Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Square-Enix orders cease and desist for non-profit Chrono fan games  (Read 4380 times)

Square-Enix orders cease and desist for non-prof...
« on: May 10, 2009, 02:03:16 pm »
www.chronocompendium.com
www.crimsonechoes.com
Destructoid
Digg

Probably not of large concern to most of you here, but I just thought it says a lot in general about the ass-backwards way that some companies treat their fans.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:48:42 pm by Nabeshin »

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: Square-Enix orders cease and desist for non-...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:32:50 pm »
God forbid they ever find us.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 04:00:54 pm »
  • b e p i s
Yet another reason why Square-Enix is one of the worst companies in gaming today. Actually...it was about this time in 2005 that the Chrono Trigger Remake Project (which I was the lead level designer for) got shut down. Coincidence?
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:10:22 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yet another reason why Square-Enix is one of the worst companies in gaming today. Actually...it was about this time in 2005 that the Chrono Trigger Remake Project (which I was the lead level designer for) got shut down. Coincidence?

And CT:R, which I was the voice of magus for D:

But; I see nothing wrong with them wanting to protect their IPs. They don't come up with an idea that belongs to everyone; but rather an idea that they share exclusively with people who purchase it :P

Just remember the quote of the bad guy in Iron Man-

"You think just because you have an idea that it belongs to you?" *proceeds to rip out his pacemaker in an attempt to both kill him and steal his technology*

>=^(
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:15:01 pm by Mamoruanime »

Jeod

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 05:16:24 pm »
One day the fan gaming community will conquer the big business bullies.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 05:23:07 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yup, and when that day comes you'll have no more games to make fan games out of because the companies you take for granted are no longer in business. You'll just have shitty old games from the early to mid 90s to constantly try to remake and fail on. Gaming will die out because of the lack of new IPs.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 05:27:28 pm »
  • b e p i s
Yup, and when that day comes you'll have no more games to make fan games out of because the companies you take for granted are no longer in business. You'll just have shitty old games from the early to mid 90s to constantly try to remake and fail on. Gaming will die out because of the lack of new IPs.

Careful, your slippery-slope is showing.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Jeod

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 05:28:08 pm »

Indie games. And you don't think we could come up with good stuff? *Looks at Shadowgazer* Yeah, the fan game community sucks at making good storylines and games.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 05:30:38 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Nah, it's just incredibly stupid to think that games should be free for everyone to do whatever they want with.

Square Enix would not mind if you modded your cart; but what you're modding is a copyrighted copy of the game; meaning you illegally obtained it to begin with. They are fighting against the piracy of their IPs. Why is that so wrong? I'm not saying I'm happy with it; I'm just saying you shouldn't hate them for protecting their !@#$%.

Just because the mod is *non profit* doesn't mean the company is. The company made the game to make money. That's what they all do.

Jeod- you have no clue what you're talking about. Indie games would either A) go nowhere, or B) become those big companies you hate so much. Your mentality kills gaming because you don't understand it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:32:12 pm by Mamoruanime »

Jeod

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 05:31:50 pm »
I might've misunderstood what you were saying, then.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 07:04:53 pm »
XFD pwned

suck it chrono trigger fans.

funny how they put a release date after they get stopped

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 01:07:37 am »
To be honest though, Square didn't seem this tight-ass until the Square - Enix "merger".
Also, since Hironobu Sakaguchi left, seems more !@#$% games come out.

I'm sorry, I loved Chrono Trigger, but for God's Sakes, the game was what? 12 years old?

Dear Square,
 Instead of crying over dedicated fans modifing a 12 year old rom, you actually go out and make an ORIGINAL CT game instead of rehashing it for new systems.  Oh, that's right, you got bought by Enix.  Dumbasses.

/rant

This is why i still love Nintendo to this day for the most part on how they deal with fans.
You guys know that this site is probably pruned by Nintendo about once a month if not more, and yet they let it continue.

Why alienate your fans?

Oh, yeah (here comes another short rant), that's right, Square now has been quoted as making games that only their staff really enjoys playing, not what the fans would like to see.

lol

Mark my words, as soon as Square-Enix takes a !@#$% hole dive here comes the biggest announcement since white bread: OMGzers, we have decided to remake FF7 for PS(insert number here).

Then dumbass fanboys around the globe(don't feel bad, I used to be one of them) will support Square.

/giant rant that went off-topic

Sorry.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 01:21:22 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
To be honest though, Square didn't seem this tight-ass until the Square - Enix "merger".
Also, since Hironobu Sakaguchi left, seems more !@#$% games come out.

I'm sorry, I loved Chrono Trigger, but for God's Sakes, the game was what? 12 years old?

Dear Square,
 Instead of crying over dedicated fans modifing a 12 year old rom, you actually go out and make an ORIGINAL CT game instead of rehashing it for new systems.  Oh, that's right, you got bought by Enix.  Dumbasses.

/rant

This is why i still love Nintendo to this day for the most part on how they deal with fans.
You guys know that this site is probably pruned by Nintendo about once a month if not more, and yet they let it continue.

Why alienate your fans?

Oh, yeah (here comes another short rant), that's right, Square now has been quoted as making games that only their staff really enjoys playing, not what the fans would like to see.

lol

Mark my words, as soon as Square-Enix takes a !@#$% hole dive here comes the biggest announcement since white bread: OMGzers, we have decided to remake FF7 for PS(insert number here).

Then dumbass fanboys around the globe(don't feel bad, I used to be one of them) will support Square.

/giant rant that went off-topic

Sorry.

They've been like this more-so after being financially devastated and damned near chapter 11. <_<;;
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 01:27:32 am »
Blame the shitty FF:SW movie.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 01:29:15 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

That.. had nothing to do with it <_<;; In fact; it wasn't even *made* by Square to begin with. It was a story made in the US that got slapped with the FF brand.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 01:33:47 am »

That.. had nothing to do with it <_<;; In fact; it wasn't even *made* by Square to begin with. It was a story made in the US that got slapped with the FF brand.
"The story for the film was written by director Hironobu Sakaguchi."

lol huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy:_The_Spirits_Within

It was modified but still written by Sakaguchi -.-
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 01:37:54 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
*didn't mean to say "Story" made in the US*

It was produced by another company entirely; Square's financial situation has nothing to do with that movie. That movie never affected the companies wellbeing in any way other than discouraging them from making more films.
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 01:41:45 am »
In any case, I still think they suck for always hitting someone with a cease letter.
Kinda bogue.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 03:16:40 am »
Like i said

"suck it chrono trigger fans"

you have to realize, eventually any fan game related to CT will get shut down.

How many !@#$% SMW heck videos run rampant on youtube? How many zelda fan games are around the net.

Come on nintendo, get like Squeenix and shut them all down. Also, i heard that reggie talked about the mother 3 translation that was made i think, can someone give me a link of reggie mentioning it?

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 02:42:04 pm »
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1552624/20070215/index.jhtml

[Mother 3] has such a strong online following that a group of committed fans have vowed to produce their own translated version of the game if Nintendo won't. Fils-Aime has never played the game, but he knows about the translation project.

@ Topic:  It's just.. ridiculous.  The Chrono fanbase wasn't well off to begin with, but this C&D has motivated four major fangame projects, not just the one romhack, to quit entirely or change to original ips.  For a community that needs whatever new content they can get, this is essentially getting cut off at the knees.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 74 queries.

anything