

Re: Game Maker on Mac OS X
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2007, 08:09:22 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
The problem is creating paid software is ALL about profit, as is 99.99999% of everything else in everyday life. I can think of no way to release the source without loosing profit. It'd be even worse than the profit lost through Torrents etc. because it'd be another hole for the money to fall through.

As for Free software, if a person doesn't want to release it, then I still say it is their right to do so. No-one likes to see clones of their own game everywhere :P

Anyway, our conflict here is a clash of two different philosophies on life. Mine being if you are not the centre of your life, it isn't a life worth living, and everything you do should be to advance yourself in some way. Not sure what yours is, but I can gather it differs from mine XD
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:15:03 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007, 08:18:06 pm »
The problem is creating paid software is ALL about profit, as is 99.99999% of everything else in everyday life. I can think of no way to release the source without loosing profit. It'd be even worse than the profit lost through Torrents etc. because it'd be another hole for the money to fall through.

As for Free software, if a person doesn't want to release it, then I still say it is their right to do so. No-one likes to see clones of their own game everywhere :P

Anyway, our conflict here is a clash of two different philosophies on life. Mine being if you are not the centre of your life, it isn't a life worth living, and everything you do should be to advance yourself in some way. Not sure what yours is, but I can gather it differs from mine XD
Yes, indeed it does. Capitalism, no matter which way you look at it, depends on scarcity. As scarcity decreases with technology, this paradigm will need to change.
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 08:32:29 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Nah, people will always be morons. It's human nature.
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 09:24:25 pm »
Nah, people will always be morons. It's human nature.
*cough* evolution *cough*
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007, 11:36:19 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
* Moldorma ignores every post made by dev and Jay.

GET ON TOPIC KTHXBAI
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 11:38:40 pm »
Hey, why don't you guys duke out your capitalism rage somewhere else?
  • Google Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 11:40:40 pm »
* Moldorma ignores every post made by dev and Jay.

GET ON TOPIC KTHXBAI
Who cares about staying on topic?
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2007, 07:59:29 am »
Tremble in fear of what I've made my Mac do. It now runs Game Maker 6.1 natively. >:D
One question; why would we tremble in fear? =).
the a o d c
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2007, 10:29:31 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I'm just gonna say this:
Humans cannot evolve. If anything, lacking natural predators and dangerous environments, humanity is more likely to turn into some giant pile of goo than some higher species.

And why would we tremble in fear, you ask? Because now many Mac fans are gonna use this as 'proof' of Macs superiority, until it doesn't run the games. This they ignore because it goes against their belief, and will dismiss it.

Humanity is stupid like that, always has been. Why do you think we have such trivial things as superstition? It sure as hell doesn't come from logic.
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2007, 02:43:58 pm »
  • IBV

Releasing the source only gives the user more control after they have bought the software. Of course selling software (actually it's selling a "license to use", not the actual software) is an ancient concept. In the future, with free software, you will make money by selling binaries compiled from monstrous amount of source code (which can take several weeks to compile!). That's selling a service rather than TRYING to sell something immaterial as it was a material thing (which is the case of the ancient method, the one STILL used by proprietary software developers today).

And actually there are people who LOVE to see clones of their games everywhere. If the clone is exact, they know people probably like their games (assuming the use it because they like it). If it's a modified version they know some developer liked their original game but wanted to change a bit on it to make it even better for THEM (you know, not everyone's definition of good and bad is the same). However the important part is not success, IMO, it's letting everyone has the same freedom as you have.

You can't advance yourself with proprietary software. If you are using proprietary software right now, you are being controlled by another entity than yourself. I'm not sure how you can advance yourself that way. Also, if you release something as free software you could see it as personal advancing even if in fact you let everyone else advance as well. I mean, advancing doesn't necessarily have to mean that you get everything YOU feel is good and everything/everyone else does not get it (or that they even get what YOU think is bad). Either way, releasing free software doesn't restrict yourself, it only gives everyone the same freedom as you have, and at the same time you get that fuzzy feeling from making something good the community (a way of advancing, IMO).
My signature is empty.
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2007, 04:45:47 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
@AoDC: Um... just tremble, k?

@TheDarkJay: Outta my topic nao kthxbai
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2007, 10:28:12 pm »
I'm just gonna say this:
Humans cannot evolve. If anything, lacking natural predators and dangerous environments, humanity is more likely to turn into some giant pile of goo than some higher species.

And why would we tremble in fear, you ask? Because now many Mac fans are gonna use this as 'proof' of Macs superiority, until it doesn't run the games. This they ignore because it goes against their belief, and will dismiss it.

Humanity is stupid like that, always has been. Why do you think we have such trivial things as superstition? It sure as hell doesn't come from logic.
Humans indeed can and will evolve. It is happening now as always. With technology, it could come even faster than you think, but it will be sure to upset some fundies. This should be in a new topic, since there is quite a lot to say about this.

Releasing the source only gives the user more control after they have bought the software. Of course selling software (actually it's selling a "license to use", not the actual software) is an ancient concept. In the future, with free software, you will make money by selling binaries compiled from monstrous amount of source code (which can take several weeks to compile!). That's selling a service rather than TRYING to sell something immaterial as it was a material thing (which is the case of the ancient method, the one STILL used by proprietary software developers today).

And actually there are people who LOVE to see clones of their games everywhere. If the clone is exact, they know people probably like their games (assuming the use it because they like it). If it's a modified version they know some developer liked their original game but wanted to change a bit on it to make it even better for THEM (you know, not everyone's definition of good and bad is the same). However the important part is not success, IMO, it's letting everyone has the same freedom as you have.

You can't advance yourself with proprietary software. If you are using proprietary software right now, you are being controlled by another entity than yourself. I'm not sure how you can advance yourself that way. Also, if you release something as free software you could see it as personal advancing even if in fact you let everyone else advance as well. I mean, advancing doesn't necessarily have to mean that you get everything YOU feel is good and everything/everyone else does not get it (or that they even get what YOU think is bad). Either way, releasing free software doesn't restrict yourself, it only gives everyone the same freedom as you have, and at the same time you get that fuzzy feeling from making something good the community (a way of advancing, IMO).

I agree with you, but I doubt massive amounts of source code are a good thing, because there is a much larger chance of bugs and bloat.
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2007, 10:56:00 pm »
  • IBV
I'm just gonna say this:

Humans indeed can and will evolve. It is happening now as always. With technology, it could come even faster than you think, but it will be sure to upset some fundies. This should be in a new topic, since there is quite a lot to say about this.

I agree with you, but I doubt massive amounts of source code are a good thing, because there is a much larger chance of bugs and bloat.

Sometimes it can't be avoided. For example OpenOffice.org is huuuuuuge (for obvious reasons). Took me 6 hours to compile that !@#$% (on a 1.7 Ghz Celeron). And Gnome with all applications and X together took like 9 hours on a 3 Ghz Pentium 4 (I didn't time that one though, so I don't know exactly, but I DO know it took like the whole day to install and configure it all, a lot of the time being compilation). Yes, I compile all software myself <_<;;
My signature is empty.
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2007, 11:13:40 pm »
I'm just gonna say this:

Sometimes it can't be avoided. For example OpenOffice.org is huuuuuuge (for obvious reasons). Took me 6 hours to compile that !@#$% (on a 1.7 Ghz Celeron). And Gnome with all applications and X together took like 9 hours on a 3 Ghz Pentium 4 (I didn't time that one though, so I don't know exactly, but I DO know it took like the whole day to install and configure it all, a lot of the time being compilation). Yes, I compile all software myself <_<;;
lol gentoo

I personally like apt-get much more.
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2007, 11:48:06 pm »
  • IBV
I'm just gonna say this:

lol gentoo

The only thing I don't like with the standard gentoo portage is that I can't filter by acceptable licenses. On a few occasions it has tried to install non-free software in form of dependencies D: But that problem is in apt-get as well. The only way to filter there is by using a free repository (I think), such as the one gNewSense provides.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2007, 04:37:45 am »
I'm just gonna say this:

lol gentoo

The only thing I don't like with the standard gentoo portage is that I can't filter by acceptable licenses. On a few occasions it has tried to install non-free software in form of dependencies D: But that problem is in apt-get as well. The only way to filter there is by using a free repository (I think), such as the one gNewSense provides.
Good thing that Ubuntu already does that. XD
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2007, 07:11:53 pm »
  • IBV
I'm just gonna say this:

lol gentoo

If you mean filtering away non-free software, no it doesn't. It allows you to deactivate SOME non-free drivers though.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2007, 12:45:42 am »
I'm just gonna say this:

lol gentoo

If you mean filtering away non-free software, no it doesn't. It allows you to deactivate SOME non-free drivers though.
It has different repositories for non-free software. :P
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2007, 09:14:02 am »
  • IBV
I'm just gonna say this:

lol gentoo

It has different repositories for non-free software. :P

They must've changed that in some later version then because I don't remember it so D:
My signature is empty.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 75 queries.