Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One Occurrence  (Read 5576 times)

One Occurrence
« on: January 06, 2009, 12:28:32 am »
One Occurrence

--------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: May.8th/09
As many of you have asked for, I've finally got around to redoing all of One Occurrence's original controls to a more suitable A/S/D/W movement + Mouse aiming system. (similar to that seen in Action Shooter)
Menus are now navigated with mouse clicks, and player movement is now absolute meaning you press up, you go up. Press left, you go left. Ect... No more pressing up to move towards the direction you're facing/aiming. This allows for much more free movement, and quicker and more accurate aiming.

One Occurrence is an adventure/survival horror game set in a small town during a cold winter when a mysterious zombie outbreak occurs. The townsfolk of this peaceful rural area band together to try and figure out what's going on as they slowly discover that what they thought was a riot late one night is actually an army of undead. You control Danny Gravis, who ventures off to to the middle of nowhere to inspect and sign for his newly acquired house that his grandmother had left him in her will. Being such a long drive from home, Danny decides to stay the night there instead of taking the long trip home again that night. That night, he's awaken to a loud pounding at his door...

In this demo, play through a small sample of story mode, or put your survival skills to the test in survival mode! Compare your "sur-viv-al-bility" with other players as you compete for top ranks on online high score tables!

Features:
  • Fully functional menus
  • Weapons inventory screen (see screenies)
  • Over 10 weapons, including 4  different grenade types!
  • Variety of zombie types (small in demo)
  • Plus tons more!

Gameplay Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74EaMNq_iQ

Screenshots:

Download:
Download from Rebirth's page, here.

Online Highscore Lists:
Lonely Cabin
Unexpected Stop
Graveyard

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:53:57 am by Drewdelz »
Re: One Occurrence
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:53:03 am »
  • Minalien
It looks interesting enough. I'm not really a big fan of the graphics style used in-game, but the game's got a lot of potential. I'm a little busy with my own project at the moment, so I haven't had the chance to actually play yet.

Good luck with the project, Drew, it's good to that some people actually finish projects here.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:35:25 am »
It looks interesting enough. I'm not really a big fan of the graphics style used in-game, but the game's got a lot of potential. I'm a little busy with my own project at the moment, so I haven't had the chance to actually play yet.

Good luck with the project, Drew, it's good to that some people actually finish projects here.

Thanks for checkin' it out, Min.
And yea, the in-game graphics = all mine, done quick. So not the best. lol
Hopefully you get to actually try it out, tho. :D
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 11:40:44 am »
UPDATE:
Just put up a new version.( v0.9 ) which now features an auto-updater and a few other minor bug fixes.
If you've downloaded the old version(though it looks as if no one here has, lol) please re-download the newest version from the homepage.

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:21:40 am by Drewdelz »
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:40:48 am »
Gameplay vid uploaded!
It's pretty bad quality, but oh well.

Gameplay Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74EaMNq_iQ
Re: One Occuʁʁence
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »
  • Oh.
It's not very scary, mainly because it's overhead 2D.  ;P

I do like zombies, though!
Hm.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:21:01 pm »

No one said it was scary. :P

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:58:56 pm »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
Honestly I can hardly tell what's even going on in that video, it's just too LQ.

I C'Z U
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:42:41 pm »
  • Oh.

No one said it was scary. :P

Ah well, when somebody says survival horror I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions ^_^
Hm.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:16:48 am »
Ok. First thing I want to say, is good job, its a fun game and you've obviously put effort into it.

Second thing I want to say, and I'll be blunt; The control scheme sucks !@#$%. Turning with directional keys does not work in top-down games, regardless of what some people may say. Try using the mouse to direct the character and just relegate the left/right keys to strafing. I would also probably cut down on the amount of keys binded, but thats not particularly important.

Apart from that though, and a few minor issues (collision and what not), its fun, good job.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 12:36:25 am »
Ok. First thing I want to say, is good job, its a fun game and you've obviously put effort into it.

Second thing I want to say, and I'll be blunt; The control scheme sucks !@#$%. Turning with directional keys does not work in top-down games, regardless of what some people may say. Try using the mouse to direct the character and just relegate the left/right keys to strafing. I would also probably cut down on the amount of keys binded, but thats not particularly important.

Apart from that though, and a few minor issues (collision and what not), its fun, good job.

I mainly went with that control scheme because Story Mode has up to 3 player co-op. 2nd and 3rd player must use controllers/gamepads, so I wanted the control scheme to be the same for all players.
The control scheme seems similar to RE4's now that I realize it... (yes I know this is still just a 2D top-down viewed game, not 3D, but stilll...)
Sooo... Maybe have it so if you double-tap down key, you do a 180 quickly?
Benifits:
 - You can turn and run away much more quickly.
 - You can watch your back better.
 - Double tapping is fun? =D

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 01:35:05 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
It's got potential! Only problem is controls :( Mouse aiming would be ideal, would also make it easier to use A/Z/X for actions, since most shooting games utilize 1 hand on mouse and 1 hand on keyboard. It would feel truer to the game play, imho. Nice work tho, drew!!!!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 02:11:57 am »
  • Oh.
The Hell?  There's a download available?  Neato, I wanna try.

EDIT:
Good fun, needs minor touchups.  Could benefit from a new control scheme, as said before.  Player's speed shouldn't be so fast, and when hit by a zombie, he should have his velocity capped at a certain amount.  Otherwise, you can run through the entire demo and only lose about 30 health, as I did.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:27:39 am by Downsider »
Hm.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:29:27 am »
The Hell?  There's a download available?  Neato, I wanna try.

EDIT:
Good fun, needs minor touchups.  Could benefit from a new control scheme, as said before.  Player's speed shouldn't be so fast, and when hit by a zombie, he should have his velocity capped at a certain amount.  Otherwise, you can run through the entire demo and only lose about 30 health, as I did.

The whole point of playing Story mode in this demo is to just show controls. The demo is supposed to focus mainly on survival mode. Good luck making it through that with only 30 damage. :P

EDIT: Uploaded new version now, v0.98
Now you can double tap Down arrow key to do a 180. :D

Hopefully that helps the awkward controls a bit...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:48:23 am by Drewdelz »
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 03:58:29 am »
UPDATE: May.8th/09

As many of you have asked for, I've finally got around to redoing all of One Occurrence's original controls to a more suitable A/S/D/W movement + Mouse aiming system. (similar to that seen in Action Shooter)

Menus are now navigated with mouse clicks, and player movement is now  absolute meaning you press up, you go up. Press left, you go left. Ect... No more pressing up to move towards the direction you're facing/aiming. This allows for much more free movement, and quicker and more accurate aiming.

So why not give the new engine a try? Download it from it's page, here:
http://rebirth.instantarts.org/oneo.php
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 05:47:53 am »
You have some very interesting projects Drewdelz, lol...

It was weird seeing a laid back chick when she had serious dialogue.

Loved the driving and how gears worked.

How do you change weapons?

Yet to try survival mode.

Is there no music or anything atm or is it just me.
the a o d c
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 08:13:13 am »
You have some very interesting projects Drewdelz, lol...

It was weird seeing a laid back chick when she had serious dialogue.
lol Yea, there's supposed to be different pics for different emotions and such, but so far all I have done are two (very horrible) portraits.

Loved the driving and how gears worked.
Thanks! =D But as you may have noticed, reverse is glitched and I didn't bother fixing it yet. :P

How do you change weapons?
Press Enter to open weapons menu, then click a weapon slot to swap.

Yet to try survival mode.
But it's the best! D:

Is there no music or anything atm or is it just me.
No music, yet. :/

Thanks for checking it out! =D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:14:58 am by Drewdelz »
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 04:33:16 pm »
Update: v1.1

A few people have asked for a "follow mouse" control scheme, so I incorporated it into v1.1

I've now added a choice between "Absolute" and "Follow" movement types.

I can't really judge how well the alternate control scheme is, because I personally suck with it and dislike it anyway. :P

Demo v1.1:
Click Here

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 03:39:47 pm »
BUMP. Still looking for feedback on the new control scheme you can use. (not the default)

And I've started working on this again(haven't touched it in months) and I really REALLY want to take this online. I've decided I've really got to stop failing at life and learn how online coding works and implement it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 75 queries.