Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post your PC's custom boot screen, and how to create one! (maybe 56k warning?)  (Read 1113 times)

Nintendo Maniac 64

Not dead, just a lurker
Post your PC's custom boot screen, and how to cr...
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:56:57 am »
  • ニンテンドーマニアック64
Since I finally got around to changing mine since I got my new PC from back in May, I figured why not make a topic about them?

Here's mine (in the needed 640x480 with 16 colors - using my custom optimization procedure)
(note, even though for Windows OSes BMP is required, PLEASE convert to PNG/GIF for this topic)

Yes, it's 2k-tan... what can I say, anime + girls + technology = win

Original image link

(sorry Mac and Linux users, the following is only for windows.  But I figure Linux users are smart enough to figure out how it'd work on their OS)

If you run XP/2K and don't know how to change your boot screen, I recommend using the program "bootskin" (LINK  It MAY work on other windows versions, but I cannot test it to find out.)

First find your image and open it in an image editing program. (I recommend XnView)  Make the image resolution 640x480.  Next, reduce the colors to 16 and then save as a BMP (filename must have NO spaces). Make sure it's actually saving as a 16-color bitmap and not converting it back to 24bit.

Then go install BootSkin.  Once installed, there will be a folder called "skins" where you installed bootskin (for me it's: Program Files\Stardock\WinCustomize\BootSkin\skins).  In the "skins" folder, create a new folder called whatever you like.  In that folder, store the bmp image you edited/created.  Now in the same folder, create a txt file named "bootskin" (without quotes).  Put the following text inside (replace brackets and the text inside them with the values specified, KEEP THE QUOTES):
Code: [Select]
[BootSkin]
Type=0
Name = "[insert any name here]"
Author = "[insert your name here]"
Description = "[insert a description]"
Screen=[file name of image WITH EXTENSION goes here]

So for example mine looks like this:
Code: [Select]
[BootSkin]
Type=0
Name = "2k-tan"
Author = "Me, Myself, and I"
Description = "2k-tan bootscreen"
Screen=2k-tan.bmp

Then change the file extension of that txt to ini

Now go back to BootSkin and your boot screen should be selectable.  Click apply and then the next time you boot into that OS, it'll be there.

EDIT: I think I've edited my instructions enough :P (due to pickiness of clarification)  Hopefully you guys can understand what I meant.  If not, I'll create a topic again in the future with a video.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 03:21:11 am by Nintendo Maniac 64 »
ZFGC's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

Fate/stay night-related and other extended music loops:
http://www.youtube.com/user/nintendomaniac64

CPU + iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
  • My YouTube channel

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: Post your PC's custom boot screen, and how t...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 06:05:14 am »
  • b e p i s
Boot Skin didn't work with my computer :( It's a shame, I had the OS X Boot Camp screen with the arrow like you are selecting Windows. Oh well. It's probably my BIOS or something.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:01:49 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Here's mine:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:45:20 am »
ooh cool, here's what I'm using now
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 44 queries.