Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from Gamemaker - What Next?  (Read 3094 times)

Moving from Gamemaker - What Next?
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:18:35 pm »
I'm thinking about giving up gamemaker. I feel like giving up on my old zelda engine and I am determined to start anew. The program feels limited for me and I want to move on to something more complex. But I am not so sure where I can go next, because I do not want to go into anything too alien for me, unless that is the best option.

Any suggestions?
Re: Moving from Gamemaker - What Next?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:09:14 pm »
Well, is programming alien to you? Because that's the next step  XD

That's not entirely true, haha. There are certainly other options for game making that don't involve coding.
What features do you like about GM? Which ones make you feel boxed in?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:07:20 am »
What other options are there that don't require coding?

I always hear Gamemaker as a good introductory program for making games, which is why I feel limited in my current project right now.  I just think I can fare better on something more mainstream (like java, or C++) that would give better performance( though I guess I don't really know what I am talking about  XD). I have learned GML, but I don't know where to go from there.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:30:26 am »
Well, for example, there's Multimedia Fusion. I've never used it personally, but I've heard good things.I believe Foreshadower knows a lot about it, you should ask him.

I'm sure there are other tools as well.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:24:36 am »
I moved on to a language called PureBasic from gamemaker... I used it to create DLL files for gamemaker. It is a procedural language so it will take a while to learn the concepts required to make games with it. But it is also very easy, amazingly powerful and will teach you more about programming than anything else you could move to.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:53:50 pm »
I moved on to a language called PureBasic from gamemaker... I used it to create DLL files for gamemaker. It is a procedural language so it will take a while to learn the concepts required to make games with it. But it is also very easy, amazingly powerful and will teach you more about programming than anything else you could move to.
i moved on to PureBasic too!
Nubcake now uses Purebasic!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 01:24:38 am »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Well, for example, there's Multimedia Fusion. I've never used it personally, but I've heard good things.I believe Foreshadower knows a lot about it, you should ask him.

I'm sure there are other tools as well.

MMF isn't a logical step beyond GameMaker, they're roughly equivalent in terms of flexibility and power.

What I would do if I were you is learn GML in GameMaker if you don't know it, and if you do, try to learn Python and apply the skills you learn to GameMaker with GML. Eventually you'll get to a point where you can comfortably use whatever you want, but its best to not rush into it if you can help it.

And while I've never heard of PureBasic personally if its based on Basic and can create DLL's for GM it'd make for a solid next step as well
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 04:36:44 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
If you're serious about this stuff, I would REALLY suggest moving onto a real language such as C#.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 03:00:57 pm »
I've decided to move on to C++. My reasons are because it seems like a powerful language and is also the current mainstream language. I just bought a beginners book as well in order to help introduce me to the language. It may not be the best transition from gamemaker, but currently it is relatively easy for me to learn due to my experience with programming GML. Wish me luck!

And yes, I am serious about this  XD.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:05:49 pm by shongshui »
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:01:42 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Not gonna lie, that's probably your best option.  Once you understand C++, everything else seems like a joke.  That's how I started after Game Maker as well btw.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 58 queries.

anything