Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My Game Maker 7 rant!  (Read 15876 times)

Re: My Game Maker 7 rant!
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 07:52:33 am »
http://www.yoyogames.com/wiki/show/44 - GM6.1 Vista Converter. Less rant more research.

Seriously, if you're ranting about GameMaker it's a sign to move on. It's not professional. It doesn't do everything it needs to. Learn OOP Languages like the rest of us.
the a o d c

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 07:54:37 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
C# is a good starter language for object oriented programming. It can be as complicated or as simple as you need it to be. I personally prefer C# with the XNA framework; because its a good learner tool, and you can still professionally design games with it :P
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 08:45:32 am »
Well I'm already learning C, C++ but I have to use Game Maker for some school assignments.

Is GM7 the only one compatible with Vista?  God, I do not want to buy GM7...Some one got GM6.1 for me and it does not like the code...lol...
You can easily find a Game Maker 6.1 serial and a Game Maker 7 crack...

*puts hands to face*

How dare you advocate not paying for game maker.

i take offense to that
And I don't give a !@#$%.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 08:56:08 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
*shrugs* GM isnt a bad investment. Especially if you plan on making real use of it. I paid for my copy years ago, and I dont regret paying for it.
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 10:30:04 am »
C# is a good starter language for object oriented programming. It can be as complicated or as simple as you need it to be. I personally prefer C# with the XNA framework; because its a good learner tool, and you can still professionally design games with it :P
I'd say it's great for starters and experts. It's extremely powerful =).
the a o d c
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 05:15:48 pm »
  • 笑い男
It can be very good, especially when you match how long it'd take to make something in GM  to how long it'd take to make the same thing in say C++ with DirectX and how much harder that'll be

but when you start pushing the limits, especially it's efficiency limits, GM can become very annoying and of course there's also how limited it is, but with the help of dll's that's not as big a problem though

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 06:37:32 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I'm glad Venus advised me to get SDL, otherwise I'd have stuck with GM6.1, lol Look at me, I'm invisible!
But erm... yeah... C++ is truly harder than GML, so sometimes I prefer using GM too.

Try DirectX. That'll make your head spin.

DirectX uses C++ =\  It's just a matter of learning what to use and when to use it.  But yes, it is a pain in the ass.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 06:55:26 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol indeed; DirectX is just a reference library for your programming language :P... and it can be greatly simplified :p... DirectX in C# doesn't appear to be TOO complicated... but uh I'll stick with XNA because its hooks are a lot simpler then using DirectX in general... lol
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 08:35:57 pm »
lol indeed; DirectX is just a reference library for your programming language :P... and it can be greatly simplified :p... DirectX in C# doesn't appear to be TOO complicated... but uh I'll stick with XNA because its hooks are a lot simpler then using DirectX in general... lol
From my experiance (I've written several renderers in both managed and unmanged code) DX is pretty similar in C# as C++, just with less obfusicated names :P.
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 08:48:16 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I've decided to try C# now, it's fairly decent. Doesn't feel too different from what I was doing C++ really...still need to get some good lessons though. Also with Mono if you want to you can in theory use OpenGL and create cross-platform programs.

C# uses a virtual machine so is going to be (most likely) a bit slower than C++, but I doubt it's noticeable for what I'm going to be doing in it.
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 08:57:33 pm »
  • 笑い男
I've been meaning to try DirectX with C++ for so long now but every time i've tried, i just cant seem to set up the environment correctly and so can barely compile anything DirectX related T_T
although C# does sound tempting now though
I guess that'll be my next attempt :/

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 09:16:57 pm »
C# uses a virtual machine so is going to be (most likely) a bit slower than C++, but I doubt it's noticeable for what I'm going to be doing in it.
Common missconception. C# actually uses JIT compiling, which means that the code is first compiled into IL code (byte code) and then when its first run on a system its compiled into machine code. There is no virtual machine involved, its just as fast as other native code. The only downfall really is the mild delay on the first run of the program. Personally though the benefits outweight the minor delay.
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 09:52:58 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Ah, I shouldn't trust Wikipedia so much :P I need to get a C# book or two, I have none, and I've never been good at learning by reading off a screen. It's much easier when I print it out.
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 10:58:59 pm »
BTW, I've always wondered: Is C# better than C++?
Um, well, maybe it is better in a few things and worse in others, but what do you guys think?

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 11:04:50 pm »
I'm glad Venus advised me to get SDL, otherwise I'd have stuck with GM6.1, lol Look at me, I'm invisible!
But erm... yeah... C++ is truly harder than GML, so sometimes I prefer using GM too.

Try DirectX. That'll make your head spin.

DirectX uses C++ =\  It's just a matter of learning what to use and when to use it.  But yes, it is a pain in the ass.

DirectX is quantifiably more difficult to learn and master than OpenGL, Allegro, SDL, CDX, or any other API you want to use.

and it can be greatly simplified :p

Only if you take the easy way out and use Microsoft's broken pre-made stuff, or a wrapper like Allegro.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:06:47 pm by BuffaloBurgers »

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

COLORADO 27 - OKLAHOMA 24

Silvanesti

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2007, 12:27:50 am »
I\'ve been using GM for a long time and it really has it\'s limits. There\'s only so much you can do with GML. That\'s why I\'m learning C++

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2007, 05:24:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
From my experiance (I've written several renderers in both managed and unmanged code) DX is pretty similar in C# as C++, just with less obfusicated names :P.

lol yeah, I've never used DirectX for C++ :( only VB, and I had to halfass the library since there is no (to my knowledge) DirectX reference library made specifically for VB6 :(... but! That in comparison to the C# reference... C# is sooo much easier... lol bah but it is still a pain in the arse lol

Ah, I shouldn't trust Wikipedia so much :P I need to get a C# book or two, I have none, and I've never been good at learning by reading off a screen. It's much easier when I print it out.

XD Wikipedia is an evil reference... sometimes its good, most times its bad... Most universities frown upon using Wikipedia as a source of documentation :P
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 05:26:29 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2007, 05:46:29 am »
DirectX is the library of the beast. :-\

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2007, 05:53:48 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
XD 665 is the neighbor of the beast :p

but anyway lol... back to GM7 XD... When GM was sold to YoYo, that was an indication that the indie development of games needs a new dev tool... I dont think YoYo will get GM to the point it needs to be at, and personally, I think that its a good time to switch languages :p... Well, by switch languages I dont mean "Go to another *its all done for you* tool", I mean go with some object oriented language that really challenges you, but still allows you to take your application to new plateaus that you couldnt reach before. *shrugs* <3 C# and XNA
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2007, 05:54:51 am »
XD 665 is the neighbor of the beast :p

but anyway lol... back to GM7 XD... When GM was sold to YoYo, that was an indication that the indie development of games needs a new dev tool... I dont think YoYo will get GM to the point it needs to be at, and personally, I think that its a good time to switch languages :p... Well, by switch languages I dont mean "Go to another *its all done for you* tool", I mean go with some object oriented language that really challenges you, but still allows you to take your application to new plateaus that you couldnt reach before. *shrugs* <3 C# and XNA
XNA = tdev tool of the beast.

My advice: USE PYGAME
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 74 queries.