Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Who plays music here?  (Read 7244 times)

Re: Who plays music here?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 12:35:03 am »
I play Trumpet, I am also learning Guitar. I've had my Guitar since I was 6, but I'm just now getting to it. XD
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 07:47:56 am »
  • *whistle*
Btw, are you teaching yourself? I am- it's so much more worth it, imo. Guitar lessons are a waste of money nowadays.

You'll never learn a lot of important stuff, if you teach yourself. I've always, always, sworn by learning from a good teacher. That's half the reason why I'm so much better at guitar than anything else - I'm self-taught on everything else. I'm not bad, but not brilliant either.
Yeah, self-teaching in music is quite difficult. Specially for your first instrument, because you wouldn't have theorical knowledge on music. But I know a few people who learned how to play the guitar alone, though.

I'm not even talking about just theory; especially for guitar, there's a lot of technique and things like fretboard patterns that most people will never learn on their own, because it either never occurs to them, or they never bother to look into it.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 08:18:20 am »
  • Silly cat!
I don't play any music. Though I do write lyrics and my friend writes music for them and claims the songs as his own 8D. I don't mind though, it's just for fun.

I was going to start learning piano soon.

Hoffy.
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 12:07:28 pm »
  • IBV
Btw, are you teaching yourself? I am- it's so much more worth it, imo. Guitar lessons are a waste of money nowadays.

You'll never learn a lot of important stuff, if you teach yourself. I've always, always, sworn by learning from a good teacher. That's half the reason why I'm so much better at guitar than anything else - I'm self-taught on everything else. I'm not bad, but not brilliant either.
Yeah, self-teaching in music is quite difficult. Specially for your first instrument, because you wouldn't have theorical knowledge on music. But I know a few people who learned how to play the guitar alone, though.

I'm not even talking about just theory; especially for guitar, there's a lot of technique and things like fretboard patterns that most people will never learn on their own, because it either never occurs to them, or they never bother to look into it.

It's not really a problem though. No one is forcing you to play for example the guitar like you are "supposed to". No one is even forcing you to play with music theory in mind. If it sounds good to yourself, why bother play conventional? :P
My signature is empty.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 01:04:25 pm »
  • :3
I think having a disregard for the "rules" of playing guitar helps- just look at it as a piece of wood, six wires, and it's yours to do what you want with it. Obviously you do have to make music with it and at least learn the basics though. >_>

I was told not to use my thumb by some guys, but Tom Morello does- and look where he is.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 01:23:30 pm »

It's not really a problem though. No one is forcing you to play for example the guitar like you are "supposed to". No one is even forcing you to play with music theory in mind. If it sounds good to yourself, why bother play conventional? :P
You can better take lessons AND teaching yourself. So you'll play better than the rest of your music class, just what I did :P
  • Virtual Security
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 02:09:03 pm »
  • IBV

You can better take lessons AND teaching yourself. So you'll play better than the rest of your music class, just what I did :P

Sure if it works for you, why not? You shouldn't expect everyone to do it the same way as you do though.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 02:15:42 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
I was told not to use my thumb by some guys, but Tom Morello does- and look where he is.

using your thumb is bad technique, but Tommy M knows that, so he only uses it when he sees that it plays a particular advantage in a certain situation. he'll revert back to good technique when that situation is over, and thats the secret really. he experimented for at least 2 hours a day (out of his 8 hour daily routine) so he knows lots of handy "bad" techniques.

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 03:31:30 pm »
IMO, if it's you first instrument (including voice as instrument), you usually don't have as much "hearing ability" (I mean, the ability to identify the notes and the combinations) as someone who has learned more instruments or has experience in music. If you do that, it's probable that when you play a music you think that you're playing the correct notes, but people who have a better "hearing ability" will notice that there are wrong notes in the context. Also, if you know musical theory, you are able to know if a combination of notes sounds good without hearing it, so if you don't have much hearing ability, but you know musical theory, you're still able to identify the wrong notes of a song when you analyze the musical notation.
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 07:27:51 pm »
  • IBV
IMO, if it's you first instrument (including voice as instrument), you usually don't have as much "hearing ability" (I mean, the ability to identify the notes and the combinations) as someone who has learned more instruments or has experience in music. If you do that, it's probable that when you play a music you think that you're playing the correct notes, but people who have a better "hearing ability" will notice that there are wrong notes in the context. Also, if you know musical theory, you are able to know if a combination of notes sounds good without hearing it, so if you don't have much hearing ability, but you know musical theory, you're still able to identify the wrong notes of a song when you analyze the musical notation.

IMO, there's no "right" and "wrong". There are tons of musicians that play out of tune and what you call "wrong" because they find it much more artistic and enjoyable. Of course they seldom do this "just because", but they don't want to put up boundaries for themselves, they want artistic freedom, they want to be able to do anything even if it's breaking conventional music "rules".
My signature is empty.
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 08:13:17 pm »

IMO, there's no "right" and "wrong". There are tons of musicians that play out of tune and what you call "wrong" because they find it much more artistic and enjoyable. Of course they seldom do this "just because", but they don't want to put up boundaries for themselves, they want artistic freedom, they want to be able to do anything even if it's breaking conventional music "rules".
Music theory are not conventions. The names they give to the combinations, the symbols used in musical notation yes, are conventions. But music theory is taught so that you learn what notes match and what feeling they transmit to the ones are listening the music. Musical theory tells you if the notes match or not, and when the notes don't match they usually sound very disturbing. In soundtracks for horror movies they sometimes break these rules to provoke fear and suspense, because the notes sound disturbing and uncommon. But you're taught that these uncommon combinations transmit this feeling, and they are not used in songs, because people don't like to sing or hear these combinations.

So when you're playing a song by heart, if you forget some notes, you can apply music theory in the song to discover what notes are missing. But if you apply it in the wrong way, the notes won't match and the song will sound disturbing.

If you don't know how to read musical notation, and you don't know musical theory, and you're self-teaching yourself; it is very difficult for you to learn a song by heart, unless you have an excellent hearing ability to analyse the harmony and the melody of the song.
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 09:03:05 pm »

You do need to have good ears for playing instruments. My brother who is 18 and can't play better guitar than me, because he never played music before, and has bad ears for music. But for people who LISTEN many music, that would be easier to play instruments if they have an idea for what they actually want to play.
  • Virtual Security
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2007, 09:10:21 pm »
Well you already knew I play flute, but I was asked two weeks ago if me and two of the other girls from our school's band could play saxophones in the jazz band too. It's not really hard to pick up, as most of the fingerings are the same or similar to flute. I just got stuck with the baritone :P.
And I also mess around on my keyboard often, just listening to songs then playing them.

So when you're playing a song by heart, if you forget some notes, you can apply music theory in the song to discover what notes are missing. But if you apply it in the wrong way, the notes won't match and the song will sound disturbing.

If you don't know how to read musical notation, and you don't know musical theory, and you're self-teaching yourself; it is very difficult for you to learn a song by heart, unless you have an excellent hearing ability to analyse the harmony and the melody of the song.
I can do that. When I was six I was listening to songs on the morning music show, then I'd go and play them on the keyboard, with a few mistakes at first, but after a short time almost perfectly. And I could remember them too. I can also do that on my flute.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:16:38 pm by blue_chu_jelly »
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2007, 09:21:02 pm »

I can do that. When I was six I was listening to songs on the morning music show, then I'd go and play them on the keyboard, with a few mistakes at first, but after a short time almost perfectly. And I could remember them too. I can also do that on my flute.
This means you have a good hearing ability ;). It's not everyone who can do that so easily.
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2007, 09:21:57 pm »
  • *whistle*
Well you already knew I play flute, but I was asked two weeks ago if me and two of the other girls from our school's band could play saxophones in the jazz band too. It's not really hard to pick up, as most of the fingerings are the same or similar to flute. I just got stuck with the baritone :P.

Yeah, the friend of mine who got me into playing saxophone got to Grade 5 or 6 on flute within a month of starting simply because of his knowledge of saxophone.

And baritone? Sweet. I wish I had a baritone... I just play alto. <__< Baritone, bass and tenor sax are completely awesome, and soprano sax is pretty cool just for the "This isn't a clarinet" factor.

Alto is like the least cool sax of 'em all. :P
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2007, 09:24:06 pm »
It's a school baritone though. Still sounds alright. It's enjoyable.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2007, 09:51:11 pm »
  • IBV

Music theory are not conventions. The names they give to the combinations, the symbols used in musical notation yes, are conventions. But music theory is taught so that you learn what notes match and what feeling they transmit to the ones are listening the music. Musical theory tells you if the notes match or not, and when the notes don't match they usually sound very disturbing. In soundtracks for horror movies they sometimes break these rules to provoke fear and suspense, because the notes sound disturbing and uncommon. But you're taught that these uncommon combinations transmit this feeling, and they are not used in songs, because people don't like to sing or hear these combinations.

No, I don't believe a word of what you say. I think you should be able to play however you want. You basically say that if you don't follow music theory the music will sound bad, disturbing or unappealing. But that's not true at all! You forget one thing; what is good and bad is NOT the same for everyone. I enjoy a lot of music where the musicians just sat down and forgot everything about notes, music theory and so on and just EXPERIMENTED. In the end they have improvised a good piece without even thinking of what they did. They might have followed music theory without thinking about it, but a lot of it is probably breaking it. Either way, it still sounds good. At least for those who like it (duh). Oh, and there ARE people who like it. ;)

I'm not saying following music theory is BAD (I enjoy a lot of music based on it as well). But I AM saying that not following it doesn't necessarily make it bad.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2007, 09:57:35 pm »
  • *whistle*
Basically every single piece of music ever that has been vaguely listenable, has been based on SOME kind of musical theory. It might not be always the same musical theory but there's always something in it that fits to some kind of order, not just some random rubbish - whether that was intended or not.
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 10:27:35 pm »
Basically every single piece of music ever that has been vaguely listenable, has been based on SOME kind of musical theory. It might not be always the same musical theory but there's always something in it that fits to some kind of order, not just some random rubbish - whether that was intended or not.
That's it.

@Venus: Please don't overuse capitals, it makes it seem we are arguing about this. But anyway, do you really know what is music theory? It's a study of what patterns composers use on their music and what feelings they represent. For instance: the most used combinations are Minor and Major, which usually represent, respectively, sad and happy feelings. For instance, the song "Happy Birthday to you" uses melody and harmony in Major tones. But if you transfer it to Minor, it becomes something more similar to funeral music (yes, it sounds really creepy). And if you manage to combine major and minor correctly in the same music you can express various different emotions. Similarly, music theory also studies rhythms of music. You can have 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, etc. 4/4 is by far the most used rhythm, because it's easy to manipulate (all the intervals of time in the music are multiples of 2, so that you can balance it well). 3/4 is the second most used rhythm, it's usually used in waltz and ballet, because it fits the rhythm of this sort of dance. However, 5/4, 7/4 and 9/8 sound unusual to our ears, and it takes some time until we get used to the rhythm of the song. It's not considered a bad pattern, it's only unusual. These rhythms are also much more difficult to compose in, because you have to use notes in intervals that sum 5, 7 and 9. But I'm sure that I've learned a beautiful Beethoven sonata in 5/4. Though I've only seen one 7/8 track so far, it was a horror theme. I've composed a 9/8 music once, because it wouldn't fit the 4/4 key, but it really isn't common. It's also possible to compose part of a song in one rhythm and the other part in another, but you would have to add a pause so that it doesn't become a too sudden change and sound difficult for the hearer to assimilate.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:29:07 pm by sjegtp »
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2007, 10:38:33 pm »
  • IBV

I'm not exactly sure if you agree or disagreed with me. But I think I agree with what you wrote there. Except "random rubbish".

That's it.

@Venus: Please don't overuse capitals, it makes it seem we are arguing about this. But anyway, do you really know what is music theory? It's a study of what patterns composers use on their music and what feelings they represent. For instance: the most used combinations are Minor and Major, which usually represent, respectively, sad and happy feelings. For instance, the song "Happy Birthday to you" uses melody and harmony in Major tones. But if you transfer it to Minor, it becomes something more similar to funeral music (yes, it sounds really creepy). And if you manage to combine major and minor correctly in the same music you can express various different emotions. Similarly, music theory also studies rhythms of music. You can have 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, etc. 4/4 is by far the most used rhythm, because it's easy to manipulate (all the intervals of time in the music are multiples of 2, so that you can balance it well). 3/4 is the second most used rhythm, it's usually used in waltz and ballet, because it fits the rhythm of this sort of dance. However, 5/4, 7/4 and 9/8 sound unusual to our ears, and it takes some time until we get used to the rhythm of the song. It's not considered a bad pattern, it's only unusual. These rhythms are also much more difficult to compose in, because you have to use notes in intervals that sum 5, 7 and 9. But I'm sure that I've learned a beautiful Beethoven sonata in 5/4. Though I've only seen one 7/8 track so far, it was a horror theme. I've composed a 9/8 music once, because it wouldn't fit the 4/4 key, but it really isn't common. It's also possible to compose part of a song in one rhythm and the other part in another, but you would have to add a pause so that it doesn't become a too sudden change and sound difficult for the hearer to assimilate.

Sorry for the capitals. I use them rather than formating my text because it's what is often used in "non-formattable" enviroment (such as plain text). You are not supposed to read it like I raise my voice, only putting emphasize on the word :P

I still don't agree. I could make a song without caring if it was in 4/4, 3/4, 5/4 or even 125/66 but of course it could probably be measured to be something, but that doesn't change the fact that I made up the song without caring :P So in that way I mean you can create it without knowing anything about music theory. It's not essential to create music, it might however be essential to describe music. You don't need to be able to describe music to create it, just like you don't need to be able to describe an emotion to feel it. Am I making sense now? I'm sorry if I am not.. D:
My signature is empty.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 75 queries.