Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help troubleshooting Oracle of Ages  (Read 1983 times)

I need help troubleshooting Oracle of Ages
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:03:29 pm »
My Oracle of Ages cartridge is malfunctioning. It won't load the game. I cleaned the contacts, which got it to load the Nintendo vanity plate without glitching, but it won't load anything after that. The circuit board looks fine as far as I can tell, but I'm no expert. Can anyone help me?

If you're wondering about the I'm Sorry, that's aimed at TFW2005, for all the good it does.

Collided Worlds on indefinite hiatus due to being in need of heavy rewrites. I am instead working on some smaller crossovers, such as a My Little Pony and Power Rangers crossover.

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums
Re: I need help troubleshooting Oracle of Ages
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:37:59 pm »
Might need a new battery
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:27:38 pm »
Well that's just great. If that's the case then my save file's toast isn't it?

If you're wondering about the I'm Sorry, that's aimed at TFW2005, for all the good it does.

Collided Worlds on indefinite hiatus due to being in need of heavy rewrites. I am instead working on some smaller crossovers, such as a My Little Pony and Power Rangers crossover.

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 05:39:36 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I don't think the battery provides any functionality other than the save feature (and an internal clock in some games).  Damage to the EEPROM mayve?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:06:54 am »
How would I be able to tell if there was? Would there be any sign on the circuit board if that was the case?

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:13:10 pm »
As noted, it's very likely that rather than the battery. It's unlikely to be a visible problem, although it could be. But if other cartridges work in your Game Boy, then at least you know the problem is the cartridge itself.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:51:44 pm »
Yeah, it's the cartridge. Seasons and Link's Awakening both work fine.

Well, crud. Now I find myself wishing it was the battery, because I can replace the battery. Does anyone know how to fix it if it's the EEPROM?

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums

thestig

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 10:14:46 pm »
Yeah, it's the cartridge. Seasons and Link's Awakening both work fine.

Well, crud. Now I find myself wishing it was the battery, because I can replace the battery. Does anyone know how to fix it if it's the EEPROM?
First look up the type of EEPROM used or find the access timings on it. When you burn it, that'll be important to keep in mind otherwise you're gonna run into odd problems again. You know what though, your save file could still be the problem as it could be corrupted which is causing the game to crash after the vanity plate. Reason why I think this is because, the gameboy BIOS does a security check and if your EEPROM truly was the problem, then it wouldn't get passed the vanity plate. It would show garbled text or just hang at the vanity plate.

However, I could be wrong and perhaps the part of the program that handles the security check still passes. Though it would be unlikely.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:01:57 pm »
Where would I look this stuff up?

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums

thestig

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 11:06:14 am »
Where would I look this stuff up?
Get the ID numbers that are on the EEPROM chip, then google.

To be honest, you're gonna have to buy an EEPROM programmer in addition to the EEPROM chip itself. Not only that, but you're gonna need soldering iron as well. You might be paying a range from $15-25 for the repair. Might be just cheaper to get a new cart. ;p
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 59 queries.