Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: About 100 C++ classes later..  (Read 3990 times)

Re: About 100 C++ classes later..
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 07:25:08 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Oh god, that popping-in-of-textures is annoying in games. Makes me miss the long elevator rides in Halo (as I understand it, the game uses 'dull zones' like that to actually load the next area :)).
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 07:38:38 pm »
Technically, they're still doing popping-in-of-textures, they're just doing it in a way which you don't have to see it :P
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 07:44:47 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Technically, they're still doing popping-in-of-textures, they're just doing it in a way which you don't have to see it :P

I know. Still, I have to question the sanity of an industry nowadays, and gamers, that can tolerate such a thing in cutscenes. I'd gladly have an extra second of darkness personally compared to blank models slowly becoming more detailed until about half-way through the actually thing (I'm looking at you, Halo 2) :P
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 12:48:59 am »
Honestly, I'd rather stare at a loading screen for a bit longer, to allow the textures to load. Speaking of loading screens, I hate ones that have a 'loading bar', and it fills up completely, yet I still sit there staring at it. All I can help think is "Obviously not."
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 02:55:22 am »
Honestly, I'd rather stare at a loading screen for a bit longer, to allow the textures to load. Speaking of loading screens, I hate ones that have a 'loading bar', and it fills up completely, yet I still sit there staring at it. All I can help think is "Obviously not."
Perhaps they delay it on purpose, to show you've reached 100% :P
Creating a Loading Screen would be pretty easy to do though, adding a progress bar to that may prove to be a little difficult however >_> <_<
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 03:02:35 am »
Why so? Create a script to measure how much resources will load, then have the bar fill at...
Resources Loaded
Resources that will load.
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 03:55:06 am »
Why so? Create a script to measure how much resources will load, then have the bar fill at...
Resources Loaded

Try to think of it this way.  You're trying to find the length of a string, the string ends with a null character, to find the length of the string you have to traverse one time to get the actual length, then a second time to actually allocate the string in memory, therefore you've effectively performed the same action twice.
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 04:07:44 am »
Quote from: Reo   link=topic=25976.msg295962#msg295962 date=1210042955
Resources Loaded

Try to think of it this way.  You're trying to find the length of a string, the string ends with a null character, to find the length of the string you have to traverse one time to get the actual length, then a second time to actually allocate the string in memory, therefore you've effectively performed the same action twice.

Regardless, I'd rather just look at a static screen that says 'loading', or some fancy animated thing (Katamari, etc.) until it's ready to go. I dislike progress bars being full and I'm still waiting on it to load.
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 06:11:06 pm »
  • If not now, when?
If you don't want to implement a progress bar then consider adding some kind of feedback to the loading process to let the user know that your program is actually doing something. Add a small piece of text at the bottom for instance that changes.. "Loading Model Data...", "Loading Texture Resources...", etc.

..And definitely give them something (preferably interesting) to look at while it is loading.
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 10:17:28 pm »
If you don't want to implement a progress bar then consider adding some kind of feedback to the loading process to let the user know that your program is actually doing something. Add a small piece of text at the bottom for instance that changes.. "Loading Model Data...", "Loading Texture Resources...", etc.

..And definitely give them something (preferably interesting) to look at while it is loading.

Yeah, that can be useful to you as well, so you can identify any possible problem areas when loading.
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
ATI RADEON HD 2600PRO 512MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z
Windows XP SP2

Current Projects: None.
- Trask
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 07:24:17 pm »
I started working on this today, there isn't much to it at the moment though, it'll just tell you what class is being processed at the time, I will probably enhance this further later on to provide more information.  I was able to find and fix a few bugs related to how I load resources which is good too (got textures working!).  I won't bother with a screenshot this time though as there isn't much worth showing :P

I'm thinking now might be a good time to start working on a game, if only a simple one that utilises what I've done so far.. or perhaps I'm rushing it, I don't know..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 56 queries.