Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming downtime  (Read 3691 times)

Upcoming downtime
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:35:19 am »
Good morning fellow ZFGCers!

So, there's been a few major changes with how things are on the server. Due to recent events we will be needing to transfer our servers over to another host. This needs to be done within the week. Unfortunately the only available time to resolve this will be the weekend.

What does this mean for you? Well, the server will be going down at approximately midday UK time (5am New York time). It shouldn't take more than an hour to get everything up and running again on the new server, however the downtime may take longer than this depending on your ISP. We will be moving the DNS record to the new server. For those of you unaware, this change has to propagate down, and depending on lease times setup by your DNS server, you may have to wait minutes or hours for the change to come through.

Fortunately most of our users are in the US, so you should all be sound asleep when this happens, and of course, you can always join us on #zfgc. I'll be there whilst I am transfering the server over, and I will make sure it is the topic of the channel. You should be able to join and see straight away if the move is complete, and if you are just waiting for a DNS propagation or not. During this time you will not be able to use the 'Chat' link at the top of the site of course (as the site will be down). The irc server is irc.kbfail.net. You need to join the #zfgc channel once connected, and I recommend the Chatzilla standalone IRC client if you use Windows. You can find this here.

Summary
Site going down for a few hours at 5am US time this Saturday.
Join #zfgc on irc.kbfail.net for news as this happens - get client here.
Have a nice day.

Thank you all very much for your patience and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week :).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:57:52 am by Rafa »
  • Elliott Parkinson
Downtime delays
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:11:42 am »
So, it was my job to copy all of the stuff from the server to my drive, and back to the new server today. I left my PC running last night and this has yet to complete...

The downtime is planned to go ahead in just 50 minutes, however this transfer is very likely to have not completed by then (it's predicting 8 days to complete right now, sigh). In this event, downtime will be postponed until the transfer is complete.
  • Elliott Parkinson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 40 queries.