Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Would you actually use this for multiple platforms (I mean REALLY, not just pissing around and testing with it)

Yes
- 22 (59.5%)
No
- 15 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rapid game developer - VOTE PLEASE!  (Read 19693 times)

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
Re: Rapid game developer - VOTE PLEASE!
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2006, 09:33:55 pm »
If you dont make it crossplatform, I (and possibly Sol) will hunt you down! (He knows where you live, see).
:)

Introduce a command set for each platform, specific to that platform.
Allow both project settings and pragmas (in the code) that can be used to enable the use of these platform specific libraries and commands into rgd.
eg: msw_LoadDLL, lnx_ToggleWorkspace, would only be available when one of two things have been done:
change project settings to allow using commands specific to that OS (obviously forces compiling to that OS only), OR
pragma use mswindows;
If someone goes pragma use mswindows and someone else includes their code in their program, with pragma use linux, error: cant compile these into the same program (even if their two seperate compilation units, of course; So its not a pragma in the sense of file scope, rather it determines entire project settings ... You dont exactly want to go into RGD having makefiles afterall :) ).

I assume you have a context sensitive inclusion system, eg: if someone uses a CreateWindow command, it issues to use that library?
You could always try and do the same with platform specific features, then issue a warning that its more sensible to explicitly mention that by going 'pragma use mswindows' somewhere in one of your scripts (though ideally at the top of every modular section).

You can always mess up your ide with preprocessors if its windows gui functionality thats in the way.
And you can always have the platform specific libraries communicating or even extending the ones built in.

And an RGDDX9 extension etc.

If not for the children, ... Do it for your own sense of self satisfaction. :P

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace

YTMND

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2006, 01:26:57 am »
I dont think it should be cross platform... your not using pure BlitzMAX functions which means you have some other BlitzMAX libs (or w/e you call them now) that are not 100% cross platform... so... unless you just use the standard BM functions.... I saw no cross platform.
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2006, 01:27:56 am »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Personally I don't care if it's cross-platform, but I think you have more potential buyers if it is.
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2006, 09:53:23 pm »
  • You don't know me.
Well, I voted no, but that's mostly because I wouldn't make anything cross-platform. The only reason that I wouldn't is because I never make anything big like that. However, most of the people here seem to be obsessed with it anyway, so it's not like "Yes" won't win. >.>

Notice how "obsess" is kind of spelled like "Obese"?

No one located in this area of the internet remembers me.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2006, 10:30:08 pm »
..? oky dokey. Obsessed => Obseesehd with food (in some local tone) => Obese with food.

Hero of Vortex, i'd rather play something you made on linux, and get even more speed out of it :).
hmmm.. Imagine the day when even your light switch has a processor, ram, display screen, its own hard drive, and an operating system:
Q: How many microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None; They just declare darkness the industry standard.
You won't mind having a windows OS on your light switches?
Maybe its romantic and optimistic, but i dream of a world where competence in the quality of products outweighs financial insecurity.

Helios, whats the point in paying for the functionality of Blitzmaxes cross platform libs if you dont use them? (That might get knocked down if your using other modules ... eep.).

Also: What would rgd have in the way of containers and delegates ? ( Combining them produces my favourite OOP pattern n_n ).

I ♥ Sol
  • MySpace
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2006, 10:34:32 pm »
Hero of Vortex, i'd rather play something you made on linux, and get even more speed out of it :).
hmmm.. Imagine the day when even your light switch has a processor, ram, display screen, its own hard drive, and an operating system:
Q: How many microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None; They just declare darkness the industry standard.
You won't mind having a windows OS on your light switches?
Maybe its romantic and optimistic, but i dream of a world where competence in the quality of products outweighs financial insecurity.
XD, just have to watch out when they start implanting chips in pets and milk cartoons.

Helios, whats the point in paying for the functionality of Blitzmaxes cross platform libs if you dont use them? (That might get knocked down if your using other modules ... eep.).
Yeh i agree, the reason being that cross-compatiblity limits me on doing a lot of the things i want to do (such as ReBars, Columised List Boxs, Proper MDI, ...ecetera ...ecetera)

Also: What would rgd have in the way of containers and delegates ? ( Combining them produces my favourite OOP pattern n_n ).
Hehe, I would love that to, but remember the target audience of this product, Im trying to keep the scripting language simple and easy to use, I want to keep it majorly procedural as n00bs can reck havok with OOP.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2006, 07:30:52 pm »

OK then: the procedural equiveltant :  realloc() and arrays of function pointers ?
..Nevermind..

Some sort of safe 'function variable' in some way ... You know you want to!

I ♥ Sol
  • MySpace
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2006, 07:35:54 pm »
Yeh I do, but again remember the target audience, I don't wish to make the langauge to difficult, though I am thinking of have a compile option to allow you to use some more advanced features.

gm112

« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2006, 03:58:57 am »
then why don't you make more to the scripting language (hard parts)?
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2006, 03:42:04 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
I'm going to have something awesome to show you for z3.
H4X!  THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! :D

[/subliminal_message]
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2006, 05:12:53 pm »
Heh, may do, but i'm trying to sort out binaryphoenix.com's stuff at the momen, which dosen't leave much room for this at the moment.
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2006, 09:30:02 pm »
  • ^This is my sprite comments char
how the codeing/script will be like gml? or like #c?

i'm working on:

I support and i'm part of the team of:
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2006, 09:33:25 pm »
Scripting language is done more or less, its a bit of a mix between C++ and basic, you'll see when its done anyway.

As i've already stated i'm working on binaryphoenix.com content at the moment, so this is taking a back-shelf for the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 64 queries.