Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadow of the Colossus is the evolution of the Fighting Game genre.  (Read 498 times)

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
Shadow of the Colossus is the evolution of the F...
« on: July 07, 2008, 04:43:26 am »
Genres evolve. By that I mean that the enviroment weeds out the members of the genre that are unfit to the survive, and the survivors, who are able to survivor due to favorable strong genetic traits or positive mutations, go on to pass on their DNA to the next generation of that genre. The particular genre in this discussion is Fighting Games.

Shadow of the Colossus is a single-player 1-on-1 fighting game. There were other 1-player fighting games in the 80s such as The Attack of the Phantom Karate Devils and Karate Champ, but none of them were very popular. You must defeat your opponent before you can advance to the next one, like in a old fashion fighting game. This game shows how much the fighting genre has evolved since the 80s, where were a million years ago and now irrelevent.

You have an assortment of moves that have abusable nuances in which you can have unintended effects, like Super Smash Bros Melee's Wave Dash or Super Smash Bros Brawl's infinite chain grabs. You can do a giant leap off of #3's sword with strict timing and the right input for the jump. You can also grab a hawk and fly from it by continuely trying to climb on top of it, or "Hawk Humping." Short hopping is sometimes a faster way to climb a Colossus.

What REALLY makes a fighting game is being competitive and having depth and advanced tactics. You must compete against the CPU for the fastest run through each opponent. Advanced tactics can be used to fight your opponent. This game is so deep because if I play it, I am theoritically the god of fighting games.

Discuss.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Shadow of the Colossus is the evolution of t...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 04:45:09 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Hmm I suppose I can see the connection, if you replace button mashing with *having the exact same strategy for every boss*, they could be similar...

but the difference is; Shadow of the Colossus is a good game, whereas most "Fighting" games are not.

Also SotC is an exploration game.
Re: Shadow of the Colossus is the evolution of t...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:55:01 am »
The controls really pissed me off. I couldn't kill the boss in the demo, climbing had no effect even if I stunned it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 41 queries.

anything