Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Completed] Dungeon Hero v9  (Read 6444 times)

[Completed] Dungeon Hero v9
« on: February 11, 2010, 02:38:59 am »
AcAnimate Game Contest Winner! Their site: http://www.acanimate.com/community/

Subscribe to my Twitter for news on updates: http://twitter.com/runbeanyrun

My site is here: http://runbeanyrun.110mb.com/

Link to the game: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/114420-dungeon-hero

You must download the game in order to get the dungeonhero.exe and the vex.exe. Place both files in the same folder after extracting from the zip.

Use the Arrow Keys to move around, and the SpaceBar to use your sword. Kill all the monsters in the room, and then ride the mine cart to the next one. If you run out of Hearts, it's game over and you save your highscore.

The new survival mode is an endless swarm of spawning zombies. The spawning gets faster.

USE SHIFT TO SWITCH WEAPONS FROM SWORD TO BOMB!

V5 Update is complete. V6 will include new enemies for the normal game mode, and some secrets
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:31:39 am by 4Sword »
Re: Dungeon Hero (now with online highscores!)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:26:22 am »
Awesome, a game that won a contest that had two games in it.

Sorry, that sounded rude.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 04:35:20 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
o.o for such a small forum it sure does have a lot of boards.

Anywho; I'll check this out later. Looks pretty nifty.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:30:25 pm »
Awesome, a game that won a contest that had two games in it.

Yeah, it's not exactly something to brag about, but when you've won yourself a title, you use it as much as you can to attract attention to it. When you clicked on Acanimate's forum, you didn't know there'd be only two games in that contest, did you? But I got you to click didn't I?

Hooray for misleading promotion!  XD

Anywho; I'll check this out later. Looks pretty nifty.

Thanks, but I'll be updating soon, so check for when a new update is out.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:32:11 pm »
  • Xiphirx
I love how you used BMP's for all of your site images.
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 05:12:49 am »
Update V6 is now out! It includes glitch fixes (wall glitch, smoke glitch, bomb activation glitch), new enemies called Golems that can only be killed with bombs, two new rooms, and music from Zelda Reorchastrated (temporary).

Thanks, for a free hosted site, mine doesn't actually look all that bad. Having zero adds sorta helps too.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:16:11 am »
  • Minalien

Thanks, for a free hosted site, mine doesn't actually look all that bad. Having zero adds sorta helps too.
He was being sarcastic. Why in hell's name would you use Bitmap images on your website? Not only do they not support transparency in the least, and have a limited palette, but they're overly large.

I recommend switching any bitmap images you use to PNGs. Also, no, I didn't check out your site.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:47:39 am »
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that 3 out of 4 of my replys would be either rude of sarcastic. However, I did expect the replys to be about the actual topic (my game) and not my site (which I barely mention. I guess this forums turning out to be a big dissapointment.

I use BMaps for the exact reason you said, they're big. And for gods sake people, I want them big, NOT small. Transparancy, don't care, limited palette, it seems colorful to me. I don't even understand how someone could have a "perfered" image file. I'd just go with whatever makes a picture.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:56:13 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that 3 out of 4 of my replies would be either rude or sarcastic. However, I did expect the replies to be about the actual topic (my game) and not my site (which I barely mention. I guess this forums turning out to be a big disappointment.

First, I apologize, runbeanyrun. Some of us at ZFGC can be a little harsh at times. If you dig deep enough (through the insults and heavy sarcasm), usually there is some good criticism to learn from though. However, personally, I do not agree with the way some people criticize on here.

I use Bitmaps for the exact reason you said, they're big. And for gods sake people, I want them big, NOT small. Transparency, don't care, limited palette, it seems colorful to me. I don't even understand how someone could have a "preferred" image file. I'd just go with whatever makes a picture.

Actually, MiNalien meant that bitmaps take up lots of "space", like space on the hard drive. Also, "PNG" stands for "Portable Network Graphic" and it's basically more efficient in saving images of great quality of the same dimensions (size) while still taking up very little hard drive space.
The same picture, if saved as a PNG, will take up less space and will load MUCH faster, but it will look exactly the same. Also, it helps with bandwidth issues and it will increase the speed of your website overall. Bottom line: It would only benefit your site to save your BMP's as PNG's.

That's the reason why MiNalien recommended that to you, though a bit harshly, probably because he expects everyone to know the difference between PNG's and BMP's. Most people I know do know the difference, but the fact is it really isn't common knowledge. Also, MiNalien is just a very "blunt" person. It is just his way, so please try to overlook it like the rest of us. He usually has some great thoughts under the harsh words.

NOW, hopefully with that all out of the way, GETTING BACK ON TOPIC:
I have just played the game and scored 24, I think. I put my name as "Edge" because that is my game name.
Anyway, it reminds me of some of the good old days when I first really started to get in to programming. Btw, how long have you been making games?
My biggest issue with the game was the movement of the player; it felt a little sticky/stiff, like I couldn't control it the way it should be done. My earlier games had this problem as well. What I did like was the fact that I could see your creativity and imagination flowing out of it and it reminded me of my older games. Epic. Thanks, I enjoyed it, though it is not a keeper IMO. I say, keep making games and keep learning and growing as a programmer/game developer!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:59:22 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:18:48 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
I thought it was kinda fun, interesting at least.  It would be a carpton better if you added diagonal movement and made the character just a smidge faster.  One small gripe I have is the magical laser thingy you get... it seems to kill enemies without being anywhere near them... I didn't understand :P
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:31:49 pm »
FrozenFire

Wow, not everyone sucks here. Thank you for clarifying what makes PNG better, as I'll probably follow your advice and change them. MiNalien failed to do this,and I just got confused with things, as I just place down whatever has an image on it.

To answer your question, I have been programming for about 2 years now. And could you tell me how it feels sticky to move, because I'm not seeing anything. Is it the no diagonal movement? Anyway, thanks for your input.

Mitsu

Yeah, I'll up the characters speed, there's no problem with that. And I'll probably add diagonal movement, because I get a feeling it's bothering some people. As for the laser thing (wand), its supposed to do that. It fries enemies that the ball gets close to. Thanks for playing!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 08:58:55 pm »
Hmm, I played the game and I mostly agree with what Mitsu said. but I have something else to add as well. The enemies seem to have a fast speed compared to the hero's speed, especially those winged eyeballs. Also after swinging your sword in one direction you can't move for half a second it seems. This makes those enemies even more annoying, because they can attack you diagonally, but you can't defend/attack diagonal. This makes it even more difficult to get to those moving mice, because the hero moves slower or at equal speed as them.

When getting out of the cart 80% of the enemies gang up on you with a crazy speed, thus I found it wise to rapidly press the spacebar, which is not really skill.

I hope you can work with this input to make the game better.

PS: Min can be a big ass jerk, with anger issues. But most of the time he has a point which he does not always present well. My internet seems to clog up often, thus having to download bmp of huge filesize is quiet annoying.

You said you didn't want any criticism on your website, but more aimed at your game. Unfortunately it is how your game is presented that gives a first impression and is a big influence on how people experience it. Thus when you have a website it does matter how well the website is.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 09:35:57 pm »
Niek

Well that settles that, I'll add diagonal movement in the update after my next one (my next ones pretty much done). And I'll boost the characters speed by a bit, and drop the speed of the randomly moving enemies (mice, wizard,etc)

80% is a bit untrue, as the only enemies that can gang up on you are the eyes. Everything else moves in random patterns. The eyes are designed as snipers, and your supposed to hit them as soon as you exit the cart. Their only a threat if you're surprised by them.

Thank you, your input is appreciated.

Also, I never said that I didn't want any comments about my site, I was just pissed off that EVERY comment was about my site. Feel free to give me your views on the site, just make sure you talk about the topic as well.

I finished changing all the BMP's to PNG's. Thanks FrozenFire, they are faster to load, and take up a hell of a lot less space
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:16:03 pm by runbeanyrun »
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 10:58:41 pm »
Your site looks really nice. My only gripe is the lenghty side bar you have. The lenght of the side bar should not be longer than the part with the main content of the page. And definitely not for the frontpage. With your page the side bar is incredibly long and only a few pages that actually exceed the length of the sidebar. Well there are two exceptions. The first if you have a lot of useless ads from google. And second is if it becomes that lengthy due to a large sitemap that requires easy navigation. Your sidebar is a small part navigation and for the rest news items, which is kind of ugly. My suggestion is to make those news items a part of the main content on the frontpage, where they are also better visible.

For the rest your site looks really nice. I definitely like the graphics. Good work.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 11:21:50 pm »
Thanks Niek! I shortened the side bar News, and allowed it so the newest 4 would show, and the rest would be archived. If you get any other ideas, please let me know.

I have finished my Dungeon Hero update (remember....it's what the topic about....whatever), and I'm uploading it to the ZFGC, and a lot other places. This update includes:

1. A new Secrets Area
2. A new unlockable weapon for Survival Mode
3. An Unlimited Magic Power cheat, that must be unlocked.
4. Speed changes to the Hero and the random walking enemies.
4. Lot's of glitch fixes.

My next update will include:

1. Diagonal Movement
2. A new wand choice, called the Thunder Staff
3. A new weapon for both regular and survival mode, called the Mallet
4. Credits (besides what in the corner on the Main Menu)

Thanks everyone, I haven't gotten feedback like this on any other site.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:39:37 pm by runbeanyrun »
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 11:39:22 pm »
Mitsu is number one... yay.  I couldn't really figure out how to kill those big troll things.  I got one with the wand but then it was out of charges and the sword seemed to do nothing so eventually I just ran into it and it disappeared, along with one of my hearts :(

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 11:45:55 pm »
Your in for a treat. If you had read my first post on the topic very well (it's ok if you missed it), if you press SHIFT, you can switch weapons. Try that out. I'll make this more obvious in my next update.

Miragos

ᚺᚨᛚᛁᚨ᛫ᚹᛁᛊᚨᛞᚨᚢ᛫ᛟᚱᛁᚾᛁᛋ᛫ᚷᚨᛊᛏᛋ
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 05:38:38 am »
  • 地獄に儚く惑った
I did read your post. So Mitsu has just the 2nd highest score. ;)

I really like your game.
It uses very simple graphics and simple programming, but I enjoyed playing it.

However you can improve it a lot. Especially the survival mode. I think you could add more enemies to it, because it gets boring.

Furthermore I really disliked the solid HUD in the standard game. Maybe you could make it transparent.

But in my opinion it's really not bad.
It's like one of those old Arcade games. ;)
Current project: Vortex of Height
Spriter of: Oracle of Mystery
               The Mask of Sheikah
  • Miragos Project Site
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 08:55:32 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
FrozenFire
To answer your question, I have been programming for about 2 years now. And could you tell me how it feels sticky to move, because I'm not seeing anything. Is it the no diagonal movement? Anyway, thanks for your input.

Well, I think I'm a little late, but yes, having diagonal movement was probably what was lacking, but now it looks like you've decided to add it, or you already have (I haven't played the newest version yet, so I don't know).

Anyway, it's always great to see someone on here that starts and completes their games. I can tell that you've got what it takes to be a great programmer. Just keep on pushing yourself to learn new things, and keep making epic stuff. ;)

Also, I'll try to get around to playing the newest demo soon.
  • My Music
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 11:51:46 am »
I just now played and got 218 points but I'm not sure it showed up on the scoreboard 'cause I got some sorta error message.  Honestly, I could've gone on forever but I got bored with it and let the enemies kill me.  It is fun until right after the first room with the five big troll guys.  After that there are no more difficulty increases and nothing new is added to the game.  It gets boring fairly quickly.  You should add some new enemies or a new weapon or something to maintain interest.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.594 seconds with 77 queries.