Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Do better graphics really matter to you?

Yes, I'm a graphic !@#$%!
No, I bought a Wii!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do better graphics really matter to you?  (Read 5504 times)

Re: Do better graphics really matter to you?
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 07:28:19 pm »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
Graphics matter but don't matter as much as gameplay or ease-of-use. Bad graphics can mean different things to different people.

What I consider bad graphics are blending graphics. Like your avatar sprite blending in with the background or an enemy sprite blending in with the background (although sometimes, this is intentional, like for a dark room. Even then, your avatar is usually lit anyway). Too many bright colors put together or too many dark colors put together. The graphics portion needs to take into account the concepts of art into it (like you couldn't tell that) so one needs to take into account such things like contrast.

Still, underdeveloped graphics can not be a bad thing. Simple sprites contrasting with the background with good controls and good level design can make it a masterpiece. The same game done with blending graphics can destroy it.

Graphics matter but it isn't the only thing that makes a game good. Good graphics (i.e. I know where my avatar is, I know where my enemies are, I know where there's a pitfall, etc.) coupled with bad controls or level design can be just as disastrous. Even bad programming, such as bad collision detection, can break a game even it has awesome graphics.

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts

A Storm in the Desert

Eternal Triangle
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 06:59:42 am »
  • Wear the Deku Sprout Smile :]
I think that gratuitously good graphics are fine, as long as the rest of the game/gameplay mechanics don't suffer due to the developers spending no time on anything but the GFX.
Surely you can do it!
Believe in your strengths...Believe...

-Happy Mask Salesman

Tet

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 10:57:51 pm »
  • I believe. I believe in ghosts.
I'd like to call that first category of gamers GREAT WHITE SHARKS. Their body, their teeth, their speed... a marvel of aquatic evolution.
I'd like to call that second category of gamers MOTHERFUCKING NARWHALS. They might look ugly or weird, but goddamn if that motherfucking horn doesnt just impale every !@#$% seal in sight, goddamn.
What about the manatees?
n__n
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 46 queries.

anything