Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion : Steam Zelda?  (Read 5776 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Discussion : Steam Zelda?
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:58:15 pm »
I've been playing Zelda all day and feel like making a smaller Zelda fan game. Something to work on during my final university year when I have nothing to do.

Now I had a thought. Zelda has always been known for it's primitive technology and we love it for it so making Zelda futuristic would be dum. But what about steam technology? Now thinking about it seems dum but when you look at some steampunk art like this

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/273/5/a/steam_link_by_daltair-d2zt1wl.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/054/6/6/clockwork_zelda_by_spi_ritual_ity-d36uyno.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/059/e/1/steampunk_zelda_cast_sketch_2_by_spi_ritual_ity-d3anp7p.jpg

It does seem like having a steam powered Hyrule could work. But of course not as technology advanced as the art in the links. Now we all know that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks failed to make this happen as it was purely for transport. But I think it could be redeemed.

What are your thoughts on a Steam Zelda?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:39:05 pm by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
Re: Discussion : Steam Zelda?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 03:15:03 am »
  • Minalien
To hell with "not as technologically advanced as the art in the links," that's some of the most awesome !@#$% I've seen in ages! XD

I love Steampunk settings, so it could be interesting enough if the right people were to work on it.

Just as a side note, though: you may want to brush up on your spelling before you finish school.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:14:55 am »
Oh cool. What did I mispell anyway?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:25:59 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Oh cool. What did I mispell anyway?
"dum" should be "dumb" and "mispell" should be "misspell", but it really doesn't matter because it's still readable and a lot of people make spelling/grammar errors so thars rally na reson to pont out thems. ;3

As far as steampunk Zelda goes, that sounds like it could be good if done right. Just like pretty much any idea, if you go about it right, it will work great. Just like a future Zelda would work great or terribly, depending on how you went about it.

Personally, I think a lot of steampunk stuff often ends up bland to the eyes because there usually aren't enough color variations or simply just not enough vivid colors for the eyes to be entertained by. You see a lot of rust or brown copper-like colors, wood colors, iron colors.. that's about it. Any other colors, like reds or greens are usually very dark and bland. Some people like that style, but I just feel like it becomes boring very quickly. Almost like Borderlands (not including DLC), it's mostly that boring looking desert land, and that's kind of how I feel about a lot of steampunk that I've seen. (don't get me wrong, I do love borderlands)

I've gotta say though, as long as it would be like a lot of steampunk that I've seen from various FF games, it would be pretty dang awesome. If you decide to make a steampunk Zelda, I would recommend that you keep the colors visually interesting, and you'd have to put some extra effort into making some sick steampunk contraptions and machinery with lots of moving parts, steam blowing everywhere, and sounds of gears and steam are also key to make the steampunk aspect feel complete.

Last thing: Whenever I have an idea, I usually go find a well done professional work that I can get inspiration from as well as study to see what makes it good. If you do that, you can be more informed and your project will benefit from doing so (or you can read boring how-to's). I recommend looking up a lot of good steampunk drawings and definitely some steampunk anime movies. There are a few animated steampunk movies out there, but for some reason I can't think of any names right now. Anyway, anime is always a good source of inspiration and genius in my opinion. ;3
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:27:46 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 07:34:18 am »
Well that's why I'm using the LTTP simple palette as it always has vibrant colours. Even the browns.

As for machinary, I do have some ideas. For example, the Gorons will have a cable car system to get up and down the mountain. I'll be asking the community for ideas on machinary more later.

I've already decided the number of dungeons, the sidequests, the bosses, etc. I'm making a new sprite style for this game.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 07:37:09 am »
Personally, I think a lot of steampunk stuff often ends up bland to the eyes because there usually aren't enough color variations or simply just not enough vivid colors for the eyes to be entertained by. You see a lot of rust or brown copper-like colors, wood colors, iron colors.. that's about it. Any other colors, like reds or greens are usually very dark and bland. Some people like that style, but I just feel like it becomes boring very quickly. Almost like Borderlands (not including DLC), it's mostly that boring looking desert land, and that's kind of how I feel about a lot of steampunk that I've seen. (don't get me wrong, I do love borderlands)
A recent game with a steampunkish setting is bastion, they seem to handle art and colours very well.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 08:18:57 am »
Well the colours are defo colours well. I'm working on Link's sprite sheet today for fun
  • Phoenix Heart

Sinkin

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 09:05:09 am »
  • Idk
This sounds like a cool idea. My only concern is how you will be making the sprites so they fit the artwork, if you need help with making sprites, don't be afraid to ask me. I would love to help.  :)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:10:53 am »
Have a look at the sprites yourself. I decided to do a cross breed of GB and LTTP to make a new sprite style

EDIT: I've decided the items for the game. To keep in tone with steampunk, most of them are transformed into new items. But there are a few new items.

Bombs -> Bombs
Bow -> Repeating Crossbow (Does more than shoot bolts now)
Hammer -> Hammer
Hookshot -> Clawshot (Does more than grapple now)
Fire Rod -> Burner
Cannon
Lens of Truth -> Lens of Truth
Spinner -> Spinner (Does more than cling to walls now)

Feedback?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:50:17 pm by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 10:35:49 pm »
hmm remember that in TP the Gorons are already steampunk-ish, perhaps they will be even more advanced in this game? since everyone is steampunk they should be alittle or alot more advanced in technology haha, just an idea :), from those images I really loved the first one ;D!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:18 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I'm going to be very honest. I don't really like the sprites you came up with. I'm not so sure a mix of GB and ALttP is a great idea. And, if you're going to do black outlines, I think the characters should be more "puffy" otherwise the black lines overcome the actual details of the sprite and it ends up looking like a mess. If you want to make the proportions look more natural (as opposed to puffy), you're probably going to want to go bigger with the sprite res. I could be totally wrong though, it's just what my eyes are seeing. I don't know a lot about spriting properly.

However, if you just want to fix up the sprites you already have, here is my more than slightly less than professional advice: :P
I think you could try to make the head not so flat on top. Also, when walking up/down, the foot and leg movement need to be more discernible; it's difficult to see what's moving which way because the detail doesn't allow for proper focus on the right aspects of the animation, as far as the leg movement goes. Leg movement sideways looks good enough though.
Furthermore, for sideways movement, when his arm is extended all the way back or forward, I think you should see the hand pop out a little bit from behind him on the other side. At the moment, it almost seems like he only has one arm when viewed from the side. Finally, I think the feet look a little rough with the outlining. I've been there before and it can be tough to keep proportions and to keep them from looking awkward. They are okay, but you might want to try to touch them up a bit if at all possible. I think it might just be that the bottom of Link's feet need to be flat instead of rounded, so you might want to try making them flat on the bottom.

My brutally honest opinion, however, is that you should start over. I'm not trying to be mean. If I wanted to be mean, I would just tell you that they were great sprites. I'm just trying to help you become a better spriter. For some people, it's easy to sprite, for others it takes a lot of hard work and practice with trial and error. As for me, I used to utterly suck at spriting, but I've practiced quite a lot and now I'd like to say that I can get by fairly well (though I'm still not very good, unfortunately). Just keep at it, listen to the advice of people like SinkinDevil, and you'll have some good lookin sprites to be proud of.
  • My Music

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 11:56:00 pm »
Dunno what to say really. I worded the style wrong. I didn't mean a cross breed of GB and LTTP. I was meaning to say the size of GB but LTTP coloured. Won't be GB tiles and such coloured LTTP.

The rounded feet thing is purely when Link is in the air and nothing else. When he is on the ground you won't see it.

Front leg movement has always been a weakness of mine. I can't get my head round it. I'd like some help with the sprite style.

Black lines is kinda a meh point. I don't honestly know what I can do make the outlines but also make them look puffy. If anyone can figure out how to I'll happily open my ears.

The arm sticking out on the side movement. I completely forgot about it. I can edit that easily.

Regarding proportions, I'm NOT trying to keep proportions. I've always kept my games in proportion but this time I decided to hell with it, let's see what I can do without. Obviously I do need to sort out the side view feet. The adding the toes was an experimental thing. I can remove it if you think it'll make it better.

I'm not offended in anyway. I've seen way more worse. But here's a good question. Isn't there always critism with new sprite style?

Also, that was quite a lot of text and I don't know if I got it all down. Would you mind giving me a list of feedback? I'd really appreciate it

(Also, regarding starting over, it's not the end of the world if it comes to that but the new style must be within 16x24 pixels. I need to practice for my final year project)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:01:27 am by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 06:08:18 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
...Also, that was quite a lot of text and I don't know if I got it all down. Would you mind giving me a list of feedback? I'd really appreciate it ...
Yeah sorry, I do tend to be wordy on forums. The only thing you seemed to have missed was when I said Link's head was too flat on top. Everything else you have mentioned in the above post.

Yeah, I guess there is always criticism with new sprite styles, I'm just too nice of a guy, so I'm always careful not to make people feel bad. Heck, sometimes I even apologize for being too nice.. but that's just to make girls laugh and they really like it when I do that, if you know what I mean, heh heh. >;3
  • My Music

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 09:01:05 am »
Ok now the flat headed thing I CAN defend. It needs to be that way as although the metal part of Link's hat stick up, they don't stick up that high. If I made it stick up more it would look dumb

I've taken in the words of wisdom.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I've been working on the armoury today and might I say I'm quite chuffed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:26:48 pm by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 65 queries.