Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: [REVISE] Forest Temple  (Read 18155 times)

Re: [REVISE] Forest Temple
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 06:24:51 am »
I want to help but I need some help since I got some questions.

The dungeon is part of the map or it doesn't matter the size?
apart from the sword and shield do you got into this point of the game?
what thief skills you masterz?
someone mentioned to add jumping roll etc into the dungeon, but what especially this are and how link can interact? which ones are exactly?
are we going to have mushroom jump like in mc?

apart from that some ideas I grabbed from MC map
http://loopyluke.com/zfgccp/LegendOfZelda-MinishCap-Hyrule.png

Add those weird green vines in the mountain region for this link to climb he would either grab? or push? them not sure which into water to make them grow.

they will also be green vines that won't need to grow they will be there as part of the game, instead of adding ladders we add this.
(perhaps since it's the first map we could add the other type of climbing wall to get the player used to them before entering the dungeon or in the dungeon)

The big vine ( in the MC map left from Link house) might be the entrance to the dungeon ( perhaps you get a magical seed as a small quest by buying it or by doing X mission )

from the hyrule castle we can add those trees to make a small maze or as part of decoration for the dungeon.

Same with the death trees from the mountain area and the death trees from the overworld ( the tall ones)

The dungeon will be separated into two areas the tree part of the dungeon and the ground part if you fall you end in the ground area. or in another tree

the deeper the dungeon the darker it will get and if you fall you end in a creepier ground area ( tthink of the graveyard of mc )

perhaps if you go too high you end in a cloud area like in mc?

we can use the vines from the swamp as spikes in the map and use the bridges from the swamp too, just make horizontal and vertical.

add a raining area or a windy area.. ( how about both haha)

use the barrel from the first dungeon of MC too.

just some ideas to help BlaceBigBang, I will give it a try with the mapping once I find time.

Also since it's the first dungeon we must make the player use almost all the abilities he has like jumping wall running, hiding from enemies, picpocketing etc, to make it more as a gimmick and to make them get used to how the abilities will help them beat the dungeon
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 12:48:01 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Download the Design Doc, you will get it better than if I explained here.
No, it's just the dungeon. I just made it too big the map XD
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 10:15:24 pm »
  • It's just Max.
We honestly haven't decided what thief moves Link will have when as of now. I'm gonna say that it's most likely (as it's most logical) that Link would learn vaulting, then tightrope walking, then wall running. The other thief moves strike me as ones he would just know, rather than learn. So I'd say, out of those three, maybe he'd know how to vault, or maybe not. Probably not wall running or tightrope walking.

I'll look over a lot more of this when I have more time... I'm super busy this week!
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 02:38:02 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Well, let me clear things a bit. I'm working in a whole new design for the Forest Temple.
It will have 4 floors: 1F, 2F, basement, and a kind of floor below the basement. The most maze-like part will be in the basement. The player will have to enter 4 times to the basement. I'm working this with zdude, so he'll help me with the basement, although I have a couple ideas for where to place chests and that.
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 02:15:52 am »
EDIT: Sorry to those who may have already read this but I decided to redo my post.

When the word "Forest Temple" comes to my mind I imagine:

* Vines/Thorns
* Leaf Overhangs
* Plants/Fungi
* Carpets

For the first puzzle, I imagine something simple. Like Link having to climb on a vine covered wall to cross a large gap to reach a floor switch. For another early puzzle I can imagine some plant hecking to find a key amongst the foliage and of course, some traditional boomerang puzzles (suggestion: keep the first boomerang switch stationary, then have the others move).

Some "kill enemies to open door" rooms would be good too.

If I recall this dungeon features the cog that makes tornadoes, so why not some wind based puzzles too in addition?

I imagine a maze screen, and the carpet indicates the correct way.

For scenery, non-climbable vines, glowing mushrooms, pollen and leaf overhangs might do the trick. For leaf overhangs try using them close to entrances that lead to outdoor areas and don't use them at all when you are deep within the dungeon, just for a neat effect.

For the boss room, I suggest it takes place indoors. Make the room unique by giving it exclusive tiles you won't be seeing anywhere else such as thorns (MC's level 1 boss had them on the side walls) stained glass windows and perhaps a symbol on the floor that is covered in moss.

I say the size of this dungeon should match Deepwoods Shrine's size.

Thanks for reading my humble thoughts -- good luck Blaze and to also whoever else is working on this temple!
    ~ Shane
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:56:18 am by Shane »
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 02:22:13 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Is just the layout. All the details, in case this dungeon is accepted, I will be adding them. Also check out the 1st floor. Also, now I'm working on the basement. That part will be more maze-like. About the battle field, I thought it to be outdoors, because everybody was saying that they prefered the open areas, but it's the same.
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 03:29:12 pm »
Here is what could improve the look of the dungeon:

* The dungeon rooms are too square, try to give a more inspiring and fancier shape.
* The floor placement in the entrance screen feels cluttered to the right and empty to the left - try and scatter them more a bit.
* The treetop structure feels unnatural - some are even placed symmetrically.

Overall though, it's a solid and functional map.
    ~ Shane
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:36:52 pm by Shane »
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »
  • It's the grineer
* The dungeon rooms are too square, try to give a more inspiring and fancier shape.

I don't know what do you mean with this.

thestig

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 04:05:28 pm »
I think he's trying to say that your rooms are too grid-like, as if they're pre-generated by some program. (i.e. Phantasy Star as an example, or the .heck// series on the ps2)
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2012, 04:15:18 pm »
  • It's the grineer
I'm doing it by myself. Oh no, I'm a program! :o

thestig

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »
Lol! Of course not, Blaze.. just curious, are you improvising this design? If you are, then that would be your problem. See, like how you have the series of rooms going on in the middle? They're literally the same size/shape, there's almost no diversity among them. That's what I was trying to get at. Like, change things up a little.. to give it flow, if you know what I mean. Just reference Nintendo's dungeon designs. Each room is presented differently for some puzzle or just mere aesthetics, to keep things fresh.
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »
Yep, basically what gm112 said. =P Give each room different tile placement and room shape and I'm sure that will do the trick. =)
    ~ Shane
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2012, 06:05:44 pm »
  • It's the grineer
So, what you're saying is to change tiles?
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2012, 07:02:27 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
He means that the rooms are similar, he also means that they should be a little bit more improvised, or irregualr in shape I guess. Thats what I feel he's saying.
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 10:31:14 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Here I have a sketch for a QUARTER PART of the Basement, done by me and my pencil. I know it looks horrible, but it's what I got. The "TD", means trapdoor, but in this case is Mimic Door (I just got informed that trapdoor doesn't mean that is a trap door  XD). In case of getting rejected, I'd have to change all that. For looking at it well, you must rotate the image 90ยบ to the right. Then, the most north-east point, will be a place near the Boss Key room. Don't care about that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:41:47 pm by BlazeBigBang »
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 12:04:28 am »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
That's fricken huge for a quarter part.

PS. I had to download it to actually get a good look at it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:08:44 am by zdude684 »
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 11:34:36 am »
  • It's the grineer
Is just that the 1F will be very short.
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 05:16:37 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
You still seem to be stuck on the grid layout that Shane and GM mentioned.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »
  • It's the grineer
I'm already working on that, but I'm not sure if it's OK. Check what I have 'till now
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:27 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Tomorrow is my last day of school (woo!), so in my three free weeks I will work much more on everything abou KoT, but first of all, I will redo this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 77 queries.

anything