Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

What language or program do you use?

C/C++
- 28 (28.6%)
GML/Game Maker
- 35 (35.7%)
Java
- 6 (6.1%)
TGF/MMf
- 7 (7.1%)
VB
- 9 (9.2%)
other (Specify)
- 13 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Languages?  (Read 25152 times)

Re: Languages?
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2006, 01:21:50 pm »
hmm... so basically its better for the record to say "I know C++" rather than saying that about GML... Ic. Thanks for the tip ;)

Yea and if you can learn Assembly (what c++ is based on) your flying, its almost the lowest level of programming.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2006, 01:24:21 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Ok, lol. I'll try doing some. I'll get back to you once I can do some coding. Thanks ;)
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2006, 01:48:35 pm »
Ok, lol. I'll try doing some. I'll get back to you once I can do some coding. Thanks ;)

Assembly is very very had, i still dont get it at all, but im not going to give up, i want to be able to use it, would be usefull for potential jobs in the future to be able to say: "I can program in Assembly"
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2006, 04:02:11 pm »
  • The Broken King
you're right, assembly is a great language to know if you're going to do complex things (I don't know it myself either, but this is what I've heard from a guy in the game industry).
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2006, 04:38:25 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
So, once you know C++, you can start to learn assembly? Looks like I have alot of work to do...  :-\
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2006, 04:41:05 pm »
So, once you know C++, you can start to learn assembly? Looks like I have alot of work to do...  :-\

If i were you i would go straight to Assembly and skip c++ or c#, i made a similar mistake with gamemaker and purebasic, because c++ is object orientated, assembly isnt, it will take you forever to get your head around it if you dont because they two types of programmnig are so different, and assembly will help you to understand how object orientated programing works...
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2006, 04:47:43 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Ok, are there lots of tutorials on the net? With GML I basically figured it out myself, from editables and changing variables, but I think assembly is quite different. Do you have any good tutorial sites for assembly or C++?
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2006, 04:50:19 pm »
Ok, are there lots of tutorials on the net? With GML I basically figured it out myself, from editables and changing variables, but I think assembly is quite different. Do you have any good tutorial sites for assembly or C++?

I only wish that i did, this is why it takes so long to learn, because most people do not know it or wish to know it, therefore there arent many tutorials. My advice is to download Flat Assembler and to googel "fasm tutorials" and see what you get, either that or to find somebody else who already knows it and to ask them, im gonig with the ask somebody, as i have an elder brother who is half way through learning it.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 04:51:27 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Ok, that'll be really helpful. Thanks for thinking of me. ;)
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 07:20:21 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
You're all talking about C++ and object oriented programming, but why don't you just learn C? It's a common programming language, a lot more powerful than anyone could think, and it's not object oriented! Seriously, I'm much much happier learning C than I would be learning ASM. (I've skimmed a tutorial for ASM, I simply don't like the syntax and how the language works...)
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 08:11:10 pm »
You're all talking about C++ and object oriented programming, but why don't you just learn C? It's a common programming language, a lot more powerful than anyone could think, and it's not object oriented! Seriously, I'm much much happier learning C than I would be learning ASM. (I've skimmed a tutorial for ASM, I simply don't like the syntax and how the language works...)

I would have to agree, C wold be much easier to learn than ASM, but personally im not going for the ease of learning...
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 08:28:11 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
It's not only the ease but the practical side of the language, heck ASM is a language used to code things fast, but if you're making a real program, you'd do it in C. Meh I guess it depends on each and everyone of us. Although if Helios or aab come across this topic, they might shade some light on the discussion.

Drew

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006, 08:58:05 pm »
GML is a good way to start off, I was never meant for it, never good enough for anything in this world XD
I use it occasionally to experiment

OcarinaBoy

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2006, 09:14:08 pm »
i didn't used any, i have seen gml but it's not my good point...

i want to learn one of these others, like C++.

i know it's difficled but do someone have a link to a site that i can learn a easy launguage?
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2006, 10:38:32 pm »
i didn't used any, i have seen gml but it's not my good point...

i want to learn one of these others, like C++.

i know it's difficled but do someone have a link to a site that i can learn a easy launguage?

An excellent place to start is PureBasic! Once you have the basic idea it is SOOOO easy to learn, http://www.purebasic.com/. To get more than the demo it costs, so try out the demo first, but i can guarentee you, its definately worth it!
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2006, 11:21:01 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
GML is a good way to start off, I was never meant for it, never good enough for anything in this world XD
I use it occasionally to experiment
I learned GML first, now I am trying to learn eather C, C++, Or C#
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2006, 12:06:15 am »
  • The Broken King
learn c++, I know it has a lot of industry use (C is good too). I haven't heard much about when/where C# is used.
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2006, 12:11:08 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
I hear it isin't that useful and that its kind of something you should learn after you have learned something else... What I hear for Majora, about the objects... ermm... I dunno. I will probably just and learn C++.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2006, 02:36:35 am »
C++ grew from C, and changed a few things...before adding alot on.
Today C is however still used widely as a C-api is generally more compatible and esp. compiler compatible (exporting of C++ code to dynamic/shared libraries is a compiler specific thing, so eg: need a VC++ compiler if built in VC++, a MingW if built in MingW etc, wheras for C, there a standard (=> will be used everwhere) format for exporting functions).
C++'s object orientation is something you can appreciate the larger the programs you write become (though i'd encourage writing program after program, only just making the new one larger than the last). But for a while, it would mainly be C like structures youd be using, the syntax almost exact. (ie functions, eventually structs, typedefs and pointers and fucntion pointers). The main differences to be experienced are merely which libraries to use, and the operators new and delete. So for months , growing really from C into C++.

asm is a powerful language.
So is writing in machine code heh.
Its practically just a set of mnemonics for machine instructions, and was developed as the first way of abstracting the task of programming (prior to this only a mathematical genius could consider programming lol).
It is a valuable thing to learn, as it gives you certain understandings of things.
I think that to really grasp asm an understanding of the base electronics involved is needed: something which takes you just beyond high school physics anyway.
Otherwise, various things just wont make sense...Theyll seem like inappropriate thing to be done...but arent as they related directly to the hardwares required arrangement.
Asm isnt too commonly required, and even less nowadays.
Its very tedious to write portable code in asm.
Not just OS portable..processor portable...
Change from 32 bit to 64 bit processor, and you need, no not to recompile but to re-write your asm.
High level language compilers can also optimise code greatly, and even with specification to a processor (Pentium 4s especially: which introduced alot of changes in the relative execution times of various instructions to optimise their processor massively for particular tasks).
Asm's also pretty difficult to read...Takes time, and once someone writes something for a company in asm, there are so many less people for them to obtain if they later want to update it. Slow, expensive etc.
Compilers can produce optimisations that are computer mechanical, and beyond a humans observations. And with risc processors on things like consoles, theres no chance of programming asm for them (reduced instruction set is beyond humans understanding on optimal use)
Its a good thing to learn, even make some programs in.
But, not really a practical programming language for a world with....money.
Also remmember that one day you are going to die.
Would you rather have less done, with the satisfaction that it ran 2% faster? lol.
So...Learn asm....good to know.
But dont exclude higher level languages, as they are there for thier efficient reasons.
Anyway, You can learn asm step by step every once in a while, while learning something else. Alot of it is actually mechanically simple, making it hard to forget.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2006, 03:09:55 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
Mkay, I have decided I am going to learn C++, then C and C#, after I can do those good I will learn asm, ;)

Thanks Guys.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 80 queries.

anything