Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Spam in Other Areas Besides Spam  (Read 8081 times)

Re: Spam in Other Areas Besides Spam
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 10:19:03 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
If this "rule" is such a big problem, then perhaps it is because people (the majority) do not wish to follow it?  A rule is only enforceable when people want it to be.  Now, I could be wrong, and this just could be the minority of people, but it's food for thought (and the reason you won't get pulled over by a police officer for going 3 mph over the speed limit in America).
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006, 10:19:26 pm »
Killing spam won't increase the spam elsewhere... It'll only make people forget about it and look more into fangames and such...

There is a virus on the lose, all the people that get infected with it are put into a quarentined area.  The goverment decides it wants to take it's chances, close down the quarentine area, and let all the infected people run lose. Eventually everyone else gets infected and chaos ensues.

Sorry good sir, but you're wrong this time...

Killing off this "virus" will stop it at it's heart, leaving the remaining few who are still "infected" to roam for a little bit before dieing off. Without this source there's nothing for the "virus" to feed off of. End of the problem.
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2006, 10:19:50 pm »
4Sword, you have been trolling in this topic too.

For that, I dislike you as well.  And you used to be up there on my cool list.

And now I'm trolling for pointing it out.  Perspective is everything, and trolling/spamming isn't always that bad.  How is it hindering your experience here?
Did I insult him or did I state my opinion?  I simply said that I disliked him, and that normal, you cannot always be happy with everybody.  My experience is hindered when I see posts in a debate topic for example that are not fact, that are spam, and are generally unnecessary posts that only serve to degrade the topic.

Drewdelz, while I dislike spam, I also dislike herding people like sheep.  People cannot be forced into anything unless they feel on some level it is right.

The poll which was created had about an equal representation of those for and those against.  That means that the of all the voters, the issue was split, and needs something more.  I sent Alex2539 an idea of mine to help, maybe you should ask him or me for it.  I thought it was quite good.  Whatever happened to Forum Games?  It was like spam except in had a little more standards, wouldn't that be like the same thing to have?

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2006, 10:20:41 pm »
  • hungry..
I think just close spam entirely, those who don't like it, can go and find another forum to spam.
  • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2006, 10:21:01 pm »
Killing spam won't increase the spam elsewhere... It'll only make people forget about it and look more into fangames and such...

There is a virus on the lose, all the people that get infected with it are put into a quarentined area.  The goverment decides it wants to take it's chances, close down the quarentine area, and let all the infected people run lose. Eventually everyone else gets infected and chaos ensues.
Good example but we could just kill off all the infected people. (Spammers)

Killing off the infected people would also cause chaos. As long as there is a quarentine place for the infected people, they can't cause the outside people, or or continent any harm.

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2006, 10:23:27 pm »
Did I insult him or did I state my opinion?
::) You put him down.  Obviously.  Also: note that I did not say it was flaming (although it was that as well), but said it was trolling.  You're posting a comment deragatory to FISSURE.  Use your commonsense, that comment was unneccessary and meant to incite anger.

I simply said that I disliked him, and that normal, you cannot always be happy with everybody.
Yes, let me put a "list of people I dislike" in my sig.  I'm sure that would go over well ::)

My experience is hindered when I see posts in a debate topic for example that are not fact, that are spam, and are generally unnecessary posts that only serve to degrade the topic.
And you really think you could have made a debate out of that topic?
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2006, 10:33:46 pm »
I said what I said and backed it up.  The delivery of what I said may have sounded rude, but that was not its intention.  I said that he was hate monger and a troller with basis.  If I out of nowhere called him that, then yes it would be a bad thing to do, but in this situation, it was relevant and appropriate.  Throughout the course of time that I have known FISSURE on some small level I can see that his posting habits, in my opinion, have gotten worse.  FISSURE, to me, was always "on the line", and sometimes he crosses it.  That is who he is and I do not think that he is ashamed about it.  I think that FISSURE would relish in the infamy of being in a disrespect list.  I would not mind it either.

As for that debate topic, yes, if some people would have taken it seriously.  Just because it is hard to debate does not mean that one should spam it.
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2006, 10:37:20 pm »
Perhaps it was both relevant and appropriate for me to do what I did, as it was satire?  It wasn't like I went into the topic and started going "boob, lol", I think it was entirely appropriate and relevant.
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2006, 10:42:16 pm »
*looks up hate monger*. Now that i found the definition, this will be my last post for around 20 minutes since i'm gonna take a shower. I hardly post here all that much, i don't have the need to be a hate monger or troller. Basically, i don't troll, i don't make posts just for people to hate me, or just for people to come and try to flame me.

I never posted in this topic for the intent of being called out, or called on my post. If you had such a problem with my posts you could Pm me or report them. Not try and call me out with it infront of other people. Like i said when i Pmed you, i would love for you to PM me with alot of posts you find that i apparently troll, spam, or hate monger. I want to see what you think spam, trolling, and hate mongering are because so far you only pointed out two of my posts out of my many that you think are breaking the rules.

Now that i posted this, shower time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:39:33 pm by FISSURE »

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2006, 10:50:16 pm »
Thinking about it more and more, I think one of the biggest problems ZFGC has had in its entire history, is leaving things up to members. Administrators need to take a stand for something they feel is correct, rather then having people sway their opinions. It defeats the purpose of having an administrator.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2006, 01:35:07 pm »
Thinking about it more and more, I think one of the biggest problems ZFGC has had in its entire history, is leaving things up to members. Administrators need to take a stand for something they feel is correct, rather then having people sway their opinions. It defeats the purpose of having an administrator.

I suggest you look up the actual meaning of Administrator, then edit your post before you recieve the "Nazi Leader" label. XD

Anyway, I think pretty much everything that can be said about spam here has been said...
    You guys should make a choice, keep ZFGC's best intrest in mind! ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 01:39:50 pm by Drewdelz »
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 12:24:08 am »

I suggest you look up the actual meaning of Administrator, then edit your post before you recieve the "Nazi Leader" label. XD

Anyway, I think pretty much everything that can be said about spam here has been said...
    You guys should make a choice, keep ZFGC's best intrest in mind! ;)

I've only found things on court appointed administrators.

Needless to say, I'm not saying we entirely thrash the idea of public opinions on matters. The only problem with it is, it gets way out of hand, and causes too much distruption in the daily life of running the forum. We shouldn't be sitting here, as administrators, constantly changing the policy to fit user 'x' 's needs, and then changing it again when user 'b' complains. Which just causes user 'x' to complain yet again. We need something solid that stays in place. A lot of things here, are done publicly, that should be done in private. As administrators, we need to fix that, so when a user complaints about something that user isn't then flamed for his/her feeling on a certin matter.

Public opinion and interest is important, but we should not base our changes directly on public opinions. Websites, and forums are not great grand democracies, we're not elected leaders. We don't have a Paraliment that creates all of our policies and laws for us, based on public interest. We're administrators, not elected officials.

You can call me what you want, a Nazi leader, what ever suits you. I don't head the forums, I'm just stating how it should be, and I'm also contridicting my post to explain that to you.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 01:07:57 am »
Drewdelz was saying that yuo would run the risk of being called that by others (not nesseccarily himself).

As for that debate topic, yes, if some people would have taken it seriously.  Just because it is hard to debate does not mean that one should spam it.
Wether the world is going to end on Tuesday ... Very serious debate.
If you want a seperate debate about serious world-danger subjects like global warming, that would be debatable. But that topic would have been moved to off topic even if people hadnt trolled and spammed.

Delete the spam section, don't allow spam of any kind here, let them take it to some other shity forum. We don't need it ruining us... I don't see what's so hard about simply having a no-tolerance policy on spam. Someone spams, delete post and warn. Spam again? Ban. Spam again upon return? Permi-ban.

You can't keep it undercontrol because you simple won't try to.

Thats my preference on it.
Hide any blurps from the users to avoid negative influence, and ban if it continues.
But for those who manage to stay on the line, it produces an inaccurate representation of such a members identity on the forums.
If someone insulted me, i would want to know why, for example.
But, i agree that its a more functional formal approach.

Read this post please people ... Dont just dismiss as overworded dribble ;D
I'd like some responses..good or bad.

I believe in the idea that having a spam forum does damage the maturity in other boards.
In different forums, and different environments, we each have our own setting in the way we act. Here, you are being asked to act one way, but in the spam forum, looking and feeling the same, with the same people, same colours, same location, you are aksed to act differently.
This doesnt truly work, as there is always a layer of experience and atmosphere within an area, appended into the way you have acted there, which suttely influences the way you behave or feel when back in that or a simliar area.
And example is that you can feel happy at a particular sound, or angry at a particular smell.
..I am particularly affected by these things. Timed, i can answer a maths question many many times faster in my old high school maths classroom than i can anywhere else, as thats how i have built up the impression to do that unique task.
These atmopsheric influences are stronger on males than on females, and moreso on all of us at our teenage hormonal stages.
However, spam cannot simply be removed. It has been tried before, and the following countable anarchy and misplaced spam orgies would be just too much.
Its either got to be atmospherically removed to its own location, style, theme, slowly, OR gradually faded out by increasing rules that -e v e n t u a l l y- turn spam into forum games and then bring it so close to off topic that there is no distinction (this could take many months, and some mechanism to make sure people know of and abide by the rules;this would require stepped significant changes as appose to a perfectly infinitive interpolation towards off topic [from spam] ).
Alternatively, another idea may come up.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 01:18:18 am »
Andrew, leaders are the servants not "rulers".  I think that's what drewdelz was alluding to (although I agree that rules MUST be enforced, we can't have a lawless society).
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 01:56:42 am »
Drewdelz was saying that yuo would run the risk of being called that by others (not nesseccarily himself).

Yes, exactly.
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 02:44:40 am »
   I feel that if I were modded, I could handle most of the problem in the other boards, but others probably feel that I would not do a good job; I have to do a lot of the moderator???s work already (i.e. I see rule breaking, report it, wait five to thirty minutes, and then finally get resolution).  Part of the problem could be resolved with some people who could handle situations like I could.

If we are going to have a Spam forum which hurts the forum through its presence, then there should be something that benefits the forum because of it.  I have proposed to the administration an idea that would help: an advertisement system in Spam.  Before everyone throws feces at their screens like gorillas, then I would like to further explain my idea.  Similar to how advertisement was done at GamersAdvanced, there would be an advertisement in a topic as the second post on a page.  The advertisements would benefit the forum by providing financial revenue.  Spam, the board of the most activity, would at least have some purpose.  I would also call for an end to double posting in Spam.  Honestly, how much space does one need to post something stupid?

The problem with the advertisement system is that it would only serve to mask the larger problem though.  There would still be an imbalance in activity in the forum.  Spam would not be as much of a problem if other boards increased in activity as well.  A problem with making fangames is getting the animations right on sprites.  If we had people work on animating sprites and organizing them for others to use, then the activity in the Graphics sections would increase, and eventually Work-In-Progress would increase as graphically appealing games started rolling out.  This may seem like an impossible idea, but if it were set up around the Z3 expo, then it might work.  If people were worried that their sprite animations would help the other entrants, then they could release them at the end of the expo.  They could also release them before and let the other entrants work on their programming more, but it would be up to them.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 02:50:11 am »
   I feel that if I were modded, I could handle most of the problem in the other boards, but others probably feel that I would not do a good job; I have to do a lot of the moderator???s work already (i.e. I see rule breaking, report it, wait five to thirty minutes, and then finally get resolution).  Part of the problem could be resolved with some people who could handle situations like I could.

If we are going to have a Spam forum which hurts the forum through its presence, then there should be something that benefits the forum because of it.  I have proposed to the administration an idea that would help: an advertisement system in Spam.  Before everyone throws feces at their screens like gorillas, then I would like to further explain my idea.  Similar to how advertisement was done at GamersAdvanced, there would be an advertisement in a topic as the second post on a page.  The advertisements would benefit the forum by providing financial revenue.  Spam, the board of the most activity, would at least have some purpose.  I would also call for an end to double posting in Spam.  Honestly, how much space does one need to post something stupid?

The problem with the advertisement system is that it would only serve to mask the larger problem though.  There would still be an imbalance in activity in the forum.  Spam would not be as much of a problem if other boards increased in activity as well.  A problem with making fangames is getting the animations right on sprites.  If we had people work on animating sprites and organizing them for others to use, then the activity in the Graphics sections would increase, and eventually Work-In-Progress would increase as graphically appealing games started rolling out.  This may seem like an impossible idea, but if it were set up around the Z3 expo, then it might work.  If people were worried that their sprite animations would help the other entrants, then they could release them at the end of the expo.  They could also release them before and let the other entrants work on their programming more, but it would be up to them.

This is why I was about to make you a Mod just before I got booted. ;D
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 03:00:12 am »

This is why I was about to make you a Mod just before I got booted. ;D

I think the largest problem is ZFGC has zero direction. Our goal was to get things going for alex, and give him direction on where it should be going. We stopped having meetings, because kirby comes on like once every two weeks. (never is on IRC either.). I got sick for about two weeks, and fell entirely out of the loop in terms of ZFGC/DSR/Windfyre any other project I currently work on.

The forum needs direction, and a solid plan. Other wise it will go no where. Which is why... we should.. stop doing what we're doing now, and try to layout a plan to put ZFGC on track, rather than spinning in circles.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 03:08:31 am »
I justed posted something that is a pretty solid plan.  Something that provides a direction for the community and benefits people.  Graphics would help people making fangames, attract a larger crowd of people who are interested in those sprites, and generally increase all non-spam areas.  If my idea is coordinated with Z3, it could reinvigorate this forum easily.
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 03:18:40 am »
I justed posted something that is a pretty solid plan.  Something that provides a direction for the community and benefits people.  Graphics would help people making fangames, attract a larger crowd of people who are interested in those sprites, and generally increase all non-spam areas.  If my idea is coordinated with Z3, it could reinvigorate this forum easily.

By the way, your idea was posted in the admin section, i think alex replied to what i wrote, no one else did, and there it continues  to sit.

If i can manage to get justin to actually talk with me, and Alex agrees with the idea, i'm sure we can find a way to add it into our system.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 74 queries.