Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sword System  (Read 2111 times)

Sword System
« on: January 09, 2012, 10:33:51 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Alright, design team, it's been a bit, sorry for dropping off the face of the internet for a week or so, basically.

Anyway, although having meetings over skype is definitely the best way to get things accomplished, we haven't had one yet where it's been more than Stig and I, so I think we're gonna cover how the sword is gonna work here in a topic.

Obviously, there are some unchangable aspects of the sword: namely, you press a button to swing it and it hurts what it hits if what it hits can be hurt. The way I think we've decided to do it in this game so far is that as far as using items goes, there are three buttons to which you can assign items (let's call them A, S, and D), you can assign the sword to any of them, the hookshot to any, etc.
Also related to the item use is the "action" button, which if we're comparing this game to Wind Waker, would be R. For some items, we've already decided what this does (ie, when aiming an arrow, it switches which type you'll fire), but we haven't discussed how it will work with the sword.

What we're leaning toward right now (I think) is that what it will do is dependant on the context of what else you're doing. For example, when you're jumping with the Roc's cape, the R-action button would prompt a down thrust, should you have learned this move from a sword tutor dude.

Also to be noted is that the shield will be a seperate item from the sword. Meaning if you want to use it, you have to press the button you've assigned it to, and it has it's own context dependant R-action button actions when you're using it.

SO, with all that introduction: what types of sword and shield attacks should we put in King of Thieves? I loved the new manuvers in Twilight Princess and Minish Cap, but they could be taken further than MC did for a 2D game. So what types of attacks do you want, how will they work?

I'll start off with a couple moves Stig and I think will work in this game.

Roll Attack
Learned from Sword Master
While rolling, you can press the button you've assigned to sword to in order to initiate a roll attack, which entails Link sliding forward with his sword pointed forward to hit enemies. Akin to how the Pegasus Boots' attack works, this unexpected attack can also sometimes pierce enemies defenses.

Shield Bash
Perhaps learned as soon as the shield is acquired, in order to give the shield more functionality, perhaps learned from the sword master.
While holding the shield button, press the R-Action button to preform a shield bash, which can knock regular enemies back away from you. Preforming this action on certain enemies lowers their defenses and creates an opening to attack.

So, what other attacks do we want? I was thinking particularly of the down thrust, if the player finds the Roc's Cape, an optional item, he can learn it from a sword master.
Also, I'm curious if there is some attack that would be special and make sense if you pressed the sword button while the shield is equipped.

Furthermore:
The down thrust would work if you pressed the sword button while jumping.
What if you pressed the jump button while holding the sword button (like for charging a spin attack)? This seems like the method to initiate a jump attack to me!

Re: Sword System
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:59:02 am »
There are also commonly used ones not on this list: Spinning sword after holding the sword button, and shooting a beam from your sword when you have full health.

Another idea would be to have combo attacks. An example would be that when you press the button to slash the sword, it slashes it in one direction. If you press the sword button immediately afterwards, it slashes in the other direction.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 05:31:14 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Yeah!
I intentionally didn't add many attacks to this list, such as the spin attack, because the purpose of the thread is for OTHER people than me to brainstorm, like you, Jimn.
So yeah, I figure the spin attack will work like normal? Hold the button to which you've assigned the sword, and let go to initiate a spin attack? In MC, I believe you didn't know how to do this without being taught, but will you know it immediately in KoT?

Also, I really like the idea of combos. Although functionally, I dunno how they'd change much, it'd be visually appealing. Like a slick from the left, back from the right, then down or something. I'd look WAY better than the repetitive sword attacks usually going on with 2D zelda.
We COULD do it so the third or whatever is last hit would do slightly more damage, I bet, but I don't like that, personally.

Sinkin

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:47:41 pm »
  • Idk
This might sound a little bit too much on the RPG side but how about a slot system for the sword? The sword will have one or two slots where the player can implant an attribute that effects either Link or the sword in one way? Like if you implant "Extra Life" to the sword, Link will get one more heart container and if you remove that attribute the heart container will go away. Meh, I don't know, just a idea that came to me :P
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I like the idea, and don't think it's too far-fetched for a zelda game, because look at rings from OoX. They had things like that, half damage from beams, breathe under water for as long as you want, etc.. We could have rings that affected the sword, like put it on an your sword does more damage, or shoots beams even when you're not at full health, or allows your spin attack to last twice as long. I think this is a great idea!
The question before us now, is what is the best way to do this, is it through rings or other magic jewellery? Through something you somehow attach to your sword?

Also, how many of them will there be? I personally like the idea of a set amount, there are X many of these rings, they're hidden here, here, and here, and each one does this and this. As opposed to how OoX did rings, you could just keep finding them and they were random effects.

Sinkin

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:00:57 pm »
  • Idk
Magical Gems/Jewellery might fit this game better than rings. Maybe the player will have to complete side quests, roaming Hyrule Field or win them in mini-games? I guess we'll have to discuss this idea a little bit more later if it will be in the game :P
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:29:44 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Perhaps hems would fit better than rings, but I find them pretty similar in my mind.

It'd be really cool if these power up items could be related to how Link is a thief, like, they could be treasures Link would have to steal, maybe things famous among thieves? I don't know what that would be, though.

thestig

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 01:45:31 pm »
Gems, +1. I'm assuming these would be gained through side-quests (i.e. treasure hunting?)

In regards to the combos, Zelda kind-of already has that implemented. What happens when you swing your sword three times in Wind Waker? (or just about any zelda game for that matter)

Pretty much with what the first post has, that's all of what we discussed and my views still remain the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 56 queries.

anything