Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's On Your Christmas Wishlist so far?  (Read 21583 times)

Re: What's On Your Christmas Wishlist so far?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 09:54:07 pm »
  • ざわ
So far I only have a list of books I'd like :P at the top is the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer - it may sound familiar, it's been turned into a film and I believe it is in cinemas in the US now (the UK has to wait til 9th December I think)

Gahh, don't do that to yourself! D:
Okay, I've only read the first one, but... meh. MEHHH.
(Still gonna watch the movie though, I'm always curious what they do with adaptions..)

Side note: it's wonderful to see a female that doesn't like those stupid, stupid books.

Hehe... thanks. :D

So far I only have a list of books I'd like :P at the top is the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer - it may sound familiar, it's been turned into a film and I believe it is in cinemas in the US now (the UK has to wait til 9th December I think)

Gahh, don't do that to yourself! D:
Okay, I've only read the first one, but... meh. MEHHH.
(Still gonna watch the movie though, I'm always curious what they do with adaptions..)

Side note: it's wonderful to see a female that doesn't like those stupid, stupid books.

Just reading a few summaries on Wikipedia was enough to let me know not to read them. It all sounds so...cliché.

Then again, if I were to write a romance book it'd probably go:
John was a quiet, harmless, but shy man who had always had a thing for his co-worker Jane. He was about to go ask her out in typical bumbling manner, when a ninja appeared out of nowhere and sliced him in two, vertically, straight down the middle with a 6ft Katana. Then, world war three broke out and everybody died in the nuclear fallout. The end.
Summary of Twilight:
Edward: BELLA you're so weak LEMME DO THIS FOR YOU or you'll kill yourself... btw I'm a vampire
Bella: OH YES EDWARD MY DEAR EDWARD PLEASE PROTECT ME EDWARD I'M SO WEAK EDWARD I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ON MY OWN EDWARD

... I don't understand why people would like that ;_;
It was "okay" to read, but I really don't understand this huge obsession with the series.
sup.
  • My Website [german]
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 10:06:40 pm »
I would say that the female readers of that series are weak and want to be rescued, but then again that is generalizing and condescending - a two-fer for yours truly.  Beyond all the vampire stuff, it is a campy version of Romeo & Juliet sort-of - and really no one can top Shakespeare so if you've read his works, everything else seems a little dull. 

Oh, and about the pants, normally I just wear shorts, but that leaves me feeling a little too childish for some reason and pants would let me feel a little more dignified.  Had I decided to wear panties under them, then I might be a little odd, albeit it might be a little comfortable compared to what I wear now - support is good, constriction's a !@#$%.

But yeah, as others have said, hanging out with a few friends would mean more than material things.  I'm going to try and hang out with my friend Pusty over the break as well as I will try to go to whatever sporting event my sister Kim is in.
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 10:16:28 pm »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 10:20:06 pm »
Joke List (Age rating of 18. Sexual joke. That's why it's an 18)
Show content
Stripper :P,
Icecream??,
WAX?!?!?!? :O

Real list
-PSP
-Final Fantasy 7 : Crisis Core
-Final Fantasy Tactics.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:21:37 pm by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 10:27:01 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
On top of my list are Vibram FiveFingers (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_sprint.cfm)

Damnnnn I want a pair o.o
Yeah, I can't wait until it's warm enough to use those running, but I'll probably run indoors with them during the winter. Plus I would use them for a whole bunch of other things.

But I still haven't decided between those or Nike Frees for "barefoot" running.
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 06:27:31 pm »
After a break of being a bookworm, I am once again reading lots again, and I feel it would be shameful for me not to read those books. Just so I know what the hype is all about.

@Kyubi: I'm not obsessing. I merely mentioned.

Although I have to admit I'm a sucker for anything romantic ...

But you'll all be pleased to know that Anthony Horowitz and Sue Townsend's latest Adrian Mole book is also on the list. I used to adore the Adrian Mole books (they are far far farrrr from anything like Twilight, nothing fantasy-like or romantic about them)
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 06:45:30 pm »
Oh right, speaking of books, I keep hearing about the book called Team of Rivals about Lincoln's cabinet, so I am planning on getting that - although I am not the typical person who is into reading.  Otherwise if there is any good book on the physics of time travel not involving cosmic super strings (they're epically stupid, only theoretical, and time travel involving such things is limited to around the event in which you arrived originally at them), then I will buy that. 

I read to induce migraines, not fuzzy-wuzzy feelings, >.<.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 06:47:57 pm »
  • b e p i s
Oh right, speaking of books, I keep hearing about the book called Team of Rivals about Lincoln's cabinet, so I am planning on getting that - although I am not the typical person who is into reading.  Otherwise if there is any good book on the physics of time travel not involving cosmic super strings (they're epically stupid, only theoretical, and time travel involving such things is limited to around the event in which you arrived originally at them), then I will buy that. 

Dude, you need to read "In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat." It's AWESOME.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 07:33:29 pm »
  • *whistle*

Dude, you need to read "In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat." It's AWESOME.

You mean... THIS BOOK?

Uhm, yeah, haven't read it yet. Wanted to show off since it's one of the few books I have here with me at Uni.
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 07:58:19 pm »
  • ざわ
I would say that the female readers of that series are weak and want to be rescued, but then again that is generalizing and condescending - a two-fer for yours truly.  Beyond all the vampire stuff, it is a campy version of Romeo & Juliet sort-of - and really no one can top Shakespeare so if you've read his works, everything else seems a little dull. 

Blargh. I'm so annoyed by those girls.
"LOOK AT ME I'M SO CUTE I'M SO SMALL PROTECT MEEEEE"
Uhm, what. Most girls -that I know- behave like that. I can't take them seriously. :/
Aaanndd sad truth, most guys (again, that I know personally ;P) fall for that.

... okay, probably I'm just saying things like that cause I'm nowhere near "small and cute". If I speak at all, I'm loud and weird. Although I have a heckload of insecurities, I would never want to be looked after by someone who puts himself on a higher level than me. Bah.
I cannot understand people who'd do that.

After a break of being a bookworm, I am once again reading lots again, and I feel it would be shameful for me not to read those books. Just so I know what the hype is all about.
Yup, that's why I read it aswell. I wanted to know what I'm talking about when topic comes to Twilight.

Although I have to admit I'm a sucker for anything romantic ...
XD, same, in a way, but still... Twilight... too much... urgh.
Needs more depth. Way. More.

Also, it's kind of weird. Among my friends and all those people at school I've always been the bookworm, the one who'd always read whenever there was a chance, and now, whenever we get reading tasks at school, I simply don't do them, can't concentrate on them or whatever (and some of them are really interersting books!), while everyone else seems to get along fine. Huh. Things change. >_>

... I'm getting WAY too Off-Topic, right? :/

sup.
  • My Website [german]

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 12:09:53 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
1.) Girlfriend
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 01:42:34 am »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
1.) Girlfriend
I don't think your parents can give you that.

You could hook up with me if you're willing to settle for something....different.

I can teach you how to play the bagpipe. For a fee, of course.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 01:47:25 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
QUIT MAKING ME BI-CURIOUS ;-;!!!! That's mammy's job ;-;!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 01:49:35 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
1.)  The annihilation of Christmas.
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 05:33:43 am »
But you'll all be pleased to know that Anthony Horowitz and Sue Townsend's latest Adrian Mole book is also on the list. I used to adore the Adrian Mole books (they are far far farrrr from anything like Twilight, nothing fantasy-like or romantic about them)
The Adrian Mole books are hilarious, though I think I've only read like two of them. How many is there? I'm sort of a book worm I suppose though lately I've only been reading mostly very specific things you know just the most classiest and well written *cough*maybeactuallyjuststarwarsandclivecusslerwithsomeisaacassimovthrownin*cough* Though I just read "The Kite Runner", that was for school though and every good book is ruined by school it's like when people go off explaining jokes, and they're not funny afterward. I also recently read "The Shack", and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" which were both interesting.

Anyway on to the actual topic at hand for christmas I want a pony and some ice skates as well as a blue choo-choo train. Or maybe just a blue chu-chu then I could get blue potion :O
I don't really want that much for Christmas though, now that I have a job I just buy the stuff I really want. Though I would like a Ukulele tuner, maybe another Ukulele to. One with a pickup. Also I want a bandsaw... and TIG Welder... and a pony
I made a thing! Please try the thing, it's what the kids are calling a "vidja game" for the iOS Splashy Bucket
  • Fictitious Spoon Productions
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 06:16:46 am »
I'm getting an XBox 360 and the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series box set. The only reason I'm able to get such expensiveness is because it's a combined Christmas/birthday gift. All I got for my birthday was Sweeney Todd on DVD, which cost about $10, so yeah.

I'm also hoping to get the Dr. Horrible DVD, which is supposed to be available in a few days. I still have to ask about that one.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 04:47:26 pm »
The Adrian Mole books are hilarious, though I think I've only read like two of them. How many is there? I'm sort of a book worm I suppose though lately I've only been reading mostly very specific things you know just the most classiest and well written *cough*maybeactuallyjuststarwarsandclivecusslerwithsomeisaacassimovthrownin*cough* Though I just read "The Kite Runner", that was for school though and every good book is ruined by school it's like when people go off explaining jokes, and they're not funny afterward. I also recently read "The Shack", and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" which were both interesting.

Ohmygosh! Someone else who knows Adrian Mole! There are 5 and I think a new one has just come out. I'd like to get the new one for Christmas.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a book I've read too. I found it a bit confusing ... and strange.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 05:21:45 pm »
  • :3

Ohmygosh! Someone else who knows Adrian Mole! There are 5 and I think a new one has just come out. I'd like to get the new one for Christmas.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a book I've read too. I found it a bit confusing ... and strange.
I've read that.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 06:33:39 pm »
  • *whistle*
Didn't like it. Partly for the "damage" it causes - people tend to assume from a single example of an ASD character that "oh all Autistics are this way" or "I'm kind of like that I must be Autistic".

Also I found the narrative a bit dull

But seriously, how many people have watched Rainman and gone "Oh, all autistics must be numerical savants who are very good at cards!" Okay I'm very good at cards but that's memory, not numerical ability

Same applies to Mr. Curious Dog. Seriously, the number of people who have come up to me and been like "Oh I just read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" and been like "so does such and such apply to you?" and my general response has been: "So, because you read a book with a fictional character who has a developmental disorder that is labelled as being under the same umbrella as my developmental disorder, you assume I share significant traits with said fictional character even though the character is in no way based on me personally and I have not, as a person, been significantly affected by the novel in which he appears."
"... yes?"

It's so incredibly insulting to be told by people that they think they can generalise your personality based on a their interpretation of someone they've never met; ignoring any inaccuracy of portrayal of the condition in the book (and there are some - to an extent), it's basically telling someone that they are defined by the conditions that affect them, not them as person.

Argh.

tl;dr version: I dislike the novel because it encourages society to judge all ASD people based on a single archetype.
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Didn't like it. Partly for the "damage" it causes - people tend to assume from a single example of an ASD character that "oh all Autistics are this way" or "I'm kind of like that I must be Autistic".

Also I found the narrative a bit dull

But seriously, how many people have watched Rainman and gone "Oh, all autistics must be numerical savants who are very good at cards!" Okay I'm very good at cards but that's memory, not numerical ability

Same applies to Mr. Curious Dog. Seriously, the number of people who have come up to me and been like "Oh I just read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" and been like "so does such and such apply to you?" and my general response has been: "So, because you read a book with a fictional character who has a developmental disorder that is labelled as being under the same umbrella as my developmental disorder, you assume I share significant traits with said fictional character even though the character is in no way based on me personally and I have not, as a person, been significantly affected by the novel in which he appears."
"... yes?"

It's so incredibly insulting to be told by people that they think they can generalise your personality based on a their interpretation of someone they've never met; ignoring any inaccuracy of portrayal of the condition in the book (and there are some - to an extent), it's basically telling someone that they are defined by the conditions that affect them, not them as person.

Argh.

tl;dr version: I dislike the novel because it encourages society to judge all ASD people based on a single archetype.

That's not really the novel's fault, it's the general inability of people to see individuals rather than groups.  Tisky-tisky, stupid narrow-minded humans.  *imma shakin' mah fish*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 76 queries.

anything