Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why doesnt anyone just start a OoT 2d or MM2d and finish them???  (Read 17097 times)

Re: Why doesnt anyone just start a OoT 2d or MM2...
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2006, 05:14:50 pm »
  • =/
Ok, I'll tell you guys the truth why no one finishes an oot or mm in 2d. People use too simple lanuguages to make them.

Game Maker, unless the graphics and code and sound is all external the loading times are going to be hell even if you do finish. Hell, even if you get to the master sword the loading times will be hell. Look at the Oot 2d CP the loading times are 14 seconds just for ONE map and a moving engine. No sword,bombs or even arrows.

RPG Maker, again with loading times will be hell. Probaly faster then GM but certainly not fast enough to make me happy or the rest of the world happy.

Flash: Not as simple as Gm or Rpgm and can seperate loading times but a bit buggy with collisions and weapons.

What we need is a group of talented C#, Java or C++ programmers to make us an Oot 2d or atleast do it with passion and not just pride.
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2006, 05:49:06 pm »
True, but it can be done in Game Maker with relatively loading times. I'm working on a game that has at least as much as the demo you are talking about, and the loading time is about 1.5 seconds.

It really depends on the skill of the programmer. If resources are loaded externally, ONLY WHEN NEEDED, loading time can be tiny. Instances can be deactivated that are outside the view's screen, unused graphics or sounds can be temporarily freed from the memory...on and on.

TRM is nearing completion of his OOT2D, so at least one person is sticking with it.
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2006, 05:54:16 pm »
  • =/
True, but it can be done in Game Maker with relatively loading times. I'm working on a game that has at least as much as the demo you are talking about, and the loading time is about 1.5 seconds.

It really depends on the skill of the programmer. If resources are loaded externally, ONLY WHEN NEEDED, loading time can be tiny. Instances can be deactivated that are outside the view's screen, unused graphics or sounds can be temporarily freed from the memory...on and on.

TRM is nearing completion of his OOT2D, so at least one person is sticking with it.
I love external resources. I once started an oot 2d and it had about 3 second loading times because I had sprites internal. I eventually made them external but I decided since so many people we're making an oot 2d and had a headstart, that I would just stop working on it. I never did but I don't work on it much anymore. About, maybe 5 minutes a day.

Intances being deactivated dosen't count for much when the maps are huge and pixelated. It will still lag every few seconds. With Gm6 I couldn't load in HoF's Hyrule field fast enough and after a fewe minutes of loading the game worked with very laggy enviorments.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2006, 09:15:26 pm »
'External' is simply the competent way.
At a lower level though, you could have much greater maps withought lag at runtime. Custom defined maps of say only 5-20KB on disk would have absolutely no loading time from within a mid-level programming language. So..You could have infibately spanning maps, loading each adjacent map and freeing maps just out of adjacentness. Using custom palettised images, compressed, you could get almost insant image loading too. And rendering performance would be hardware defined by usign something like opengl or directx, for true some real speed.
You make a zelda game in C++ or C#, and you have to emulate loading times by delaying change in area so the change in links location doesnt disrupt the player lol.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 42 queries.