Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Running DX10 on Windows XP?  (Read 5461 times)

Running DX10 on Windows XP?
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:30:46 am »
  • Official Forum Hippie/Writer
Now, the bigwigs at MS say that it's impossible, requiring you to upgrade expensively to Vista for what is essentially an XP upgrade.  Nonsense!  There must be a way to run Direct X 10 on XP!  Seriously, does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

In my search, anyway, I came across this gem:  http://www.fallingleafsystems.com/

I'm going to try and see if it's anything useful, but I want a discusson.  What do you guys think about it?
Re: Running DX10 on Windows XP?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 01:49:28 am »
  • Fear my Blades
They were supposed to release a DX 10 for games over a month and a half ago, but haven't said a single thing about it.  After reading this I'm not sure they plan on doing a full version of it that would work for games anyway.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:51:34 am »
u haev to upgrade bcuz of the dx10 "pipeline" that comes with a computer or sumtin

xp isnt compatible

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

COLORADO 27 - OKLAHOMA 24

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 10:57:50 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Halo 2 for PC runs off of DX10, right? Well, I know its possible to run the Vista-exclusive Halo 2 on a PC running XP :p... but I dunno if the appropriate patches do anything to the version of DirectX Halo 2 calls to... -_-... but still, if it still runs on DX10 while running on XP, then there should be a way to run DX10 on XP
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:57:17 pm »
  • IBV
DX10 will only work on Treacherous Computing (a.k.a. "Trusted Computing" by the "industry") enabled hardware. That's why Vista needs so high specs. Because new hardware are TC enabled. If Vista allowed old hardware, it would not work with TC and thus the users can't be controlled properly with TC, DRM and so on.

If you could install DX10 on Windows XP it would totally ruin MS goal to put everyone under control and surveillance on Vista. Because XP is not TC enabled, and the hardware it runs on is not either. Be prepared that IF they ever release a patch for Windows XP, expect that they claim you need to upgrade the hardware as well, or it won't work as you want. The truth is that it won't ever work as you want whatever you do.

TC is a scheme to encrypt all internal and possibly some external communication on your computer hardware. In this way you can't do what you want to do. There will be a small program in the hardware that monitors what you do to make sure you don't do anything "bad" with your own computer (such as copying a movie, downloading music, playing a pirated game and so on... maybe also make sure you're not getting services from competitors). Vista is capable of respecting this little Big Brother (the hardware). You can't change Vista, because it's proprietary, you can't change Big Brother because he's encrypted with a secret 2048-bit key and won't work unless he's encrypted (the only other option is to not use the computer at all).

Initially TC was supposed to allow you to decide what the hardware ("big brother") should allow or not. The industry quickly made an incompatible design that NOT lets you decide. Therefore there can be some TC that is usable, just as there are DRM that is usable (i.e. for personal stuff)... It's however unacceptable that TC is used against you to make sure you don't infringe on what the industry call their "intellectual property".

Read more about Treacherous Computing here:
http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treacherous_Computing
My signature is empty.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 01:20:13 am »
DX10 will only work on Treacherous Computing (a.k.a. "Trusted Computing" by the "industry") enabled hardware. That's why Vista needs so high specs. Because new hardware are TC enabled. If Vista allowed old hardware, it would not work with TC and thus the users can't be controlled properly with TC, DRM and so on.

If you could install DX10 on Windows XP it would totally ruin MS goal to put everyone under control and surveillance on Vista. Because XP is not TC enabled, and the hardware it runs on is not either. Be prepared that IF they ever release a patch for Windows XP, expect that they claim you need to upgrade the hardware as well, or it won't work as you want. The truth is that it won't ever work as you want whatever you do.

TC is a scheme to encrypt all internal and possibly some external communication on your computer hardware. In this way you can't do what you want to do. There will be a small program in the hardware that monitors what you do to make sure you don't do anything "bad" with your own computer (such as copying a movie, downloading music, playing a pirated game and so on... maybe also make sure you're not getting services from competitors). Vista is capable of respecting this little Big Brother (the hardware). You can't change Vista, because it's proprietary, you can't change Big Brother because he's encrypted with a secret 2048-bit key and won't work unless he's encrypted (the only other option is to not use the computer at all).

Initially TC was supposed to allow you to decide what the hardware ("big brother") should allow or not. The industry quickly made an incompatible design that NOT lets you decide. Therefore there can be some TC that is usable, just as there are DRM that is usable (i.e. for personal stuff)... It's however unacceptable that TC is used against you to make sure you don't infringe on what the industry call their "intellectual property".

Wow, you really are ZFGC's little conspiracy theorist.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 08:02:51 pm »
  • IBV

Wow, you really are ZFGC's little conspiracy theorist.

*shrugs* I'm not really asking everyone or anyone to believe me. If you don't want to listen to me, please don't. I guess you'll realize sooner or later, although it might be too late then.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 12:16:50 am »
M$ had previously announced that they plan on allowing DX10 only games to run on XP somehow one day. I'm sure they mostly meant Halo 2, but they spoke of it in a more general sense.
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
ATI RADEON HD 2600PRO 512MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z
Windows XP SP2

Current Projects: None.
- Trask
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 11:14:32 am »
  • IBV
M$ had previously announced that they plan on allowing DX10 only games to run on XP somehow one day. I'm sure they mostly meant Halo 2, but they spoke of it in a more general sense.

Again, if it happens, expect them to ask you to get new hardware, that use TC. It would be suicide for them to make XP work just like Vista without adding the controlling "features" in Vista (which requires new TC compatible hardware). They would not make people change to Vista anymore, if they did that. They could make a compromise though, if they also added the controlling measures for XP (but at the same time, that's hard for them, because it would be hard to convince users to change hardware... which is their main reason for them not changing to Vista in the first place!).
My signature is empty.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 10:23:10 am »
Halo 2 for PC runs off of DX10, right?
Both exclusive Games for Windows titles (Halo 2 and Shadowrun) run in DirectX9.
the a o d c

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 10:25:00 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
oh :\ nevermind then XD

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 11:51:00 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
-_-;; bah not to have any bad blood or anything, (and no this isnt directed to you, Sol) but really, is it absolutely necessary to hijack every thread with the conspiracy !@#$%? honestly. It pisses people off, and no one really cares to hear about how MS is bad and everything else is good as long as it fits into a global scheme of holding hands and sharing without restrictions. Really, no one cares. At all. Its rude to post your agenda in EVERY thread you see, especially when the agenda is generally FLAWED.

*2 cents*
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 07:18:05 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I think it was aimed more at Venus...
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 07:29:34 pm »
-_-;; bah not to have any bad blood or anything, (and no this isnt directed to you, Sol) but really, is it absolutely necessary to hijack every thread with the conspiracy !@#$%?
It's been that way in the tech board for months. EVERY GODDAMN TOPIC THAT CAN POSSIBLY HAVE OS PUSHING HAS IT.

And it doesn't goddamn help anyone.

If you guys want to push your ideas, make a topic for it. Stop using help topics and other things for this !@#$%.
  • Google Profile

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 10:33:06 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol it was aimed at Venus, Sol :P
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 03:28:52 am »
  • w00t
Sol, calm down.  Mammy does have a valid point in that every other thread in Tech Talk has either Venus or you discussing some anti-freedom stance, or why such-and-such operating system is better because it represents such-and-such ideals, or why such-and-such company is evil and should be boycotted.  To be honest, I agree, it's getting annoying.  However, you are fully entitled to your opinion, and as such I don't really have a valid reason to ask you to stop, other than the fact that it gets on people's nerves. 

As for Venus, I have no idea why he wants his account deleted.  Until you mentioned it, I didn't even know it was pending deletion.
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 05:16:28 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Conspiracies? I'm on Sol's side.(also with Ubuntu.Yay.)

DX10 on Xp...That woudl be nice if it was posable.

Lemme see if i can find something in Torrent world.
To ThePirateBay!

EdIt: Nope, Nuthin
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 05:19:18 am by LynkW »
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 07:31:52 pm »

I agree with Venus

Yay, Sol's back. <3

Everyone here is WAY too smug, think before you spout out "LOL CONSPIRATHY TEHORY". <_<

Anyway, I heard about using DX10 on XP a few months ago.

-_-;; bah not to have any bad blood or anything, (and no this isnt directed to you, Sol) but really, is it absolutely necessary to hijack every thread with the conspiracy !@#$%?
It's been that way in the tech board for months. EVERY GODDAMN TOPIC THAT CAN POSSIBLY HAVE OS PUSHING HAS IT.

If you guys want to push your ideas, make a topic for it. Stop using help topics and other things for this !@#$%.

It only makes sense that it would happen in this topic

I always hated people that don't like ideas "pushed on them". If no one "pushed" ideas on me, I'd still be believing in a cosmic-zombie-jew-that-would-make-me-immortal-if-I-thought-he-was-real. ;)
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 08:58:27 pm »

Direct X 10 for Windows XP?

TRY LINUX

oh wait Direct X 10 doesn't work for that either.

I always hated people that don't like ideas "pushed on them". If no one "pushed" ideas on me, I'd still be believing in a cosmic-zombie-jew-that-would-make-me-immortal-if-I-thought-he-was-real. ;)
You must be pretty easy to manipulate then.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 09:46:08 pm »

Direct X 10 for Windows XP?

TRY LINUX

oh wait Direct X 10 doesn't work for that either.

You must be pretty easy to manipulate then.
I don't want it and I don't need it. You can keep it.

I'm not easy to manipulate, but I could never learn as much from people if they didn't "push" their views on me. It contributes to the knowledge I need in order to decide for myself.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 74 queries.