Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OCCC (Oklahoma City Community College) supports Game Maker! THE DEBATE  (Read 8749 times)

OCCC (Oklahoma City Community College) supports ...
« on: August 17, 2007, 07:25:58 pm »
  • Protecting Hyrule from the forces of Darkness!
I was touring the college, looking for the classes I am going to take this year, and I came along a brochure that listed all the software available for the students to use for free via the Student Computer Lab and in the listing was game maker!

I will post a scan of the brochure later, right now my scanner's broke. :'(

Still its pretty cool! XD
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:25:36 am by Retro »
My screenname is pronounced:
Zen-ta-wo-cot-ious the L is silent.
Visit Parnell Games
Quote from: MaJoRa
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Quote from: Zentawolcotious
Live today as if its your last.
Re: OCCC (Oklahoma City Community College) suppo...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 05:42:24 pm »
  • w00t
Sounds cool, wonder what classes they would use it for.  I know that my computer science class this year is starting out by using Alice, a 3D-animation program with a drag-and-drop interface somewhat similar to Game Maker, though even more simplified to help people understand the basic concepts of programming.
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 05:56:59 pm »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
"PLZ READ"? There is nothing important in this topic. :/

Still, pretty funny though considering half this community is built upon GameMaker.
My name is Pitt
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 09:23:35 pm »
  • *whistle*
My college uses Game Maker. Regged, too.

And we did a couple of classes on it.

Making pacman. <__<

I made a crappy Zelda game 'cos I was bored with Pacman. :P
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:35:42 pm »
  • IBV
This is !@#$% insane!!

Seriously, this is probably the worst mistake of decision someone has ever made since Bush and his friends decided to declare war on Iraq. Well, pretty close at least.

Where the hell is the world getting to? Tomorrow we will have driving schools only teaching you to drive a certain brand. !@#$%.

My signature is empty.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:40:32 pm »
  • *whistle*
This is !@#$% insane!!

Seriously, this is probably the worst mistake of decision someone has ever made since Bush and his friends decided to declare war on Iraq. Well, pretty close at least.

Where the hell is the world getting to? Tomorrow we will have driving schools only teaching you to drive a certain brand. !@#$%.

Lol, it's hardly like they're only teaching Game Maker. They're just making the software available freely to students and making sure people know how to use it.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 10:47:09 pm »
This is !@#$% insane!!

Not everyone can be pro C++  programmers

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 10:57:45 pm »
  • IBV
This is !@#$% insane!!

This is not a question about language. See below.

This is !@#$% insane!!

Lol, it's hardly like they're only teaching Game Maker. They're just making the software available freely to students and making sure people know how to use it.

"Freely available?" HEEEEEELL NO. Have you read the copyright license for Game Maker? It more or less says that if you make a good game YoYo Games can demand the rights to it. Where the hell is the education going if students can't make something without getting it stolen by some !@#$% commercial-driven organization who happens to sponsor the !@#$%? It's !@#$% insane. Academic and educational institution should use REAL freely available and neutral tools. Otherwise they will lose their primary goal; to teach and let people learn. You can't learn with Game Maker; it restricts you too much (and I don't mean that in a technical way; I mean it restricts what rights you have, and among them is the right to learn!)
My signature is empty.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 11:00:24 pm »
This is !@#$% insane!!

This is !@#$% insane!!

"Freely available?" HEEEEEELL NO. Have you read the copyright license for Game Maker? It more or less says that if you make a good game YoYo Games can demand the rights to it. Where the hell is the education going if students can't make something without getting it stolen by some !@#$% commercial-driven organization who happens to sponsor the !@#$%? It's !@#$% insane. Academic and educational institution should use REAL freely available and neutral tools. Otherwise they will lose their primary goal; to teach and let people learn. You can't learn with Game Maker; it restricts you too much (and I don't mean that in a technical way; I mean it restricts what rights you have, and among them is the right to learn!)

I'm sure yoyo games will never ty to get the rights for your game, they probably just put it in there for whatever.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 11:05:36 pm »
Well, Lets just hope that this is an introduction to Games Programming. Even then, it seems somewhat a bad choice...

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 11:06:36 pm »
  • hungry..
My college uses Game Maker. Regged, too.

And we did a couple of classes on it.

Making pacman. <__<

I made a crappy Zelda game 'cos I was bored with Pacman. :P
I got into Game Maker from my school lol. My IT teacher, for some reason installed it on the system, and I found it in like year 9/10, I made a game in it real quick and he was like... O.o woah! Downloaded it at home and decided to learn how it worked.
  • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 11:09:38 pm »
  • IBV
This is !@#$% insane!!

This is !@#$% insane!!

I'm sure yoyo games will never ty to get the rights for your game, they probably just put it in there for whatever.

O_O;; That was the worst excuse EVER. Seriously. And either way, there are tons of other problems with the license. For example they don't provide you with the source code to the program. That's like giving an edu-book to students and forbid them to read the actual text. Such things shouldn't be used on an on a school. There are tons of better and more free alternatives to Game Maker, just as good and dare I say even better?
My signature is empty.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 11:18:17 pm »
This is !@#$% insane!!

This is !@#$% insane!!

O_O;; That was the worst excuse EVER. Seriously. And either way, there are tons of other problems with the license. For example they don't provide you with the source code to the program. That's like giving an edu-book to students and forbid them to read the actual text. Such things shouldn't be used on an on a school. There are tons of better and more free alternatives to Game Maker, just as good and dare I say even better?

It's not an excuse.

some people don't want you looking at their source code >.>

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 11:51:12 pm »
Well, I agree with Venus. But heck, it's not like they learn to be professionals only with GameMaker. They won't make awesome games with a gameplay of 20 hours with it. It's a nice introduction to understand the basics. And once you find out how much GM limits you, you will automatically move to the next better thing. And Pyru's right too, they WILL give their students other opportunities for IT, like C and C++ and that other funky stuff you kids use these days. Unless it's a really HORRIBLE school.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 12:09:36 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
does it really matter?  If it's an introductory course then it's fine...most classes use visual basic though...BUT I DONT GIVE A !@#$% ABOUT VISUAL BASIC!! WTF IS DIM I AS INTEGER?? NO!  IF I WANT TO DECLARE A VARIABLE I JUST TO INT I;! DONE! =D

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 12:54:31 am »
does it really matter?  If it's an introductory course then it's fine...most classes use visual basic though...BUT I DONT GIVE A !@#$% ABOUT VISUAL BASIC!! WTF IS DIM I AS INTEGER?? NO!  IF I WANT TO DECLARE A VARIABLE I JUST TO INT I;! DONE! =D

Well its not important I was just thrilled to see a commonly called, by other outside this forum or the GMC, as a rinky dink baby game program that does the work for you was getting attention by a community college by being made available on the campus.

FYI: GM is not a rinky dink baby game program! Ever heard of the C.Fergun Virus? It was a low threat virus that used the same default caption backgroung for there fake error messages that it displayed that GM5.1+ used! So in my oppinion GM could be used to create viruses. Its a powerful program that should be used for good not evil.
Visit Parnell Games
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 07:51:51 am »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
Venus, stop being paranoid and get off those damn drugs. A college uses Gamemaker. AWNAWS THE WORLD ENDS.. -.-
My name is Pitt
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 11:59:00 am »
  • IBV
This is !@#$% insane!!

This is !@#$% insane!!

It's not an excuse.

And then at least such programs don't belong in a school or university.

Venus, stop being paranoid and get off those damn drugs. A college uses Gamemaker. AWNAWS THE WORLD ENDS.. -.-

It's a very serious thing. Of course, if you prefer a world where you have no freedom, where you can't learn, where you can't teach, and so on, sure then it's not so serious. However I don't prefer that kind of world and every sign I see of that world coming closer I must make sure people see it from another perspective which they might never have seen it before.

For example. A lot of people here might object to the decision because GameMaker is inferior technically and while I do agree with them for objecting, they might forget that there are much more important things than what's powerful enough to teach. In fact, if GameMaker was ethical (for example by being free software) I would love to see it being used by interested new students to learn the basics.

At the same time, the people who swallow and accept these decisions without thinking twice, I give them the opportunity to know more what's behind these decisions and how they might affect the society. Of course in the end they can choose what they think and what they will be doing about it, if anything at all.

I'm sorry, but I can't really see the world getting to this, and I do have the right to inform, so stop being an ass. If you don't agree with me then ignore me. :) I'm only asking you to listen to me if you want to listen to me.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 06:38:11 pm »
wow this is turning into a debate.

Boy do I wish I could move this thread to the debates forum and rename the title:

"Game Maker in Colleges, right or wrong?"

(Hint Hint Mods)
Visit Parnell Games
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 06:41:07 pm »
This is !@#$% insane!!

This is !@#$% insane!!

It's not an excuse.

And then at least such programs don't belong in a school or university.

It's a very serious thing. Of course, if you prefer a world where you have no freedom, where you can't learn, where you can't teach, and so on, sure then it's not so serious. However I don't prefer that kind of world and every sign I see of that world coming closer I must make sure people see it from another perspective which they might never have seen it before.

For example. A lot of people here might object to the decision because GameMaker is inferior technically and while I do agree with them for objecting, they might forget that there are much more important things than what's powerful enough to teach. In fact, if GameMaker was ethical (for example by being free software) I would love to see it being used by interested new students to learn the basics.

At the same time, the people who swallow and accept these decisions without thinking twice, I give them the opportunity to know more what's behind these decisions and how they might affect the society. Of course in the end they can choose what they think and what they will be doing about it, if anything at all.

I'm sorry, but I can't really see the world getting to this, and I do have the right to inform, so stop being an ass. If you don't agree with me then ignore me. :) I'm only asking you to listen to me if you want to listen to me.

You're acting like Game Maker is being run by communists, you're going way overboard man.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 106 queries.