Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas I Had  (Read 10019 times)

Ideas I Had
« on: August 29, 2008, 05:21:31 am »
I had some ideas of some things that I would like to see and some things that I would like to happen and I was wondering if anyone agreed with these ideas.  I will list them with a short description in order to avoid wordiness -

- Mock Election
As a significant number of users here are from the United States, having a mock election would be kind of interesting.  The way this would be set up is that characters from the Zelda universe would be running for president.  It would be pretty simple and probably between two or three characters (either two to three main ones or two main ones with two vice presidential picks) and could possibly have interesting developments that mirror the Zelda universe and the real world.

- European Brawl Tournament
I know that King Tetiro has been planning one and I am not saying to hold one separate from his, but it should be put forward and if help is needed, it should be encouraged.  It is kind of sad to see a wasted opportunity and an idea die.  The tournament should extend and be covered in the Site News feed though as well to better provide function for the site.

- NCFC Coverage
This is more upcoming, but I do not know if this is being planned on by the staff.  It took a lot just to get an Announcement over its existence, but updating it on projects featured or at least reminding people the week it kicks off that it has begun would be really helpful.  Encouraging users here to uphold goodwill over there and to register and support our projects from here would also be beneficial.

- A Site Comic
At one point in ZFGC's history, we had the sprite comic, Link's Quest.  The site could use another new sprite comic that would be updated weekly on a different day than the Weekly itself; I would suggest incorporating it, but the Weekly is pretty packed as it is, and being more expansive would make the news seem more active which it needs to be to ultimately be viable.

- Member of (Something) or Featured Contributor
I know that this idea has been relegated more recently to an award and its inclusion as a concept has been thinned out because many feel like there is no one more to cover.  I disagree.  However, I think that it should be based on being a member in good standing as well as providing one or a few good resource(s) that month as well.  The idea is to compliment those who provide good resources to the site and I think that a shout out would provide some incentive.  The only thing to avoid is giving it more prominence than the project of the week also on the site.

- Official Forum-Held Sprite Competitions
This idea is not totally thought out but I felt that challenging people to create something new, especially when there has been a surge of recent good spriting talent would be a helping hand to developers who need unique things for their projects. 

- Altered Color and Holiday Themes
This is pretty self-explanatory, but possibly having a blue and red derivative of this forum as it is now would be pretty easy to at least make but as Infini has said somewhere, implementing it might not be so smooth with site integration or something.  What I wanted to also do a while ago was have holiday themes such as a Dampe/Graveyard theme for Halloween and perhaps a Christmas/Winter holiday theme for the last weeks of December.  This would be for the atmosphere and would make the community feel good.

- Cleaning Up Stickied Topics and Cluttered Sections
I said this earlier, but it was passed over because bigger things were getting worked on.  But seriously, the Discussion in Projects has stickied topics that could be simplified and it would make the page easier to read.  Also, in Debates, for example, there are some old stickied topics that I made that are no longer relevant and can be taken down.

- Icons in Tutorials and Examples Use
The icons help a person easily identify what language something is being made in and while there are many topics that the creator's do this, having someone go through the one's that didn't would make navigation that much more easier.  Also, some of the icons could be improved or new icons could be made considering the broad list of code languages that the site has a list of for its projects.

- Pruning the Inactive and Zero-Posting Members
There is nearly a list of about a little over 20 pages that do not post and are not active, this could use a trimming.  I know that it makes us look big, but I think that outsiders would be more receptive of quality over quantity.

If I think of anything more, I will post later, but I could use your opinions on these ideas.  Thank you for your time.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 06:09:32 am by 4Sword »

Mirby

Drifter
Re: Ideas I Had
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 05:25:38 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Last months of December? Might wanna fix that, 4Sword. Good ideas though. Just don't remove goldensmash128. I'll make him post here if its the last thing me or him do...

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 05:26:28 am »
Ah, my mind got distracted as I was listening to music and the repeat of cakefarts's speech, lol.  Well comments though?

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 05:27:28 am »
I gave you comments! Good ideas. I like them. JUST DON'T REMOVE GS128! I'M TRYING TO MAKE HIM POST SOMETHING!

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 05:29:06 am »
Oh, and something I want to say to you MetaKirby.  Since you are a news writer for the site, could you write a story other than Megaman?  I know it is cool and all, but variety wouldn't kill you.  I don't mean ill-will by that, just thought I would put that out there.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 05:31:03 am »
I'm working on a music article. I'm still waiting on replies from djpretzel, zircon, and housethegrate, and confirmation on Sixto Sound's AIM handle, so I can do an interview with them fluidly. And my first article was on Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 05:36:56 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
- Mock Election
As a significant number of users here are from the United States, having a mock election would be kind of interesting.  The way this would be set up is that characters from the Zelda universe would be running for president.  It would be pretty simple and probably between two or three characters (either two to three main ones or two main ones with two vice presidential picks) and could possibly have interesting developments that mirror the Zelda universe and the real world.
Well not sure how this would work out. So not much comment on it other than it does sound like a pretty good idea :P

I know that King Tetiro has been planning one and I am not saying to hold one separate from his, but it should be put forward and if help is needed, it should be encouraged.  It is kind of sad to see a wasted opportunity and an idea die.  The tournament should extend and be covered in the Site News feed though as well to better provide function for the site.
This is something that should be set up and I'd support even though I'm not in Europe. They didn't get one since they couldn't compete in the other one so I see no reason as to why not.

- NCFC Coverage
This is more upcoming, but I do not know if this is being planned on by the staff.  It took a lot just to get an Announcement over its existence, but updating it on projects featured or at least reminding people the week it kicks off that it has begun would be really helpful.  Encouraging users here to uphold goodwill over there and to register and support our projects from here would also be beneficial.
I think coverage of projects of members from here would be a good idea.

- A Site Comic
At one point in ZFGC's history, we had the sprite comic, Link's Quest.  The site could use another new sprite comic that would be updated weekly on a different day than the Weekly itself; I would suggest incorporating it, but the Weekly is pretty packed as it is, and being more expansive would make the news seem more active which it needs to be to ultimately be viable.
A weekly comic to go with ZFGC Weekly sounds good. It could be on anything. A funny joke that happened that week, an event, whatever. It could work.

I know that this idea has been relegated more recently to an award and its inclusion as a concept has been thinned out because many feel like there is no one more to cover.  I disagree.  However, I think that it should be based on being a member in good standing as well as providing one or a few good resource(s) that month as well.  The idea is to compliment those who provide good resources to the site and I think that a shout out would provide some incentive.  The only thing to avoid is giving it more prominence than the project of the week also on the site.
Member of the Month should return. There should be also like... Most contributed to the -- in given month. (E.g. Most contribution to Graphics section for December).

This idea is not totally thought out but I felt that challenging people to create something new, especially when there has been a surge of recent good spriting talent would be a helping hand to developers who need unique things for their projects. 
I remember there was a Sprite Comp a while back, would be a good idea to bring it back.

This is pretty self-explanatory, but possibly having a blue and red derivative of this forum as it is now would be pretty easy to at least make but as Infini has said somewhere, implementing it might not be so smooth with site integration or something.  What I wanted to also do a while ago was have holiday themes such as a Dampe/Graveyard theme for Halloween and perhaps a Christmas/Winter holiday theme for the last weeks of December.  This would be for the atmosphere and would make the community feel good.
I like this idea. I think it's been brought up in the past but nothing was said about it. I'd say go for it, but it's much easier said than done :P

I said this earlier, but it was passed over because bigger things were getting worked on.  But seriously, the Discussion in Projects has stickied topics that could be simplified and it would make the page easier to read.  Also, in Debates, for example, there are some old stickied topics that I made that are no longer relevant and can be taken down.
I can get on this, if it were alright with the Admins?

There is nearly a list of about a little over 20 people that do not post and are not active, this could use a trimming.  I know that it makes us look big, but I think that outsiders would be more receptive of quality over quantity.
I think it's WAY more than 20 :P

Anyways, with that all said and such, I say we bring back the Character Comp. I was thinking about doing it all a few weeks ago but I had no idea where to start, so I'd obviously need help :P
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 05:40:06 am »
A lot of people are going to look at that list and say that it is too much, and I would honestly help out with it if I could as I am capable.

Oh, and thanks for the comments.  You can probably go ahead and delete my Stickied Topics in Debates though as I don't see who could object to that.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 06:07:50 am »
Oh, and something to add.  I could help out with the Brawl Tournament seeing as how I helped out with the last one and I might be able to borrow a video capture card from my friend who has knowledge of video recording matches for a tournament.  I had an idea for a comic, entitled "Zelda Offensive" which was funny but got to a point of borderline racism - the Big Goron eats the Golden "Fried" Cuccos, the Ghost Sword Brother being a manifestation of a sperm, etc.  Oh, and I meant to say 20 pages, not people, oops.

Also, Yubel is really great with making graphics, so if things that need graphical doing need to be done, I would go to him on that or at least see if he could do mockups.  Really, he is underestimated a lot.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 06:14:07 am by 4Sword »

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 08:19:44 pm »
  • The Mike
Also, Yubel is really great with making graphics, so if things that need graphical doing need to be done, I would go to him on that or at least see if he could do mockups.  Really, he is underestimated a lot.
Nyeh? Graphics for what? The comic? I don't think I'd be able to help with that because I got other things on the go. :'(

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 08:27:13 pm »
No, I just mean in general, like for contests or whatever, nothing too specialized.  I mean, you made banners for the Weekly, you provided the images in the Brawl tournament, etc.  I was just giving a shout-out because you have done some good work. 

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »
  • The Mike
Ahh! I see. I wouldn't mind helping but I'm no good with comics though.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 09:30:33 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Good idea. I would suggest making the winter theme and haloween theme available at all times. I mean, sure it would make the community cooler, but I think that more site themes all year long are what interest people.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 10:21:27 pm »
Owh god, long post is long.

- Mock Election
Politics and role-playing aren't my forte, but if anyone wishs to do this, they are welcome.

Sounds fine, just a matter really of getting people to organise it. I don't play brawl so thats me out the window.

- NCFC Coverage
This is more upcoming, but I do not know if this is being planned on by the staff. It took a lot just to get an Announcement over its existence, but updating it on projects featured or at least reminding people the week it kicks off that it has begun would be really helpful.  Encouraging users here to uphold goodwill over there and to register and support our projects from here would also be beneficial.
Not really, Andrew was going to post one, thats why I didn't. I only posted when I was sure he wasn't going to. Eitherway I'll do some of this and anyone else who can view the site feeds is welcome to posts news item on its progress.

- A Site Comic
Again, this requires people to organise it, I as admin can't, my graphical tallents suck.

Ego stroking for the world. To be fair the whole member-of-the-month !@#$% was never really noticed much when we did have it.

Indeed. I'll get some people to do some competitions.

Blar, yes its possible, just requires me to rewrite a chunk of the theme system, possible, just a pain in the arse.

Zidane has voluntered for this, I'll leave him to do it.

- Icons in Tutorials and Examples Use
The icons help a person easily identify what language something is being made in and while there are many topics that the creator's do this, having someone go through the one's that didn't would make navigation that much more easier.  Also, some of the icons could be improved or new icons could be made considering the broad list of code languages that the site has a list of for its projects.
Does anyone actually use those icons O_o, lol.

There is nearly a list of about a little over 20 pages that do not post and are not active, this could use a trimming.  I know that it makes us look big, but I think that outsiders would be more receptive of quality over quantity.
No, I really hate these pointless 'must-purge-inactive members' thing. I've already had several members who have been inactive during purges come back and !@#$% about their account being deleted. I'm not doing this again, its pointless, there is no benefit to it.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 11:25:57 pm »
Originally I had the idea that the mock election would have plot twists, but I decided against it because that would get boring due to pointlessness and it would work better if it were pointless and fun.  I had the idea of keeping it between few figures for simplicity or basing it like a short character competition with the final vote taking place after the other votes with a short campaign.

I play Brawl enough to know how it works and I have talked with King Tetiro about helping out with it if need be.

I just think that the NCFC is a good way to reach out, so yeah, writing about it here to get the members here to do the same couldn't hurt.

Not sure how the comic could work, it depends on who picks it up, but I cannot do that great either in terms of drawing and graphics.

Yeah, you are right on the ego-stroking, but I thought I would just through the idea out there.  I figured the previous MotM system could be improved so that it was more than ego, but meh.

Yeah, sprite competitions would be good. 

About color themes, I have a friend who worked on a site that was integrated with a custom forum software, so I could look into his method to see if it is in any way applicable to what is here.

Yeah, alright.

The icons are useful when searching through lists because tags sometimes look to be a little cluttering of titles, but meh, it was just a suggestion.

I think that the ones who complained were just inactive; zero-posters really have no excuse considering that they can still see the forum, but I could be wrong.

Oh, and thanks for the replies.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 12:25:54 am »
  • The Mike
For the theme idea, I was kinda fiddling around with different ideas. All I did was print screen, crop the top, grayscale, then change the colour using the Color Balance option with Photoshop. I don't know if these are good but here are a couple examples. They aren't the greatest but just a general idea.

Red

Blue

EDIT: I could attempt to do a better recolour though but I'd need the correct colours or whatever for a particular theme.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:27:29 am by Yubel »

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 12:34:25 am »
Indeed, it looks good. I need to get round to updating the theme system though, the site is independent of the forum, I need to merge the forums theme system with it first.
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 01:40:22 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Red

Blue

They look good, but... too light imo.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 03:23:54 am »
We got a Goron and Zora theme!

• Mirby Studios

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 04:47:38 am »
  • The Mike
Red

Blue

They look good, but... too light imo.
They don't seem bright at all to me. They seem slightly darker than the current theme.

• Zelda Eternity
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 74 queries.