Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

What kind of project do you want to see as the next CP?

Tandem "GM Universal Zelda Engine" development and a game that uses it.
- 9 (23.1%)
Some form of an online zelda game.
- 4 (10.3%)
Ressurection of OOT2D or a similar 2D conversion.
- 6 (15.4%)
Recreation of a previous game? LTTP? OOS? OOA?
- 7 (17.9%)
Development of a zelda project / engine in an "advanced" language (C#, C++, etc) for teaching.
- 4 (10.3%)
Generic zelda game with a unique storyline.
- 9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: March 18, 2009, 09:35:37 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Community Project Redesign  (Read 20144 times)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: Community Project Redesign
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2009, 10:44:12 pm »
Yay for staff involvement!
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2009, 10:48:18 pm »
If the game were a revamp it would be developed based on how one would normally progress through the game. This gives time for the engine to catch up and plan ahead.
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2009, 10:48:27 pm »
Personally, I think that we should stay clear of an original concept because then the project would run into issues like plot, story line, etc. If it were just a revamp, all of that would be avoided. Original type games tend to introduce new mechanisms which would not be used primarily in the engine part of the community project while doing a revamp would contain many of the mechanisms in the engine.

Also, in my opinion, having it an open source Game Maker revamp is the easiest thing to do and thus it has the largest chance of being successful.

^This^

It seems the most practical. It may not tap into the whole creativity of the community as much as an original project, but hell it'd be the easiest to get done. Maybe having some success can lead to more complex development such as an SDK. You know, after we beat ourselves about the head a bazillion times.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2009, 10:48:52 pm »
For Dragon Roost, the view would simply move with Link as he moves around the side of the mountain, making it into more of a 2D sidescroller.  I'm thinking Butter Building in Kirby's Adventure, sort of (if you know what I mean).

The Gameboy games are simple though, and I think MM is also workable.
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2009, 10:49:22 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Id like to see either WW or MM remade in 2d. Out of the two I think MM would be easier but ill admit I haven't spent much time considering it. However if we go to make a original concept I'm more then happy to help think of plot lines or side quests or anything like that, so I'm open to an original one too.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2009, 10:58:28 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Id like to see either WW or MM remade in 2d. Out of the two I think MM would be easier but ill admit I haven't spent much time considering it. However if we go to make a original concept I'm more then happy to help think of plot lines or side quests or anything like that, so I'm open to an original one too.

But at the same time, it's easier just to make an engine behind those games, since it's all practically the same.

It's bad to look at it in terms of "remaking MM" instead of "making a 2d version of the 3d Zelda Engine", since you can pretty much make OoT, MM, and WW with the same engine.

Jeod

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2009, 11:43:00 pm »
Se, we narrow it down to Majora's Mask or the Oracle games? I can definitely help with either of them.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

gm112

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2009, 12:11:40 am »

But at the same time, it's easier just to make an engine behind those games, since it's all practically the same.

It's bad to look at it in terms of "remaking MM" instead of "making a 2d version of the 3d Zelda Engine", since you can pretty much make OoT, MM, and WW with the same engine.
A generalized engine is indeed, the best decision. If anyone would like to "remake" previous games, they can easily do so by using ZFGC's premade engine. As for a more advanced language, I don't think that would be successful because of the lack of people who are willing to develop in those fields.

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2009, 12:24:21 am »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
A general engine is a good idea but Game Maker certainly is going to make exceedingly difficult and agitating to combine code and very few people have the ability to work in actual languages.  It's a real catch 22.

I C'Z U
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2009, 12:51:29 am »
hmm why not use the last community project resources? I mean we have the storyline, we have part of the sprites, and we have part of the sounds, we just need someone to decide everything of what is in and what is out, if one people do this job and decide the storyline the items and the map then I think we will have a mayor advantage. but however you want.

gm112

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2009, 12:52:09 am »
Game Maker certainly is going to make exceedingly difficult and agitating to combine code and very few people have the ability to work in actual languages.  It's a real catch 22.
That's the argument I had earlier, but you aren't going to stop cry babies and people who think they own the project >___>.

Jeod

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2009, 02:29:46 am »
Who are you accusing Basniak? This entire topic has been about how the project will work out, and that is one of the issues I stressed was important, thereby agreeing with you. But the thing I've been getting from this discussion is that the team needs planning. Who will work on what? How will we piece it all together? Those are the main points that need to be answered.

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:37 am »
I agree that it should be narrowed down to MM or the Oracle Games. Although I think it would work better if they were slightly modified, rather than just a 2D or MC carbon copy of the game being revamped. That's just me though. There needs to be a bit of "new" flavor, even if it's just one or 2 minor additions to the Bombers Notebook (MM), or a few extra rings and a slightly larger role for Farore(Oracles).

I'll probably be more useful this time around than last time, since I've gone from being a GM noob who couldn't help with programming at all to a somewhat novice GML user who may be able to contribute something decent.  :)

And I promise not to derail conversations with wild, unfeasable ideas this time.  :P

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2009, 02:45:38 am »
So my question, is since there basically is no alternative to Game Maker, is how do you plan to handle maintaining one up to date Game Maker source file?

Consider that you'll have multiple people working on different features in their own style.  How would you keep track of who's doing what?  How would you combine the various components into one file effectively? 

You guys understand what you want to do but how do you plan to actually go about it and keep it organized, efficient, and functional? 

Before you decide on what the game should be about, first figure out how you're going to make this engine in gory detail.  It doesn't particularly matter what the game is about, so long as the engine base is both good and stable then you should be able to expand upon it with the needed features for a specific game. 

Keep in mind I'm not saying write the whole thing then decide the game.  I'm saying know exactly how you will plan to write it as a community and then decide the game. 

I C'Z U

Jeod

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2009, 02:48:30 am »
"Up-to-date" in Game Maker? Is there such a thing? The GML will always be different depending on what it's for and who programmed it. Perhaps it would be best if we made a curriculum? You know, a set of standards that each engine and each part has to meet to be accepted? That would probably ensure some organization and ability to combine all the features.

« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2009, 02:54:35 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
"Up-to-date" in Game Maker? Is there such a thing? The GML will always be different depending on what it's for and who programmed it. Perhaps it would be best if we made a curriculum? You know, a set of standards that each engine and each part has to meet to be accepted? That would probably ensure some organization and ability to combine all the features.

That shouldn't be any different for any language.  Give 10 programmers the same thing to make in C++ and you'll get 10 different interpretations of it.  Document a set of standards similar to what Infini did for the ZFGSDK and include this in a design doc.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

gm112

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2009, 02:55:48 am »
Who are you accusing Basniak? This entire topic has been about how the project will work out, and that is one of the issues I stressed was important, thereby agreeing with you. But the thing I've been getting from this discussion is that the team needs planning. Who will work on what? How will we piece it all together? Those are the main points that need to be answered.
Yeah, and the staff will be the ones who carry that out because they already know what needs to be done. There's no need for a random member to go making assumptions on certain decisions and misleading some people.
Make a design template and that'll solve the problem. Whomever maintains the programming part of the Community Project will be the one who decides the "standards". Pyrazor has a point that it will be difficult to keep up to date. You don't really get the convenience of having everything spread out to where it's not all contained in one file.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2009, 03:04:26 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
A general engine is a good idea but Game Maker certainly is going to make exceedingly difficult and agitating to combine code and very few people have the ability to work in actual languages.  It's a real catch 22.

That's why this project should stay miles away from GM :P

If a decent engine were made in C++ or C# with a user-friendly front-end, it'd be far more practical

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2009, 03:13:24 am »
Yeah but then the problem there is who would make it?  It's definitely too much work for a single person so that should be tossed out the window straight away.  If you can find a group of people who can competently code, are willing, and can all work in the same language then I'd say go for it but the odds of that are slim to none.

I C'Z U
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2009, 03:14:27 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I have to agree with mammy.  There's quite a few of us here that can work with a C-bases language, so I don't see too much of a problem.  Infini, Myself, Mammy, Minalien, SJeptp I believe does as well...

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 79 queries.