Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HD Custom Tiles (64x64)  (Read 9357 times)

HD Custom Tiles (64x64)
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:20:37 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Hey, it's been a while since the last time I posted some graphics in here!
I guess I'll start by showing you today's work:

Current:

Ex-Current:

Oldest:

A simple bridge in a cartoony style. Watcha think? :) I haven't worked on the grass yet, nor the water, they're just placeholders. Just made those tiles very quickly so I could insert the bridge somewhere. :p
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:47:34 pm by Darunia »

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime
Re: HD Custom Tiles (64x64)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:37:22 pm »
It looks really good, but still unfinished.

1) At the end where the bridge touches the land, you could add some poles to represent the bridgeentrance/exit. Also A bridge has to be held up to prevent it from dropping into water, but it might look as if under each board is a pole. I'm not sure.

2) I don't know if this is a bridge from where you can jump in the water. If not, then a barricading railing might be nice. Which also requires poles at the beginning and end.

3) If you're going to make them bigger than it would be nice if there is a bit more detail. Not every board is perfectly straight. Play with some darker colors to make the illusion of relief on top and make some bumps and pits in the sides of the boards. Even in a cartoony style these things are present.

4) I found 1 graphical error. At least I think it is a graphical error, but you could have intended it so.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 02:28:35 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Thanks, Niek, that's exactly the kind of criticism I wanted to hear! :D

I wish I had the time to work on it right now, but I'll stop by tonight and work on it.
I'll just say, some of those 'graphical errors' are intentional, some aren't. But I'm glad you noticed. ;P

[UPDATE] HD Custom Tiles (64x64)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:54:58 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Okay, I just got here, time for an update!

Still haven't really worked on those  bumps you were talking about and relief, but I did work on the poles and railing. What do you think? There are stil lots of errors on this one, more than on the last one I think.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 10:34:36 am »
  • Fight the Power
Again, another update.

Just started again from scratch, copy-pasting some bits. :p
I tried adding those bumps, I just really can't figure it out though. :S It looked weird.
Anyways, does it seam cleaner? Or, does it seem to tiny for a 64x64 tile? I've been thinking about it, these look like 16x16s. Maybe I should make them bigger? What are your thoughts?

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 12:34:54 pm »
Again, another update.

Just started again from scratch, copy-pasting some bits. :p
I tried adding those bumps, I just really can't figure it out though. :S It looked weird.
Nice update. I could take a look later, about adding some relief to the boards. But it is mostly about shading. That is if you don't mind me tinkering with your graphic.

Anyways, does it seam cleaner? Or, does it seem to tiny for a 64x64 tile? I've been thinking about it, these look like 16x16s. Maybe I should make them bigger? What are your thoughts?

Sorry, but you're a bit to fuzzy on this for me. Could you elaborate a bit on what is wrong with the size of the tile.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:45:51 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Nice update. I could take a look later, about adding some relief to the boards. But it is mostly about shading. That is if you don't mind me tinkering with your graphic.
Thanks. Of course I don't mind you editing them, I'd be more than glad if you did.

Sorry, but you're a bit to fuzzy on this for me. Could you elaborate a bit on what is wrong with the size of the tile.
Basicly, this:
3) If you're going to make them bigger than it would be nice if there is a bit more detail.
I feel like right now they don't really look any bigger than alttp tiles. I'm not sure about this, though. I'll try making them 2 times their current size but keeping them 64x64 and see how that goes. I'll post a pic as soon as I'm done.

Also, I'm currently just trying to get the style right. When I feel it's good enough, I'll be making other tiles, houses and whatnot.

Edit: Oh crap, I just noticed some of the outlines are completely black, they should be dark grey. XD I'll fix this before the next update.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:05:31 pm by Darunia »

[UPDATE 3] HD Custom Tiles (64x64)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:37:49 pm »
  • Fight the Power
I tried to make the tiles a bit bigger, 2x. This is what came out:

I personally like it alot more than the other ones. It's cleaner, simplier and there's more space for anti-aliasing, this means I can give them more detail than I could before... which isn't pretty useful since they're cartoony. :P

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:49:48 pm »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
Looks good, but it's very unfinished, and needs a fair bit of texture to make it look good (flat colors on HD tiles don't look good).

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:53:46 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Thank you. Yep, it's unfinished. I've just been playing around with a concept, just trying to define the style I'll be using for the whole tileset. This is why it doesn't have much detail yet, I don't want to waste time texturing it if I'm gonna start another one again from scratch. I'll try texturing this one, though, because I feel it's getting pretty close to what I want it to be. Thanks for your reply. :)

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 08:56:04 pm »
Wow, that's one of the biggest bridge tile spites i've seen.. Looks pretty good though, just get those details in! =D
Hm... I should probably put something here...
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 08:58:54 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Wow, that's one of the biggest bridge tile spites i've seen..
Haha, that's the whole point! Being original! :D
Looks pretty good though, just get those details in! =D
Thanks alot. I'm working on it. :)

Edit: Ugh.... I just noticed I don't know how to add textures at all! Any help? :S

My attempt at 'texturing':

It looks like !@#$%! :(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:05:57 pm by Darunia »

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 01:14:25 am »
Hm.. try making more a woody liney-grainy type of thing?
Hm... I should probably put something here...
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 01:15:40 am »
Who says you need more detail? I like simpler looking graphics in games, far more than over-detailed ones.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 01:45:15 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
I'm liking these tiles a LOT... almost reminiscent of Link to the Past. I would draw from how they went about doing wood grain on... wood. If you don't mind, I'll show you what I mean. Not gonna do it until I get consent though. Keep up the good work!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 08:06:21 am »
  • Fight the Power
Hm.. try making more a woody liney-grainy type of thing?
The problem is, I don't want to mess up the anti-aliasing because of texture, I like the curved edge effect it's got. If I add in more details, you won't be able to tell if it's anti-aliasing or just a part of the texture.

Who says you need more detail? I like simpler looking graphics in games, far more than over-detailed ones.
This is what I've been telling myself, it started looking too clustered when I applied the texture everywhere else. Maybe a 'softer' effect might work... softer as in, less obvious.

I'm liking these tiles a LOT... almost reminiscent of Link to the Past. I would draw from how they went about doing wood grain on... wood. If you don't mind, I'll show you what I mean. Not gonna do it until I get consent though. Keep up the good work!
Thanks man! :D Go ahead and edit them if you want, any help is more than welcome.

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 10:25:23 am »
He, I worked on the bridge a bit. I didn't do the entire bridge, but just a few parts of boards to show you what I mean with bumps and relief.
The lower board is a really worn down board.
The upper right is a board that is a bit older, and shows a bit of wear.
The upper left could be considered a relatively new board.

The rinkles on the side show it is wood from a tree and every bit of wood is used. I like the last version really much, but you should add anothe row of tiles with a pole in the water and not on the waters edge. I've also added on one side a diagonal support beam for the bridge for the show. In my opinion the bridge looks a lot more complete that way.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 10:39:28 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
The only thing that bothers me with the bridge is that if you study the lines, and where things should connect, it forms a bit of an optical illusion.

Attached is more of an example of what I mean-

The rail and the lower support beams are parallel, right? Well, for that to be true, the posts in the rail going through the floorboards should connect at exactly the same spot on the lower support beam. This however isn't the case, since they end up being wider than the lower support :p If you were to look at it front on, this is how it would look-

_     <rail top
__\  <floor base
_   \ <lower support
   ^doesn't connect.

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 11:28:15 am »
niek, the shadow looks good, but needs to go right to the base of the posts.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 11:55:28 am »
I have adjusted the shadow a bit, which is better: op1 or op2?

Edit: I've done all the boards of the bridge with a bit more bumps. Some look really worn and some look new. I deleted the shadow because I didn't know which to use and therefore the position of the sun.

Personally I like the 2nd board from the left the best. Has some natural feel to it, that it is wood and not plastic looking like wood. And it isn't cluttered, leaving a really simple design.

Basicly, this:
3) If you're going to make them bigger than it would be nice if there is a bit more detail.
I feel like right now they don't really look any bigger than alttp tiles. I'm not sure about this, though. I'll try making them 2 times their current size but keeping them 64x64 and see how that goes. I'll post a pic as soon as I'm done.

SO you want to try to make them 128x128. ALttP and MC both have a tile size of 16X16. Making them 64x64 is 16 times bigger. Making them 128x128 is 64 times bigger. I think a tile size of 64x64 is a good size. But it all depends on what resolution for the screen you want it to be. I'm not sure but I thought ALttP and MC had a resolution of about 320x256.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:57:01 pm by Niek »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 75 queries.

anything