Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mapping the Overworld  (Read 19844 times)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: Mapping the Overworld
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 01:33:18 am »
So do we make one account for all of ZFGC? Because that would kinda put the graphics section in the garbage.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2009, 01:34:20 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Why don't you just ask Infini for some space?

I'm sure he'd give the CP a sub-domain or something.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2009, 01:39:36 am »
  • RyuKage2007
that might work.
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2009, 03:27:25 pm »
BEHOLD! I don't think it will cover everything, but I did collect many things over the years. It hasn't been updated with newer things either like Miles' item sheet. Last time anything was added to it may have been...idk, December?

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mmwt22ujydj

(Forgot the link)
^what about that? isn't that the ripped graphics from most of the areas?

EDIT: heres a map of all the overworld stuff that we need done:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5346/lamcoutlinemapk.png
and heres a map of all the underworld stuff (excluding tail cave):
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4892/lamcoutlinemaphouses.png

The black outlined areas are accessible without a sword the red outlined areas are only accessible with the sword. The squares are 320x256 so if you want we could update that with the rooms as we make them.

Nice maps, can serve pretty well as checklists. But let's focus first. There are a few questions that still need answers.

1) What program do we use to make the maps?
2) What file format do we make the maps and tilesheets in?
3) Where can we dump the ripped resources?

For question 1, Infin had offered to make a map editor, but I don't know if he is still interested and willing to do it. Additionally from what I've seen on the forum Xfixium has an 'Ocarina Room Editor' and Windy also has been working on a Map Editor. With these I don't know how usable they are. Jeod and I have been using GIMP in the past to work on a Koholinth LttP style. We code use that or Paint.NET, Photoshop or another graphics tool.

2) Will be mostly dependent on the first question, but if there are options. I would suggest JPEG, because it is smaller than BMP and I thought to have read somewhere that Gamemaker still has some trouble.

3) Is more address to site staff. But we could also make a separate topic for collecting ripped tiles. Or has someone some webspace.

1. There will have to be stronger communication on this one. If the easiest way to do it is use GM and merge the rooms together than so be it. I think Infini suggested a room maker, but I don't think he meant he was going to create one. Although that would be swell. I personally have another room editor kinda like Ore that I'm working on, but more advanced. It's hardware accelerated, allows for many many more layers, and can export a project file directly to any GM project. Thus we could make a room with it and just hand it over to staff to export at anytime. It's just not finished. Also, Windy could have a card up his sleeve with his map editor.

2. jpg is right out. Yes it is smaller on disk, but as was pointed out, is a "lossy" format. To make things easy, .png should be the one and only image format we use.
Mine too is unfinished, unfortunately and I'm in the process of moving my code around, making it more organised.  :(
Once it's done though it'll be kick ass.  Although it doesn't have support for game maker, that can be added in through plugins and scripts.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
Sounds pretty cool Windy :). So where do we go at this point? We could start mapping in GM or ORE (whichever people are more comfortable with) until someone has a mapping program up and running.

Why don't you just ask Infini for some space?

I'm sure he'd give the CP a sub-domain or something.
Anyone up for asking Infini about that? I would but I'd have no idea how to ask or what specifically to ask for...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:31:03 pm by RyuKage2007 »
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2009, 01:33:20 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Sounds pretty cool Windy :). So where do we go at this point? We could start mapping in GM or ORE (whichever people are more comfortable with) until someone has a mapping program up and running.

I've never tried ORE, but mapping in Game Maker is terrible IMO (even though that's the engine the game is being made in). I'd suggest waiting off for a bit or finding another temporary mapping program for now :x

I wonder if Infini would be fine releasing the map editor he made for LACOOP (I'm expecting a "ugh the coding in that was so terrible I want to recode it from scratch" respond from him). I'm sure the tilesets could be used in that and mapped fine, unless he made it specifically for LACOOP.

I found it really easy to map in.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2009, 01:39:13 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
i don't see too much wrong with GM's room editor but I haven't tried much else so compared to all the other ones with tons of features it probably is pretty bad. I haven't use ORE too much but it seems pretty good. The LACOOP mapper is worth a try, you should ask him about it.
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2009, 01:59:31 pm »
Where can I find this ORE?

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2009, 02:21:43 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
Heres a link (not sure if its the newest version though):
http://www.pyxosoft.com/downloads/ocarina_room_editor_200.zip

And a cautionary post from Xfixium:

I must warn anyone who decides to use it for their own projects that it is a beta, and needs some testing on it's stability when exporting rooms to GM projects. I recommend you back up any game data before using.
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2009, 04:29:14 pm »
There are plenty of choices that we could use temporarily, the only thing we would have to do is just tile them again in whatever solution we come up with.

The main advantage of using an external editor would be in the object handling as if you were to map it in game maker, you wouldn't be able to place objects until after the files are merged into the main build, otherwise you would end up with duplicates.

Not really having looked at GMarc or Infini's editor it would be hard to say which would be the best option.  I'm already biased towards mine, mainly due to features that I have in planning for it.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2009, 04:37:08 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
Well, I think for now we should keep things simple and use GM, at least until you or Xfixium finish your programs.

Also, should I start a sprite topic? That way I can try to get together some character sprites while we work out the mapping programs and the tiles.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:39:13 pm by RyuKage2007 »
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2009, 08:06:31 pm »
Well, we could say that everyone can use the editor they like as long as they keep to the other guidelines. But I wonder if that doesn't give color issues in the end.

RyuKage2007: I already told you earlier, that it is fine to make a topic about the necessary NPC's or enemies. But just be carefull how you are going at it. NPC's (Mr Wright, Syrup, Marin and Tarin) that have an equivalent  in MC should probably be ripped and not recolored.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2009, 08:16:12 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
sorry, hadn't realized you said that. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get ahead of things again. I'll get that all set then. Some of the characters from MC are similar yes but some of them may need recolors/edits to be more like the actual characters, like the sprites for syrup earlier, they were ripped from MC then recolored to match syrup from LA.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:45:13 pm by RyuKage2007 »
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

tcmathews

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2009, 07:30:26 am »
I heard something about the tail cave map being done, am I right? Can somebody point me to its direction? May use it for a DS homebrew or something...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 65 queries.