Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Screenshots] Legend of Zelda : Quest of Courage (Zelda II rework)  (Read 13734 times)

[Screenshots] Legend of Zelda : Quest of Courage...
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:26:49 pm »
Legend of Zelda
Quest of Courage

NOTE: Much of what you see contains placeholders/mixing styles.

Story:
After Ganon was destroyed, Impa told Link that a sleeping spell was caste on Princess Zelda.  She will awaken only with the power of the Triforce of Courage which is sealed in a palace in Hyrule.  To break the seal, crystals must be placed into statues that are hidden in well guarded palaces.  Link must set out on his most adventuresome quest yet...

Videos:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwuXWeX1mw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwuXWeX1mw</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTlJ8i8cpaQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTlJ8i8cpaQ</a>

Screenshots:

THIS IS ALL OLD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Show content
Video:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5swGW-mlaPU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5swGW-mlaPU</a>
Screenshots: (Entire current album at this link: http://imgur.com/a/UTnJx )

Current Overworld:
http://i.imgur.com/OdJwcgFh.jpg

This project originally started as a mapping project a couple years ago.  I have started and stopped repeatedly due to various reasons.  Recently, I lost my connection to the internet so I thought it would be the best time to focus on mapping out Zelda II to a more traditional format.

Unfortunately, my programming curiosity got the better of me and I found myself quickly opening Game Maker to see this new overworld in a live game environment.  Then I started adding collisions, one monster, then healthbars and magic bars, realtime weather changes...soon, I had much more than just a "let's see how this looks" executable.

Right now, the game features: file creation, room transitions, Zelda's Palace(more like a house with a basement :3), five working enemy types, collisions, textbox and npcs, weather effects(rain and lightning, sandstorm), real-time overworld(no area scrolling to change tiles/music like LttP, everything is seamless), working enemy random location spawners,and Parappa Palace completely tiled as well as the overworld.

Note:  I know that there are tiling errors here and there.  Right now, my focus is on adding as much as possible to the game before cleaning up some tiles.  To be honest, the entire project will probably get an overhaul before release if I have the resources to do so.  It would be overhauled to be more like LttP in control and graphics than this LA-LTTP style.

Credits:
vgmusic.com for arrangements(very useful for making my own versions)
the LA-LTTP group(the tilesets are awesome for what I needed at this time and I edited the Link sprite :3)
Alexander Landgren for a sprite(taken from his public photobucket,  I no longer have the link, however he was redoing all the sprites and artwork from ZELDA II into 16-bit for a Zelda II remake)
Goodnight for movement engine(why fix what isn't really broke :) )
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:58:21 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mirby

Drifter
Re: [Screenshots] Legend of Zelda : Quest of Cou...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:11:05 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
oooh lookin' good!

any chance we could get a bigger version of the map? i'd like to be able to zoom in for detail, ya know?

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:42:37 am »
Ask and ye shall receive!

http://i.imgur.com/sLmPQCr.jpg

Be warned, however, that the current map in-game does not reflect this one I uploaded.  Just haven't taken the time yet to as I want the overworld more detailed before I swap out the current one.  Just stuff like adding more varied tiles to the mountains and some open areas.

Some of the towns need churches and whatnot, but that'll probably come much later when I have some time to try to sprite it out.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:50:09 am »
Figured I would let you guys see all of Level 1 as a map.  Check attachments.

Subject to change once this shits to a different style, but the floorplan will probably stay this simplified.  The game's emphasis is combat, not problem solving per Zelda II.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:51:30 am »
Was wondering what you guys think of my redesign.  It uses Seiken Densetsu 3 tiles.  I really like the style and feel it would fit a more combat oriented Zelda game.  The idea is to get some 16x32 or similar Link and NPCs styled in the same way.  Anyway, check the attachment.

That's just a little teaser for now.  I still need to add the temple or whatever I decide for where Zelda is.  Just looking for some feedback.

• Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:57:08 pm »
It is a nice style, but then the Seiken Densetu games were very good games.
But it might be hard to make your npc's and link in the same style. This style has a lot more details to it.
LA-LTTP has a lot of recources available for it, using this style will get you a lot more work.
Still, I do like how the starting are of the map looks.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:16:16 pm »
Still no programming updates.  Instead, I decided to refocus my efforts into a full game deign document.  At first, I was partially winging it(bad habit of mine xD) as I was programming.  I just added stuff as I needed to into overhead from side scrolling.

I felt it would go much smoother to have a full game design document with all my ideas into one file instead of hand written notes scattered through out my room and car(yeah, I write down my ideas whenever I have one).  I actually have a lot of AI ideas written all over on paper, so I need to sort those and such into the document.

As I have been writing the document, I am also getting more solid ideas of turning Zelda II into a traditional Zelda game.  Spells have been removed(sorry if this bothers you).  I found as I typed out scenarios that spells just wouldn't fit properly into the remake.

Instead, items are introduced. Items already set in stone: Eternal Lantern(used in caves similar to LttP and to light torches), Bombs, Hookshot, Power Gloves, and at least one empty bottle.

Also, the original background story has been rewritten to seem more Zelda-ish and not Hammer Horror Films Dracula where the blood of someone is needed to revive the bad guy.  I have emphasized the need to revive/awaken the original Princess Zelda so that she can re-strengthen a failing seal that holds the power/magic that can revive Ganon.  The original story just says that Ganon's minions are constantly trying to kill Link for his blood to revive Ganon...sounds lame to me for a Zelda game. 

The story will be revealed to the player in a similar fashion as the Maidens did in Link to the Past after Link rescues each one.  When the player places a crystal in a statue, a vision of appears to Link of either Princess Zelda(the original) or of her brother, the Prince, that regrettably got her placed into eternal sleep because of his greed for the Triforce of Courage(I am leaning more for that).

Anyway, massive wall of text is over.  Hope you like some of the changes to the story and presentation.  If you have a suggestion, feel free to leave it here.  I will probably be near finished with the first draft of the design document tonight(unemployment has one advantage :P ).

Version 1 is over half-way finished.
Here are the stats:
Pages      23
Words       6117
Characters (no spaces)   27599
Characters (with spaces)  33643

If you wish to read it and leave comments on the actual document for me in Google Docs, send me a PM here on ZFGC with your gmail address for an invite.  You agree to read only and not copy anything from it.  :P  There is some originality in there.  xD

Maybe I should write a novel.  23 pages in 5 hours of interrupted typing(food and Dragon Ball Z).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:40:46 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!

AJAX

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:34:59 pm »
A focus on design is always good. Certainly, you should spend some time figuring out what your approach on the programming-end of things will be.

My only question regarding the story is, why not extend what ALTTP did instead of emulating what they did? Four Sword Adventures did this to some extent and pulled it off nicely.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 07:30:39 pm »
Well, here's what is set in stone thus far:
-all scenarios from new game to epilogue
-all spells removed from the game(deal with it :P)
-10 usable items replace the spells
-5 sub quest items
-all 7 visions
-8 dungeons(new mini dungeon added to get the Magic Key)
-Day to Night cycles(already was programming into the old version of QoC, just never shown)[not just some black overlay either]
-control scheme
-Leveling Up(level up system is more akin to the FDS Zelda II rather than the NES Zelda II, google it)

Items both usable and sub quest in order of appearance in game:
Eternal Lantern
Bombs
Hookshot
Mirror
Empty Bottle
Power Gloves
Ancient Hammer
Water of Life(becomes another empty bottle)
Cane of Somaria
Magic Raft
Fire Rod
Mirror Shield
Pegasus Boots
Flute
Mystic Branch
Cross of Truth
Thunder Medallion

Since the items replace various spells, I tried to give them original Zelda or Zelda-esc names: 
"Fire Rod"  replaces the "Fire" spell
"Thunder Medallion" replaces the "Thunder" spell
"Cross of Truth" replaces "Cross"
"Pegasus Boots" replaces "Winged Boots"
"Mirror Shield" replaces the "Reflect" spell
"Hookshot" replaces the "Jump" spell(and innate ability to jump from Zelda II)
and so on.

The scenarios are written in a very linear but natural fashion.  Zelda II is perhaps the second most linear Zelda game I have ever played, the first being Minish Cap.  As I was writing the scenarios, I realized that the linearity had to be kept, but needed to seem like it was natural.  I think I have accomplished that very nicely.  I made it more linear than it originally was, but their is still a sense of open-ended-ness if you explore without going through the motions.

Spoilers below
Show content
New linear plot:
Cannot leave starting area - Northwest Hyrule - until Parapa Temple(yes, I called them by the original "temple" word...stupid Nintendo of NA censored that word)is beaten.
Cannot enter Death Mountain(remember Bagu from Zelda II to get the bridge to appear?) until you have the Power Gloves.
Like Zelda II, you still need the raft to go to the other continent.

Once you are in the new continent, the progression opens up quite a bit, though the recommended path will be presented to the player.
Maze Island Temple will be accessible right away but a miniquest should be completed first to get the necessary Mirror Shield for the dungeon.
In order to reach the Temple on the Sea, the Pegasus Boots are required from the Maze Island Temple.
Obviously you get the Flute from the Temple on the Sea which is necessary for the River Demon and Three-Rock Temple.
The Cross of Truth is semi-necessary but makes the Valley of Death gauntlet run much much easier.
Magic Key is mandatory and has its own mini-dungeon.
Thunder Medallion is necessary for the final boss before the showdown with Shadow Link.

Final showdown with Shadow Link is near complete as far as how the battle will progress:
Link will fight shadows of previous bosses from Legend of Zelda(Zelda I) in a very similar fashion to the Nightmares on Link's Awakening.  Once all the shadows are beaten, a voice calls out(the old man guarding the Triforce of Courage) giving commendation to Link for facing his fears and nightmares he received as a child(reference to Legend of Zelda since Link was a child during those events as dictated by Nintendo) but he must face his greatest fear of all and prove his courage.  The voice fades away, the room goes completely dark, and the red eyes of Shadow Link appear from under Link.

The final battle would be kinda a combination of Zelda II Shadow Link battle and the final battle with Ganon in LttP.
Torches must be lit to expose Shadow Link, else the player will just keep getting hurt.  Different that the Ganon fight in LttP, the light won't stun Shadow Link, just present him as a target.  As the fight progresses, Shadow Link increases his aggressiveness and begins to leave himself open to more attacks from Link, but also throws out more attacks himself.

As far as level progression is concerned, I think I came up with a nice idea(it's going into the game :P).  Instead of numbers shown on the HUD for levels of attack,life, and magic, here is what happens:
All stats can be seen in the menu at any time, however, how they are shown is different.

"Life" is replaced with the tunic icon.  As you gain levels, your tunic will change colors from green to blue to red(Link is supposed to have mgaic equipment when he starts his journey per the original manual).  This represents an in-game/off menu presentation of how advanced your defense is with the Red Tunic being the final level.  In the menu, it will be the tunic icon and a number beside it.

"Magic" is simply replaced by increasing the magic bar.  No more hunting down damned Magic Vials.  As you level up your Magic stat, your magic bar increases.  Since there are no spells, each item that requires magic will use a static amount.  To combat this, you will need to increase your magic maximum by leveling your Magic stat.  The word "Magic" and a number representing it will be shown in the menu.

"Attack" will be replaced by a sword icon.  In a very similar fashion to the tunic, as you gain levels in attack, your sword will evolve(it is a "magic sword" per the original manual).  Nothing fancy, just changes in color like LttP.

Heart Pieces:
-You increase your life bar by finding heart pieces.  Unlike regular Zelda games, each piece increases your health by 2 and each container increase by 8.
-Each of the six bosses drops a full container that is 6 x 8 = 48
-Starting life bar is 24 so max amount with only bosses is 48+24 =72
-at this time, 96 is the maximum determined health, thus , 12 heart pieces are scattered through out Hyrule

96 health might seem low as it represents 12 hearts if compared to regular Zelda games(A heart = 8 life or 1 bar).
However, due to the nature of leveling your defense, many enemies will eventually only do 1 point of damage.

Another wall of text...Just severely paraphrasing what is in the design document.  The design document is much more professionally laid out and easy to follow.  Take note that everything in the document is not here in this post.  26+ pages is alot to paraphrase.

:3

• Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 06:30:14 pm »
This might as well be The Legend of Zelda II: Adventures of Link Re-imagined and Remastered.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 07:59:39 pm »
This might as well be The Legend of Zelda II: Adventures of Link Re-imagined and Remastered.

It is.  :P
Reusing the title is too cliche, especially when the entire game is being changed from presentation, story, gameplay, music, etc.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:57 am »
Small update:
Day/Night Engine is done and looks great!

It basically works on controller object that is updated and drawn via state:
state = "day"
{
     do nothing except set image alpha 0(I used the built in image_alpha to store a value for draw_set_alpha)
}
state "sunset"
{
     //First in step event, right when sunset starts, variable color is set to c_red or (255,0,0)
     colorR = color_get_red(color);colorB = color_get_blue(color);colorG = color_get_green(color);
     image alpha += .001 until .333
     draw_set_color(color)
     draw_rectangleover the view/screen(covers everything but HUD,Menus,Textbox)
}
state "night"
{
     if the RGB (colorR,colorB,colorG) values of color do not equal "dark purple(my own RGB)
     colorR/colorB/colorG increase or decrease on where they need to be to get to dark purple
     color = make_color_rgb(colorR,colorG,colorB);
     draw_set_color(color)
     once dark purple is reached we increase the image_alpha to .5 to "darken" the world a little bit more
}
state "morning"
{
    same as "night" but we change the color to shift towards white while decreasing image_alpha
}

I don't want the cycle to be too fast.  A full day in Quest of Courage is 48 minutes.  That is two minutes per in-game hour.  Everything is handled via two globals:  global.Time_of_day(string) and global.Time(integer).  Every second, Time is increased by 1.  2880 seconds are in 48minutes so I kept the code on the lowest tier of time for simplicity.

Very pseudo-esc code above, however, my code works great and the effect looks much more natural than a lousy black overlay getting drawn over everything.  Total darkness only happens with no moonlight/cloudy night.  I won't be going THAT deep into a Day/Night system.  xD  I chose to just emulate a moonlight night for gameplay and graphics reasons instead of going pure black.

I have much of the needed frames of the Male Hero from Sword of Mana ripped now.  All that is needed is for me to put some work into editing them into my Link style as seen in the graphics section of ZFGC.

Other than that, everything is going pretty smoothly as far as coding is concerned.  I actually have two versions in progress: SoM style and LttP style.  Just waiting until I finally decide which one I like the best.  :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:56:28 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:02:17 am »
Update:

Been working on various things in the new engine that is using Mana style graphics.
Screenshots are in the attachments.

Hookshot is near finished.  All that is left to program is attaching onto something.  My code is already setup to just plop some code into Link's state manager and it'll work.  I am still using place holders of the Hero Male from Sword of Mana.  My spriting abilties are well...bad.

Also, I figured I would include some screenshots of the DAY/NIGHT system that works in real-time at all times.
Enjoy!
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 01:46:03 am »
Update:
Yeah yeah, a new update in under six hours.  Got back from my new job about an hour and a half ago.  Jumped right into the engine and implemented sword attacks.  It's complete with sword swipe sounds and a randomly chosen Adult Link attack grunt from OoT.

Hope you enjoy the screenshots.  Again, still using placeholders.  If anyone has interest in spriting Link based upon a style I started and Knighty refined, let me know.  I have a sheet almost complete with every pose I need.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 10:37:54 am »
Update:

Nothing visual, however, something important nevertheless:
Nature noises added!

When it becomes night, the lonely birds and cicadas begin their calls!  The system in place is crude.  Right now, Only a couple different birds and one cicada length is played at random times similar to OoT.  All that is needed is for me to a variable or two and add the rest of the sounds from OoT.

EDIT:Just added crickets as well.  Sounds even better!

Other than that, I could add a temporary overworld them so that the Morning Intro, Standard Intro, Loop, and Fade Away can be programmed and finished.  All that will be needed eventually is a new rearrangement of the Zelda II Overworld Theme to better fit an action-adventure rather than RPG game as it did.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:44:58 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 06:44:48 am »
Update:

The first part of the HUD is done(life and magic meters).  I started brainstorming on how I would like the inventory to work.  I put together a concept, check the attachment.  Just wondering what you guys think about it.  I used LttP icons to show you how things will be arranged.

I might get rid of the sword and tunic icons representing Attack and Defense levels in the inventory.  Instead, I might just have the words Attack and Defense with an "x (number)".

Other than that, I added OoT overworld theme in both sunrise and normal versions.  The Day/Night cycle works great.  As the sun rises, the sunrise version starts.  If coming out of a dungeon,cave, etc., the normal version starts.  When it becomes night, the song fades over 5 seconds then a wolf howls similar to OoT.

I guess I should also mention that I added more nature sounds such as crickets and whatnot. 

Other than that, if anyone wants to do some sprite work, feel free to ask.  Kinda just hitting roadblocks on implementing items based on the Mana style I am using.  Like I mentioned in a previous post:  sword and hookshot is done.

For now, I will continue to work on the HUD and Inventory screen.  It isn't planned, but I might add an overworld map screen since Zelda II is pretty huge.  SO yeah, I will probably be working on HUD, Inventory, Overworld Map, and FIle Select.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 04:18:24 am »
I guess the inventory must be fine.

Anyways, I finished up the HookShot.  I uploaded an animated GIF to show how it works.  Was actually quit easy.  I though it would be difficult.  You can see the Link sprites from time to time.  Just adding them to the engine as I get them done.  I was offered help but the person hasn't responded in 5 days :/.

Welp, time to get cracking on the file select screen.  I already have the file save system in place so all that is needed is the gameplay aspect of it.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 04:11:53 pm »
Sorry if this comes late, but that inventory looks like it came from ALTTP, rather than LoZ II.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 12:48:29 am »
Update
File Select Screen is done...well, 99.99% done.  All that is left is to add the Magic Key Icon but I won't worry about that until later.

Hookshot has been revamped.  The sprites have been changed.  The positions of the drawn links are much improved as well.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:50:32 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 05:44:16 am »
Figured I would leave you guys with some more teasers before I go to bed then work a 10 hour shift.

All are from in-game.  The inventory is near complete.  Just need to add quest items and a cursor.  :P

• Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 74 queries.

anything