Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Master Engine Release 0.0.1.12  (Read 3187 times)

Master Engine Release 0.0.1.12
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:16 am »
Nothing probably awesome to the advanced programmers, but no one has ever seen my code except for maybe a gmk here or there through-out the years.  I figured I would toss up what I had come up a while back reading xnaresources basic tile engine.  This release uses some of the code from there as what is the point in reinventing the wheel.  I added filters, changed some stuff, and added a filestream(which was no where in the article that  read so yeah, I did something without a tutorial :P) which will read txt files to load into the mapping system.

Minimum Software Requirements to compile: VS 2010 C# Express, XNA 4.0, .NET 4.0

An exe is in the debug folder.  I think you still need .net 4.0 and XNA 4 redist to play it.

On my end, I have a fully animated custom Minish Cap Link walking around and such.  It isn't pretty right now, so I won't release that yet.

Also, completely forgot to add Try Catch blocks :(.  I know I need to start using them as well as some bools to make sure !@#$% is loading properly but alas, I always forget :/

Anyway, have fun and rip me a new one with the critiques.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
Re: Master Engine Release 0.0.1.12
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:28:45 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Nooooot bad good sir! I took a quick glance at the code; it's not bad but if you're considering working full-time in a company, you might want to consider some standard coding conventions. For example, your constant names are all over the place and you have magic numbers everywhere. This may not seem like a big deal but it might be something worth getting used to. I find using naming conventions for your variables really useful for when you're coding, don't quite remember the name, but you can still find it with the help of your naming convention with the auto-complete feature most IDEs have. For example, private variables at our company start with "_" (e.g. _tileX, _offsetX, etc.) It's just little nitpicky stuff I tend to notice the first time going through anybody's code, really.

Your comments however are fantastic ("move the damn camera") and actually help the programmer with what the heck they're reading.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
Re: Master Engine Release 0.0.1.12
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:41:36 am »
Yeah, it's bad habit I got into using Game Maker for so long.  The only other naming convention I have learned is similar to what I have been doing with a lowercase letter to start then any words after with an uppercase letter.

Example playerPosition.X or fileName.
I have seen others and it's just a matter of forcing myself to do it now so I can get into the habit of it.
I don't know if it is a good practice but some books I have recommend putting abbreviations of the variable or class before the name:
strFileLocation
intOffsetX
floatPrecisionX
vecPosition (2dimensional vector)

Maybe adding that to what you said with using an "_" for private variables should be a good start.  I guess I don't pay too much attention since Visual Studio screams "This is private, you idiot" at compile so then I know I used the wrong variable if you know what I mean.  The little bit of college I have is with Python and there was no naming convention forced, you just had to comment your variables so the TA could follow the source code easily.  Kinda a stupid teaching method in hindsight lol.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 43 queries.