Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do-do-do-do-dooooo!  (Read 1861 times)

Mirby

Drifter
Do-do-do-do-dooooo!
« on: August 29, 2008, 06:19:31 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
    I'm sure we all know at least one famous track from a video game by heart. Whether it's the theme from Mario or the Final Fantasy victory jingle, these tracks can define a game, or even a game series. The hard work of various composers is what can create the mood for a game. A happy upbeat track, a mournful slow requiem, a slow creepy ambience, or even a driving rhythm; all these help set the feeling for an area in the game, and its thanks to the composers for this.

Some famous composers are Nobuo Uematsu, of Final Fantasy fame; Yoko Shimomura, who composed the tracks for the Kingdom Hearts series and some from Super Mario RPG; Tommy Tallarico, an American who has had his music in many games; Koji Kondo, who has created the epic tracks behind the likes of Zelda and Mario; and Motoi Sakuraba, who has composed for games such as Tales of Phantasia and Golden Sun.  But there are other, lesser-known composers. A few examples of these are Yasunori Mitsuda, who composed the soundtracks for the Chrono games; Dave Wise, who created the great tracks in the Donkey Kong Country games; and Koichi Sugiyama, the composer for the Dragon Quest games.

Along with these composers are ordinary people who "remix" video game music. One of the biggest sites for these "remixers" is OverClocked ReMix, located at ocremix.org. Founded by David W. Lloyd, also known as djpretzel in 2000, the site now boasts over 1700 remixes, and features a large community of members and remixers. Some of the remixers have even had their music in video games, such as Dain Olsen, or Beatdrop, in DDR, and Andrew Aversa, or zircon, in Super Street Fighter II HD.

Another such site is vgmix.com. While not as organized as OCR, it still boasts a ton of remixes. And some of OCR's remixers have tracks posted there. The Dwelling of Duels is also hosted at VGMix. You can find that at dod.vgmix.com. There is also a mirror for the older duels there too. There are some great tracks there too, in my humble opinion.

Video game music is something that can reach out and transform the ordinary into the extraordinary, the dark into the frightening, the bright into the happy. It is something that is a vital part of the game, and without it some parts of the game may be lost. Next time, part two of my video game music article, featuring an interview with some of OCR's finest. Until then, game on!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 06:28:51 pm by MetaKirby »

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 40 queries.