Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My cousin's band just got signed to Epitaph Records...  (Read 2124 times)

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between
My cousin's band just got signed to Epitaph Reco...
« on: August 18, 2007, 04:18:51 pm »
  • ...Is it recording?
I was going to the Epitaph page to check out Millencolin's artist page, when I found this...

http://www.epitaph.com/artists/artist/247/

OUR LAST NIGHT SIGNS WITH EPITAPH RECORDS

Epitaph Records is proud to announce the signing of New Hampshire based rock/hardcore/screamo group Our Last Night. Having just begun to make a name for themselves throughout the east coast, the group is planning to expand their horizons this spring with the release of their debut album on Epitaph.

Inspired by hardcore and metal, Our Last Night delivers an onslaught of taut thrashing riffs and intense hardcore breakdowns that meld got signed to a major record label such as Epitaph.perfectly with lush melodic landscapes and soaring, irresistibly catchy choruses. Sharp technical precision meets raw inspiration on songs like the addictive "Escape" which is currently streaming here.

Our Last Night, which consists of Trevor Wentworth (growls), Matt Wentworth (guitar, melodic vocals), Alex "Woody" Woodrow (bass), Colin Perry (guitar) and Tim Molloy (drums), was formed in 2004 by childhood friends who were fed up with merely jamming and playing cover songs. With only a few live performances under their belt, Our Last Night entered the studio shortly afterwards to record their first EP, We've Been Holding Back. Vigorous live performances helped the band earn respect and fans throughout the New England area and by 2005 they entered the studio to record their next EP, Building Cities From Scratch. In the summer of 2007, after being impressed by their self-made demos, owner and president of Epitaph Records, Brett Gurewitz, came calling and invited the band to join the label.

"From the very first note of the demo I was blown away by the sophistication of their writing and the technical playing which belies their young age," said Gurewitz. "Add to that the control and range of Matt's stellar singing voice and I was sold."

Currently meeting with producers and writing new songs, Our Last Night plans to debut their first full length album in spring of 2008. The group joins Epitaph's impressive roster which includes such hard-hitting bands as Gallows, Vanna, Parkway Drive and Escape The Fate.

Alex Woodrow is my cousin. Looks like I'm not going to see him that much anymore, but hey, he's gonna be famous! I feel like the happiest cousin alive right now ^_^

Anyway, if you're into hardcore/metal, listen to the song they have there ("Escape"). You'll like it for sure. ;)
06/29/2014 - forever and always <3
Re: My cousin's band just got signed to Epitaph ...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 05:02:53 pm »
  • *whistle*
Congratulations; your cousin just sold out. He signed to a major.

I'm sure you feel happy being related to someone who sold out to large corporate interests who don't care about him as a person or an artist, in order to make some more cash. :D
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 06:30:34 pm »
  • IBV
Yah sorry to break you dude. But in no time (or probably already, if they signed a contract) your cousins music will not be owned (as in copyright) by himself, but by the record comany and ultimately a fat man with high hat (j/k). They will put hazardous DRM on the music and their goal will be to get the "paid to receive" ratio as high as possible, even if it means user subjugating tactics and less actual music distribution.

That is if it's true the Epitaph is a member of RIAA:
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epitaph_Records
In mid-2005 Epitaph was added to the official list of RIAA members[1] along with several other high-profile independent labels. The reason for the listing is not clear, but one source points to an agreement for internet P2P distribution [2] ("Independent Labels Sign Deal With Snocap"). Another source claims label management joined RIAA in order to get certified sales awards (ie, official "Gold" or "Platinum" record status) for releases. This sparked some controversy as some feel they should no longer be labeled independent if they are a member of the RIAA.[3]

However, the only source that has actually been used for these claims of membership is the official RIAA membership list, which has been disputed. [4] As of this writing, not only is Epitaph listed as an official member, but Lookout! Records and Fat Wreck Chords are once again listed, even though they were already falsely listed before.

You should tell your cousin that he leaves them RIGHT NOW. If they already got the rights to some music, fight them back if you can! If you already know today you can't get them back wait to leave until it's actually released, otherwise you'll most likely see it released under another band-name and all your cousins credit will be lost.

Then tell him to use the internet as distributor, it works a lot better than the ancient centralized way through record labels.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:32:07 pm by Venus »
My signature is empty.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 09:19:31 pm »
  • *whistle*
Hah, yeah, Venus is right. The music industry is booming. The record industry is not. The way forward is digital music and live shows; record companies have failed to embrace either of those particularly well.

It'd be better to sign to a management or touring label rather than a recording one.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:26:22 pm »
  • IBV
Hah, yeah, Venus is right. The music industry is booming. The record industry is not. The way forward is digital music and live shows; record companies have failed to embrace either of those particularly well.

It'd be better to sign to a management or touring label rather than a recording one.

Though I hate the word "industry". It feels like it is as far from art as you can get >_>;; (well unless you use the word as inspiration for art, lol).
My signature is empty.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:12:42 pm »
  • *whistle*
I mean music as business; a method of making money. Records aren't so profitable any more, but every other aspect of music is making more and more money than it did before.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 10:17:05 pm »
  • Txet Lanosrep
Congrats man thats pretty cool, not really a fan of the genre though. XD

You should tell your cousin that he leaves them RIGHT NOW. If they already got the rights to some music, fight them back if you can! If you already know today you can't get them back wait to leave until it's actually released, otherwise you'll most likely see it released under another band-name and all your cousins credit will be lost.

Then tell him to use the internet as distributor, it works a lot better than the ancient centralized way through record labels.

Or he could just stay, make tons of money and have fun playing for a big band.

Or you know, never do any of those things, and play at small gigs every once and a while.  ;)

Retro
  • TITANIC
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 10:24:40 pm »
Congrats man thats pretty cool, not really a fan of the genre though. XD

Or he could just stay, make tons of money and have fun playing for a big band.

Or you know, never do any of those things, and play at small gigs every once and a while.  ;)
And lose rights over HIS Creations. And watch his Record Label make more money off HIM and not his Music? Yeah, Sounds like a good plan.  :)
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 12:27:16 am »
How would the record label do that? I'm not really following you, Bert. If his name is on the stuff, it's still his. I mean, that "fat guy with top hat" sure as hell didn't sing them.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 06:18:52 am »
  • IBV
How would the record label do that? I'm not really following you, Bert. If his name is on the stuff, it's still his. I mean, that "fat guy with top hat" sure as hell didn't sing them.

If you take a CD with Britney Spears and put your name on it, is it yours? No it isn't. In the same way if you give your record label the rights to the music you don't own it anymore and they can do whatever they want (unless you have a contract). The name they put on it could even be part of the contract. If you leave the label you break the contract and unless you have made sure the contract says otherwise, you will not get back the rights to the music you made. It's quite complex stuff.
My signature is empty.

cpprograms

Banned
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 03:08:17 am »
Can't any of you people just be happy for him? o_o

I only got to sample a little bit but I can't say I'm surprised they got signed with that sound. It's got a pretty good sound for it for the genre. People will probably love it... that genre seems to be growing quite a bit. I'm not a big core fan but on occasion I like it. I might actually pick up that album when it comes out to see how it is.

Congratulate him for me, Epitaph is a pretty big label to be picked up by.
  • cpprograms
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 08:42:19 am »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
I agree. The "Anything Should Be Free Squad" has hijacked a thread once more.

Solarrain, I hope your cousin enjoys some success and can make some actual money. Getting signed to a major label is not a dirty feat, despite of what Venus is trying to tell you. If you want to be big, they are a necessary evil. Releasing mp3s on some website will never get his band to establish themselves.
My name is Pitt
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 10:55:53 am »
  • IBV
That is "Everyone should be free", thank you. How we try to reach this goal depends on situation. You can't really make a comparison between free software and this. They are two entirely different things, but my arguments are both based on the fact that I want everyone to be free for a free society. In this case, I don't want his music to be free, I want himself to be free from the control of the label.

Solarrain, I hope your cousin enjoys some success and can make some actual money. Getting signed to a major label is not a dirty feat, despite of what Venus is trying to tell you. If you want to be big, they are a necessary evil. Releasing mp3s on some website will never get his band to establish themselves.
-_-
It's just an advice. A recommendation. I just give it because if the label would screw his cousin (not literally) later he would remember me and give the advice further. I guess you really don't see that problem with today's society. Or maybe you prefer to not see it.

And you really have no idea about the powers of the Internet ;) Chances are he would get the music distributed to a lot more people that way, although he would probably have a lower "paid to receive"-ratio and maybe lower "known to have received"-ratio (for whatever reason one would care). But if he only cares about making some money from the music a couple of months and he doesn't mind to give away the rights to the music and have no control of it in the process then sure, any major label is for him. Oh, and if you haven't understood it yet. Giving away the rights to your own music pretty much means the label can decide whether or not to distribute it (because you are most likely not allowed to do it yourself anymore). There have been many cases where book-authors have sold their rights to a book to some publisher and then the publisher has refused to release more copies after a year or so (because it doesn't sell enough) but the author still doesn't get his rights back (and so no one can receive and read the book at all). The same happens to music, although in that case an album starts to sell a lot less after a couple of months or so (max one year), at least for new artists.
My signature is empty.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »
  • hungry..
Ugh, I was going to say the same thing... all this " FREE IS RIGHTEOUS! " !@#$% is pissing me off...
  • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 12:59:33 pm »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread
Ugh, I was going to say the same thing... all this " FREE IS RIGHTEOUS! " !@#$% is pissing me off...
Makes us three. His cousin's music will be spread to the masses, he will earn cash, he will most likely get tons of new fans as well.

You sound more like you have a grudge towards people with success, I hate your "GO GO FREEDOM FIGHTER SQUAD ALPHA GAMMA ULTRA MAX!!" thing you've got going. :\ Granted, I don't know a whole lot about the music industry, but I'm quite certain you're blowing it up quite a bit.

How can you even bother comparing BRITNEY SPEARS to a real band? That's absurd, she certainly doesn't own her songs, she doesn't even write them D:

I </3 Sol
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 02:49:32 pm »
  • IBV
Makes us three. His cousin's music will be spread to the masses, he will earn cash, he will most likely get tons of new fans as well.

You sound more like you have a grudge towards people with success, I hate your "GO GO FREEDOM FIGHTER SQUAD ALPHA GAMMA ULTRA MAX!!" thing you've got going. :\ Granted, I don't know a whole lot about the music industry, but I'm quite certain you're blowing it up quite a bit.
I'm not sure exactly how you can come to that conclusion since I'm actually trying to give an advice here o_O If he doesn't want to listen to it he can ignore it, right? Seriously, I don't really expect him to listen to me, but like I said, IF I'm right in the end, then at least he will try to convince his friends in the future. And here me advice takes real effect, because friends trust friends and they will hopefully listen before the damage is done next time.

Also, I don't really see it as success. -_-;; I know you can think it could just be empty words, but I swear that if I got the question to sign to a record label that I do not trust, I would NOT accept. And I would definitely not trust a label that demands the copyright to my work. The copyright laws are there to protect me, and not my publisher! I could give them rights to distribute it, but I would never give them all the rights.

How can you even bother comparing BRITNEY SPEARS to a real band? That's absurd, she certainly doesn't own her songs, she doesn't even write them D:

I used Britney Spears as an example for something totally different. Also, I didn't use her as a person as an example, I used one of her CDs (which has an owner, although, like you said; not her). It was used to explain for BlueMonkey that just because you made something it does not mean you have the rights for it. Or just because it says your name on it, it does not mean you made it or have the rights.
It's so simple that if you sell the rights (or even give them away in hope to get the money later for sales) you don't have them anymore, even if you made it. The one who now owns it (most likely the record company) has full control over it, just like if they made it.

In some countries, like in Sweden. It's not possible to transfer some rights. You can transfer rights to make money on it and so on, but you can't transfer the right to get credit for the work. So if you sign to a Swedish record label it's legally impossible to see your music distributed under some other name (at least in Sweden), even how much rights you try to give away. (you can however choose to ignore it, and it's not illegal for the distributor unless you choose to bring it up)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:51:28 pm by Venus »
My signature is empty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 69 queries.