Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone see the movie The Fountain?  (Read 1482 times)

Anyone see the movie The Fountain?
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:24:58 am »
It's a really great film, although the reviews of the movie are pretty evenly split between people who hated it (most likely because they didn't understand it and the movie does not spell out all the answers) and people who loved it. I love the fact that the movie is very open ended, so there can be varied theories on what exactly went down. It also has some gorgeous visuals.
Re: Anyone see the movie The Fountain?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:43:03 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
I don't like this movie very much at all.  Hugh Jackman was miscast in the role.  He's a good actor, but was unconvincing in this movie. 

I like a lot of the concepts, but I don't think it works together all that well.  I felt it would have been a much more solid movie if the space bits (even though they were my favourite parts) had been cut out and more time was given to everything else.  I don't think it's nearly as meaningful as people seem to think it is.

Edit:  If you like The Fountain, I would recommend movies like The Double Life of Veronique and Last Year at Marienbad and it just so happens that the first two movies that came to my head are French...  Oh whatever.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:08:04 pm by Mitsu »

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:39:26 pm »
  • b e p i s
The fountain is far from being Aronofsky's best film, and it is definitely flawed. However, I still think it was a pretty underrated movie. At times it is pretentious, other times brilliant, but it is always interesting and really, really pretty. I liked it.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 12:04:58 am »
I've seen that in a lot of the criticism about the movie, that it's pretentious. What parts were pretentious?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:25:47 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
It's a style over substance type film and that's sometimes perceived as a pretentious aspect in and of itself.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:44:19 am »
I saw the trailer once

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 04:20:31 am »
  • b e p i s
I've seen that in a lot of the criticism about the movie, that it's pretentious. What parts were pretentious?

I found the story to not be concrete enough. I'm a writer, so trust me - I appreciate ambiguity. However, I think the film sometimes veered so far into ambiguous territory that it lost focus. That was the weakest element of the film to me, like Aronofsky didn't have the raw skill to capture this huge vision he had, and then got lost in his idea.

For all the film's ideas and visual flair, it still needs to tell a story. Which it does, but not as well as it could.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 05:05:09 am »
I see what you're saying, about the story and characters not being developed enough. Despite that, I still think it's one of the best movies I've seen. I can only imagine what the thing would've been like if a huge chunk of his budget wasn't cut. I actually enjoyed the fact that the story was undeveloped, it left it open to the viewer's interpretation of the rest of what's going on, especially what connects the present and future stories.

My idea after seeing it was
Show content
that in the present Tom continued his research and eventually discovered eternal life, which he used on himself. Then he waited until technology was advanced enough, and then he took his futuristic bubble spaceship with the tree his wife is buried under and set off for Xibalba, the place the Mayans and Izzy believed souls go when they die. He waited hundreds of years and eventually set off through space to be with her. I saw it as kind of the ultimate love story, so the actual development of the story was less important to me than the concept.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 54 queries.