Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm going to see Al Gore's new movie this week...  (Read 1248 times)

I'm going to see Al Gore's new movie this week.....
« on: June 29, 2006, 09:30:32 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
...and I'll be taking notes.  I just listened to an interview with the MIT proffessor of atmospheric science, and he said that there's simply no evidence as to what the patterns have been from 1000 years ago, and so that anyone can say whatever they want-- and that's what the movie did.  It's a matter of maybe one degree every 100 years, and it's been fluxuating consistently.  There is NO EVIDENCE for global warming according to the MIT proffessor, and he said something that I just have to agree with (although the only thing I can agree with is this, because I'm not as knowledgeable as he is), "It is not a good strategy to change and make plans over something that we don't even know if we are causing.  It's not a good strategy to try and form plans over changing something that we know nothing about."

And so I'll probably post a debate topic, after watching the movie :)

Pyru

Re: I'm going to see Al Gore's new movie this we...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:37:19 pm »
We do know that rising global temperatures have been occuring in the same time frame as drastically rising CO2 levels, which have only been happening because of human industrial activities.

A little more complicated than that, but the general assumptions are:

-Human industrial activity releases more CO2 than the environment can currently handle, so the levels are not balanced, but continue to rise.
-This CO2 has been building up, and heating up the air.

Yeah. There's no 100% concrete "proof" (but there never is for anything).

Nevertheless, acting on the assumption that it is true - and it turning out to be false - would be better than acting on the assumption that it is not true, and that it does, in fact, turn out to be correct.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 12:58:44 am »
The rate of change of increase in global temperature rose sharply during the industrial revolution, but the cycle in temperature change is so vast that its probably insignificant as far as earths concerned.

The proposed general cycle is for more CO2 => more temperature => more water => wet weather => rain => more than usual dissolving and lithification of CO2 => less CO2 in atmopshere => eventually back to normal => ice age => no rain, no weathering, no CO2 diagenisis => accretion of volcanic volatiles into atmosphere => temperature rise => back to normal.

We'll probably die somewhere along the way no matter what we do  :D

Looking forward to your return.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 01:37:30 am »
  • Its the joeshmo!
Sorry this is off topic, but I first thought about south park with their al gore episode and manbearpig. Al gore shall slaughter man bear pig in an epic motion picture, Im super super cereal.
  • Netterra Virtual Pets

Pyru

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:02:11 am »
The proposed general cycle is for more CO2 => more temperature => more water => wet weather => rain => more than usual dissolving and lithification of CO2 => less CO2 in atmopshere => eventually back to normal => ice age => no rain, no weathering, no CO2 diagenisis => accretion of volcanic volatiles into atmosphere => temperature rise => back to normal.

But whether or not this process is being disrupted by human actions... and whether or not it'd cause massive problems for millions, billions of people for thousands of years at least.... :P

I still say to try and not mess with an environment that we know very little about.

Give humanity a few hundred more years and I'm sure we'll all nuke ourselves to death...

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 08:02:59 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Nerds.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 09:24:44 am »
Nerds.
Ya know bud, if you're not gonna contribute to the topic you should just keep your mouth shut.  Not to mention there shouldn't be any one-word posts except where appropriate.

Give humanity a few hundred more years and I'm sure we'll all nuke ourselves to death...
Assuming that all of the rational people just don't shoot themselves.  Then again, even if that does happen everyone remaining will nuke each other to death.  Humanity has a bright future.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 09:25:31 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Shutup nerd noob.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 09:26:29 am »
Shutup nerd noob.
Because I'm clearly trying to be annoying and ignorant.  Grow up.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 09:40:33 am by jman2689 »

Pyru

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 10:40:51 am »
Shutup nerd noob.

Only nerds say n00b. :P

And, Pedlya, please stop spamming a serious topic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 53 queries.

anything