Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda announcement at GDC tomorrow?  (Read 3446 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
Re: Zelda announcement at GDC tomorrow?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 06:12:29 am »
  • Silly cat!
Good riddance, I say.

Okay, so that sentence didn't even make sense, but my point is that I don't want to see another Zelda game in a while. Twilight Princess pretty much confirmed that the series has been going in the same way for a little too long, and it's time to give the franchise a "revamp", "reboot" or "redo". That, and we've received so many Zelda games in the last few years it's not funny. Phantom Hourglass in '07, Twilight Princess in '06, Minish Cap in '05, Four Swords Adventures in '04... I could go on. Point is, we've had a Zelda game every year for the last 7 years, whereas before we had to wait ages and ages. The wait for Ocarina of Time? Friggin' 5 years from Link's Awakening. Zelda games need to be something we can ANTICIPATE, and look forward to with the greatest interest. I think the next real Zelda (not including Tingle and Crossbow games - but they should be scratched too) should most definitely be released in 2011.

Plus, I'd love to see Zelda on some real next-gen hardware (assuming Nintendo make such a choice, but even if it's less powerful it'll still look great). And of course, I'm sure Nintendo have some interesting feature in store for Wii 2, and that feature will be utilized in the new Zelda.

Oh and Pedlya, no offence, but I hope I never see you say that again ;). You know the series is capable of change.

Hoffy.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 12:25:09 pm »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread
Yet, Wind Waker development didn't begin until after Mario Sunshine was released, seeing as it builds on that engine. :(.
Super Mario Sunshine July 19, 2002
Zelda Wind Waker December 13, 2002

Those are JAP release dates, so yeah I highly doubt that it was based of sunshines engine

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. I think the OoT engine was based on SM64, then WW was based on OoT.
That makes even less sense. There's no way they could rework a limited engine like that one to WW level.

Anyway. To mr AntiWaggleJadedFanLupus and Hoffbert:

There will be a Wii Zelda. There will. And they CAN use motion-controls in a good way. I thought the Gimmick Galaxies in Galaxy were pretty damn awesome. I'm sure a bow in Zelda Wii will use the Wiimote as the string. And Sword-fighting won't be anything like in TP-Wii.

No, it'll probably be either deeper, or simpler. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it'll atleast be: Wiimote slash right: Horizontal swipe to the right.

No, it won't be 1:1 but I'm sure they could create the illusion of it being that.

Also, Zelda fans are the most bitching fans in the history of  gaming. Even Final Fantasy 7 fanboys are less annoying :/

Let's see. We get OOT, everyone is all: "OH SEX, AWESOME REALISM!!"
We get Majora's Mask, everyone is all: "OH IT'S TOO SAMEY..ONLY 4 DUNGEONS?..IT'S TOO HARD D: :( TIME LIMIT BAWWW"

Then, they try something different with The Wind Waker, a sea setting, completely different artstyle.

everyone is all: "OH WHAT THE !@#$% POWERPUFF LINK THIS IS STUPID ON SO MANY LEVELS AND OCEAN? I WANT MY OOT BACK BAWWW SPACE WORLD 2001 TECH DEMO BAWWWW ;_;"

THEN, they listen to the fans once more. We get TP. Basically a carbon copy of OOT with better graphics and story.

And just WHAT do people complain about again? "IT'S TOO SIMILAR TO OOT BAWW WE WANTED MORE NEW THINGS EVEN THOUGH WE'RE NEVER SATISFIED, ALSO WHY IS ZANT SO STUPID IN THE END WORST VILLAIN EVER!!111"

Just to clarify: Aonuma (Or Miyamoto, either one) said this: Twilight Princess will be the final Zelda as we know it. Which I hope means "We're through listening to the fans, they clearly don't know what they want anyway, confused little idiots. From now on we're gonna use more fresh ideas and MORE CEL SHADING WHOO."

I </3 Sol
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 12:56:09 pm »
Nintendo should give the next Zelda to Retro, it's something I've been thinking about for a while now and I'm convinced they'd easily do a better job than nintendo ever did.
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 12:58:47 pm »
  • I don't have a life 'cause who wants one?
Thanks for clearing that up dude. Still, I wish Nintendo would say something. :'(
On the matter of the site, I think it is safe to say that the site may be for a fan game or fan film.

No problem, I'm glad I could help. You're probably right about it being for a fan project...my money is on a fan-film. 

Anyway, I see you're new.  Welcome, hopefully you'll have a good time here.  BTW, how did you stumble across the site, (I'm always curious about that when new members sign up)?

heh heh yes I will have a good time here. :D And I found the site by going on another of my google searching rampages. I get bored really easily.  XD
Anyway I hope we learn something today, I will definitely check up on the site after I get back from school. Stupid school................
Signatures are a waste of space............... :)
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 05:09:59 pm »
Nintendo should give the next Zelda to Retro, it's something I've been thinking about for a while now and I'm convinced they'd easily do a better job than nintendo ever did.

Really, Retro Studios?  Don't get me wrong, they're probably Nintendo's best 2nd party developer, (well Monolith Soft is pretty great too), but I've always thought Capcom's Clover Studio would do great things with a new Zelda game.  Clover is nonexistent now so that's impossible, but Okami is the sex.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 06:46:03 pm »

Those are JAP release dates, so yeah I highly doubt that it was based of sunshines engine

Wait...what does that prove? the dates that is.
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 06:55:07 pm »

As it was said Wind Waker is based off Super Mario Sunshine's engine, releasing them with six months apart is kind of ... impossible?
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 06:57:15 pm »

As it was said Wind Waker is based off Super Mario Sunshine's engine, releasing them with six months apart is kind of ... impossible?

Ah right, misread something :P
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 06:58:08 pm »
  • *whistle*

No?

The SMS engine was based on the Mario 64 engine, so it wouldn't have taken long to finish. Moreover, OoT was based on the 64 engine, and there wasn't exactly a huge gap in release dates.

WW could've used the SMS engine, and still started development well before SMS came out.
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 07:34:06 pm »
  • odens knop

Sounds really interesting, and I agree with you.  It seems that Nintendo likes to stick to innovation, just like Retro, but Retro still gives the fans what they want while Nintendo is focusing more on the innovation part.
|LEUS HERTAN MINAT|
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 08:57:16 pm »

Actually its done all the time in the industry, what your assuming here is that they begun with a 'finished build' of the engine, that was released when the game came out. Chances are they got a copy of the engine while SMS was still early in development, and they got updates on the engine as SMS progressed.
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 09:02:40 pm »
  • *whistle*
What the hell with the idea of Retro taking over the Zelda franchise?

How many exceptional games have Retro REALLY done?

To answer my own question, the answer is ONE.

Metroid Prime.

All the sequels were incredibly dull in comparison. Echoes rehashes the ground that Prime covered, while making it simultaneously less interesting, less fun and more difficult, while Corruption completely forgets that it's meant to be a Metroid game, and becomes a generic shooter instead.

I'm sorry, but I'm much more confident with Zelda in Ninty's capable hands.
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 09:20:37 pm »
What the hell with the idea of Retro taking over the Zelda franchise?

How many exceptional games have Retro REALLY done?

To answer my own question, the answer is ONE.

Metroid Prime.

All the sequels were incredibly dull in comparison. Echoes rehashes the ground that Prime covered, while making it simultaneously less interesting, less fun and more difficult, while Corruption completely forgets that it's meant to be a Metroid game, and becomes a generic shooter instead.

I'm sorry, but I'm much more confident with Zelda in Ninty's capable hands.
Sounds like you only played Prime 1.

While I can agree with you to a certain extent on 2, you DEFINITELY didn't play 3.
It's Metroid. Don't judge it on the first hour alone. There's exploration, backtracking, everything.

Oh sorry! I forgot! You have a com-link through the entire game! And there are OTHER Bounty Hunters now?!
WHAT!? YOU INTERACT WITH PEOPLE!?

Also, Retro stays away from my Zelda. I want them to do an original IP :D

And their Pre-Metroid efforts must've been something, why else would Nintendo buy 'em in the first place?

And I'm pretty sure the old Gamecube efforts by Retro were good. How else would Nintendo even consider buying them?

I </3 Sol
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 10:11:43 pm »
  • I don't have a life 'cause who wants one?
Just checked the site, nothing there. So yes it is probably hoax.:'( The least it could have been was a fan project............
Signatures are a waste of space............... :)
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:14 pm »
  • *whistle*
Sounds like you only played Prime 1.

Played all three. Only completed Prime; Echoes was just frustrating at a certain point (you know the one I mean; NINE hidden keys?), and I haven't had the time to complete Corruption.

While I can agree with you to a certain extent on 2, you DEFINITELY didn't play 3.
It's Metroid. Don't judge it on the first hour alone. There's exploration, backtracking, everything.

Oh sorry! I forgot! You have a com-link through the entire game! And there are OTHER Bounty Hunters now?!
WHAT!? YOU INTERACT WITH PEOPLE!?

It forgets what makes a Metroid game: Isolation, building up an arsenal, yes, exploration, but far too much of the game is linear and too much pointless busy work - you have an ability, they make it clear how to use it, and you use it. Done. That's not interesting, it's not fun, and it's certainly not Metroid.

And their Pre-Metroid efforts must've been something, why else would Nintendo buy 'em in the first place?

And I'm pretty sure the old Gamecube efforts by Retro were good. How else would Nintendo even consider buying them?

I don't think Nintendo bought them? They have a contract with them, not quite the same thing. I don't think they did any Gamecube games apart from the two Primes, but I don't know anything about their pre-Prime games.
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 10:34:54 pm »

I don't think Nintendo bought them? They have a contract with them, not quite the same thing. I don't think they did any Gamecube games apart from the two Primes, but I don't know anything about their pre-Prime games.

Yeah, they are a second-party developer, (at least for now).  In regards to their previous games, I don't think they've had anything published besides the Metroid titles.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 10:53:55 pm »
Retro Studios, founded in 1998, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd.

Wholly owned, thus, Nintendo OWNS THEM. Which means they had to buy them first. :P
This is taken from a pretty credible source I must say, namely. Retro Studios' site.

I </3 Sol
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 11:08:17 pm »
  • *whistle*
Retro Studios, founded in 1998, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd.

Wholly owned, thus, Nintendo OWNS THEM. Which means they had to buy them first. :P
This is taken from a pretty credible source I must say, namely. Retro Studios' site.

My mistake, then.

It was actually founded as a second party developer, and the main shareholder sold his shares to Nintendo in 2001. They've never released a non-Metroid game; all the other games they attempted to develop have been cancelled at various stages in development.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 11:42:12 pm »
  • Silly cat!
From what I've gathered Retro are working on a new IP... though, if they did work on a Zelda game, I'd hope it'd be a 2D one.

GOD I WANT ANOTHER 2D ZELDA.

Where the hell did Capcom go? They !@#$% off somewhere...

Minish Cap rocked ;_;

But otherwise, I don't really care who develops Zelda as long the game is new and refreshing like all Zelda games should be. But I honestly think Nintendo is working on it, whatever it is. Still, I loved what Capcom did with Zelda and I'd appreciate it if Nintendo at least had some second/third party developer to work on 2D Zeldas.

Hoffy.
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2008, 01:06:49 am »

Really, Retro Studios?  Don't get me wrong, they're probably Nintendo's best 2nd party developer, (well Monolith Soft is pretty great too), but I've always thought Capcom's Clover Studio would do great things with a new Zelda game.  Clover is nonexistent now so that's impossible, but Okami is the sex.
I'm sure retro would kickass at a zelda game, I really want to see how they'd fare with bigger level design since they love to pack tons of detail into every single area. Plus I think they'd be the ones to finally do something radical with zelda
Like the whole game has a steam punk theme, link riding a big ass tractor/train thing that rips up the ground through this huge desert with old oil wells everywhere and a massive factory/castle off in the distance with huge smoke stacks
it'd be awesome, and something like that should be done at least once to zelda
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 78 queries.