Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "MiZM" Zeltroid Game  (Read 20715 times)

Re: "MiZM" Zeltroid Game
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 09:22:18 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
The black sprites used for dodging and recharging stand out somehow. Maybe it's because most of your spritework feels smooth and is without other pure blackness. Using a few frames of a fully white link / tunic instead might be a simple way to get some softer visual indicators. (Check the hair recharge in "Celeste" for an example).
Thanks. I've felt the same ever since I added it, but it's great to get another person's feedback to confirm that it's not just me being strangely picky. You observations and advice should prove helpful. I guess I'll have to reference Celeste (again, lol), but for now I'm leaving it as is, in favor of tackling more of the bigger stuff. So it's going on my "TO FIX" list. ;)
  • My Music
Re: "MiZM" Zeltroid Game
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 09:45:32 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
UPDATE:
  • Reworked the player state machine so it's clean and consistent.
    It wasn't 'terrible' before, but it definitely needed reworking to ensure I'll avoid future headaches and lost time.
  • Reworked the game state machine and added a lot of new game states.
    For e.g. a state for scenes where the character is controlled by a sort of timeline, movies (planning to do a little rotoscoping for key moments of the game, like when you get your sword), menu, etc. - even some dev stuff, like a world editing state.
  • Converted an "impact freeze" effect to a game state.
  • Improved on some fluidity and game feel in player mechanics by allowing some jump and attack buffering in certain states.
  • Various code and asset cleanup, mostly to give more sensible grouping and organization to remain manageable as the project grows.

The huge thing this weekend was not the basic textboxes, actually (that took very little time), but it was properly reworking the player state machine without totally ruining it (I honestly lost all of Friday and nearly half of Saturday because my first attempt did totally ruin it...), and it also took a bit of time planning the game states to allow for complex scenes, for properly pausing in each state, and setting up for everything the game will need in the future.

Next weekend, the plan is to continue work on the text engine, implementing "item get" stuff and to add a possibility for some textboxes to show an image above it, which would be used for showing pictures of the item that the text below says you've obtained. I may also use the picture for character busts later, though I only really have a shopkeeper and a secret Easter egg character, so it's not like this game will have many characters. It's largely a story about a lone character and his spirit sword. Any other characters wouldn't play much of a role.

-

EDIT 2021, October 2nd:

Wow, it's been just over 2 years since I did anything notable on the game, but I have done small updates on it to keep the code up to date with the latest version of GameMaker, and I've written the code cleanly enough and documented my progress and marked my place in my to-do list so I can come back to it and continue it without getting lost in the code, not wondering what in the world I was in the middle of doing and what was I going to do next.

So I see no issue picking up where I left off. That said, I'm still not sure when I'll pick up development again, which is why I'm not making a new post, just this sneaky edit. The best I can say at this time is that I still do not plan on giving up on this project and I've purposefully been holding off on starting any new bigger non-paid projects until I get back to this and complete it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 12:44:10 pm by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 38 queries.