Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not to make another "Halo is overrated" thread...  (Read 1995 times)

Not to make another "Halo is overrated" thread.....
« on: October 01, 2007, 03:25:37 am »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
...but why the hell is it that every time Halo does something that we've already seen before, people act like it's all new. I'm talking about The Forge. Remember back when Halo 2 came out, and everyone was soooo excited about dual-wielding? Something that has been around for well over a decade? This is pretty much the same thing. Halo 3's Forge is nothing but a watered-down map editor. We've already seen that a million times, in much better incarnations. Why is everybody acting like this is a really cool new idea? It's nothing special.
Halo sure is hyped to death. I hope now that's it has wrapped up, the Halo fanboys will realize that there are other games in the world. It's a good game, but not the mind-blowing orgasm from the future that people make it out to be.

(NOTE: Before you start yelling at me for not owning a 360, I'd like you to know that I used the power of my friends and system linking to play Halo all weekend in my house. Yes, my friends and their X-boxs lived with me this weekend. Boo-yah.)
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Not to make another "Halo is overrated" thre...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 04:16:26 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol I own a 360 and Halo 3, and I whole heartedly agree XD...

The forge is fun to mess around with though; but for petes sake, I wanna add flying vehicles to those maps! and it wont let me!. >_< its lame

Nebetsu

Harbinger
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 02:18:45 pm »
Exactly. It's a fun game, but all it does is rip off pretty much every shooter before it. Soldier of Fortune, Doom, Prey (play through it, you'll see it), etc.

There's really nothing new about it and it doesn't "change the way we look at gaming" at all.

• Yiddish Nebbish
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:43:45 pm »
Beuz its Halo man. Halo is like da best gaem evar made! Dont diss it man.
I'll admit Halo is a great game. But theres nothing Original (bar the story) about it.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 03:53:24 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
i play it at my buddies house, and although its a kick ass FPS, its nothing new or overly stunning.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 05:58:35 pm »
Halo would be more original if it was on the Wii, obviously.
- Click to go to thread
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 06:00:24 pm »
  • *whistle*
Halo is an incredibly slick and awesome FPS, but has very little in terms of "original achievements". Nonetheless, it's one of the finest console FPS games ever.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 06:10:10 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Well, Halo does it's job: It's entertaining and has a good story with great gameplay.
No, it doesn't have all these innovative stuff; it doesn't need that. Works good as it is.

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 06:30:29 pm »
What doesn't need innovation?  One of the reasons I don't much like OoT or TP is because they did things already done in the LoZverse.  TWW did, too, but to a much lesser extent.
- Click to go to thread
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 07:54:10 pm »
  • n___n
It's cool because it's on a CONSOLE. It's not common to have map editors on console games as in depth as forge. Now that's not saying it's revolutionary, but because millions of people play Halo 3, it opens up tons of new possibilites and it's fun to create, share and download maps.
yo yo yo

araknid_kid@yahoo.com = email and MSN
HellsExecutionR = AIM
araknidude = XBox Live gamertag
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 08:02:06 pm »
Halo 3 does not suck,but it is not epic either.  To me, it just is a finisher for a decent saga.  The graphics to me looked like beefed up Halo 2 graphics.  Online is just a damn respawn fest.  You are in a game for like 5 seconds and you die.  The single player was fine but not awe inspiring.

OFF-TOPIC:What the hell is Bungie going to do now?  Besides that Halo Wars !@#$%...and the Marathon XBOX Live port....
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 08:03:29 pm »
Halo 3 does not suck,but it is not epic either.  To me, it just is a finisher for a decent saga.  The graphics to me looked like beefed up Halo 2 graphics.  Online is just a damn respawn fest.  You are in a game for like 5 seconds and you die.  The single player was fine but not awe inspiring.

OFF-TOPIC:What the hell is Bungie going to do now?  Besides that Halo Wars !@#$%...and the Marathon XBOX Live port....
They'll come up with some new Halo stuff soon, since they make allot money with it.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 08:06:01 pm »
  • *whistle*
It's cool because it's on a CONSOLE. It's not common to have map editors on console games as in depth as forge. Now that's not saying it's revolutionary, but because millions of people play Halo 3, it opens up tons of new possibilites and it's fun to create, share and download maps.

Timesplitters. Specifically Timesplitters 2, but I hear Future Perfect also had an incredible mapmaker. And, no, not a map editor. Timesplitters had a map-maker where you could make incredibly detailed maps - going right down to things like lighting, windows, doors, single-player mode objectives and enemy behaviour, etc. All fully playable in single and multiplayer mode.

Until I see anything better than that in a console game, I will not be impressed by any claims at "map editing".
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 08:35:58 pm »

Far Cry had an excellent Map Editor, Timesplitters series too. Pariah, I could list more. But am too lazy. What I'm getting at, is they all were for consoles, and they too had indepth map editors.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 08:39:59 pm »
  • =/
 Innovation is not always key, sometimes doing what those have done before can have a bigger impact then doing something new. (For example; Becoming gay. Innovative, yes but logical; no.)

=/ I never really thought of Forge as a map editor... more as a gametype. If you ever get the time, invite 8 friends into a Forge game; crazy !@#$% happens. (Especially if you have ever respawning explosives raining over the map.)

Also, for an actual map maker/editor; get Far Cry. I loved playing with the map maker in it.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 08:44:33 pm »
  • :D
Forge is *technically* a gametype AND editor.  You can play some awesome games WHILE using forge... it's very cool-- you can drop weapons right in front of people, etc. 

But who gives a !@#$% about innovation; it's fun, and you're jealous :P

EDIT:  By the way no, it's not the "mind-blowing orgasm from the future that people make it out to be", but the reason people think that is because of BRILLIANT ADVERTISING.  Seriously, I've never seen anything advertised so well; They have some fantastic commercials, manage to release new "halo 3 news" almost every day, they have a soft drink, a ferris wheel, billboards, and every type of advertising possible.  Not to mention they dominated the word of mouth... Best advertising ever.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:47:10 pm by Limey »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 05:15:26 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Halo would be more original if it was on the Wii, obviously.

:P it coulda been, if Bungie wasnt bought out by MS in 2000 lol... Since Halo 1 was a Mac specific game, that probably would have been ported to consoles later on in its life span had microsoft not bought out bungie... <_<
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 72 queries.